FN-GM Posted September 25, 2008 Posted September 25, 2008 Just seeing what type of virtual setup people have. One of my schools as gone totally virtual with VMware ESX and the other hasn't at all.
CyberNerd Posted September 25, 2008 Posted September 25, 2008 Some Virtual Servers Running In Windows Some virtual servers running in linux
Netman Posted September 25, 2008 Posted September 25, 2008 Went from no servers virtualised to all done on a mixture of Citrix Xenserver and ESXi over the summer and I have to say it really rocks...
pooley Posted September 25, 2008 Posted September 25, 2008 Looking at doing this, but need the time to work out how, plan it properly and allow for downtime. So looking like a summer 09 job.
powdarrmonkey Posted September 25, 2008 Posted September 25, 2008 Gone from four physicals to 5 HP physicals and Xen, with 17 virtuals now.
imiddleton25 Posted September 25, 2008 Posted September 25, 2008 gone with vmware for 6 windows 1 Linux vm's but still got 17 physical boxes 10 are in a cluster so really only 5 i suppose
DMcCoy Posted September 25, 2008 Posted September 25, 2008 Mostly Virtual with ESX for the last 3 years.
Mavericks_ghost Posted September 25, 2008 Posted September 25, 2008 We have at the moment 1 RW(Real World) server using MS Virtual server 2005 R2. It's hosting 4 active servers but all second line stuff, file server; print server; windows updates...as Virtual server doesn't have the clout of VMWare. I'd like to get more out of the whole concept but there's a reluctance to allow any of the frontline stuff to go virtual or to even try it. I think with Hyper-V things might swing more my way because VS2005 hasn't frankly got the legs to cope with much. I love the concept of the differencing hard drive that VS 2005 can use as I can setup an raft of servers in minutes by having one central vhd file, nice and protected, with the "servers" using differenced drives, it's well cool! setup a complete server ready for whatever task in 2 minutes or less... One thing that interests me is the SoftGrid virtual applications, but without a testbed to try it on it's going to be little more than interest... On a separate setup, I've now got a 2008 server, that is using the free vmware server, VS2005 is not compatible with 2008, to host an xp pro client as a windows based apache server and I can definitely feel the difference between VS2005 and VMWare, though memory restrictions mean that this XP client is the only machine I can have active. VMWare gives the capacity of using linux or anything else and I would like to seriously look at linux as an option...
tmcd35 Posted September 26, 2008 Posted September 26, 2008 Pretty much down to two physical servers and everything (some 12-15 servers) else spread across two VMWare ESX Boxes and 1 VMWare Server (runnning on Win2k3) box. Both ESX boxes, the VMWare Server and 1 physical server are connected to the SAN controlled by SanMelody.
pete Posted September 26, 2008 Posted September 26, 2008 Some linux and windows vms running under Linux, slowly being migrated to ESXi.
dhicks Posted September 26, 2008 Posted September 26, 2008 Just seeing what type of virtual setup people have. One of my schools as gone totally virtual with VMware ESX and the other hasn't at all. "All Servers Virtualized" is about the closest - I'm certainly not running any virtual machines under Windows! Around about half of our servers are currently virtualised, I'm working on the rest. This is using Xen on CentOS, with DRBD mirroring LVM volumes between physical machines in case of machine failure. -- David Hicks
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now