_Bob_ Posted July 15, 2005 Posted July 15, 2005 I'm not sure if any of the usual BB scripts support this but it woud be cool if we could have an RSS feed of the new posts on the board. The RSS news feed is good but there's the LGfL board, the schools.ict plus this one and keeping up can be a bit of a chore in itself. Or have i missed somthing really obvious, anyone got a neat way to pull all these feeds together?
Geoff Posted July 15, 2005 Posted July 15, 2005 (Assuming this gets implemented) Firefox Live Bookmarks are your friend.
tarquel Posted July 16, 2005 Posted July 16, 2005 Yeah - it would be nice indeed. I'm probably the only one never to use RSS lol (or maybe I have but dont know it lol ;)) Nath.
thom Posted July 19, 2005 Posted July 19, 2005 With the announcement of RSS integrated into Internet Exlporer 7 I thought now is a good time to look into it. I found a free tool, called SSRSS - Super Simple RSS, that helps create the xml files. I have been able to use them with Firefox livemarks and in a news reader in M$ Outlook 2003. However I can't get the little satelite dish to appear in the status bar in firefox. I loked on the 'net but couldn't find anything that worked. I will have to stick one of those orange RSS images on the page for now. However, apart from news, what other uses can it be used for? Although it was easy to do it seems quite a bit of work for just news.
Geoff Posted July 19, 2005 Posted July 19, 2005 You need to alter the head tags a bit on the pages to make firefox detect the feed. Basically: title="Your Site" href="http://www.yoursite.net/feedname.rss">
thom Posted February 24, 2006 Posted February 24, 2006 Just rediscovered this old post. Thanks for the reply, I had figured it out before i saw you replied though It works great in the IE7 public preview too, I don't bother with firefox anymore, http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/ie7betaredirect.mspx The next thing I want to do is have a little box on the school website that contains the latest news items from the xml feed. I have seen this on loads of sites (including edugeek) but can't find how to do it. FYI, our site is all HTM pages, no asp/php or anything like that.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now