Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi,

 

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but I wanted to ask the community about your tape backups.

 

  • Are you still doing off-site vaulting, or have you moved to another method like cloud-based backups?
  • If you are still doing off-site vaulting:
    • Which service would you recommend? (Restore, Iron Mountain, etc.)
    • How often do you rotate your tapes?
    • Do your tape backups include your cloud data e.g. OneDrive/SharePoint, or just your on-site data?
  • If you are doing cloud-based backups:
    • Which service would you recommend? (Pea Soup, Amazon S3, etc.)

 

Thanks,

Edan

Posted

No tapes here.

 

We have 1 copy on a local NAS, 1 copy cloud based and a final copy on a weekly rotating HDD. 

 

This is only for on-prem data. Our 365 data is backed up using a synology nas with active365

Posted

Currently have 7 dailys on site; 4 weeklys on a storage box on another site; 3 monthly and 4 quarterly on a seperate box on the main site; latest daily on a daily rotated USB.

 

We're in the process of migrating to cloud backup where we would have 1 local copy, 1 cloud copy, and 1 obfuscated copy.

 

I've not used an LTO tape since 2012...

Posted

So I do use LTO for onsite backups of things, once a week.

 

There are daily backups to SSD on the DPM Server and those backup once a week to tape

 

All LTO Tapes go into the very overengineered finance safe, but onsite servers are less and less, and onsite storage is really for the Macs and Student Windows Devices only (because trying to explain to photography that no you have to wait for your files to sync to onedrive was a bit too hard at this point in time).

 

All Staff devices have redirection to OneDrive, with Office 365 and Google Workspace (as most general use student devices are chromebooks) are updated on a rolling task to a Synology box onsite.

Never really worried about it being offsite, as the Finance safe is so thick that is it something stupid like 18 hours fire rated and then that is 2 building fire compartments away from the server room, and those building fire compartments are rather for 4 hours each. 

Never went for sending thing to the cloud for backup because, well you can't get more Air Gapped than an LTO8 tape that is not in the drive.

 

Posted

Still backup to LTO-8 here, but looking at cloud in the near future as licenses for Veeam are up for renewal and the backup server is getting old.   Replacing all the hardware would  be similar costs to get a cloud backup solution in place in the first year at least.

 

Essentially I've got NAS units in place as well so I'm doing D2D2D2T - but the Office365 backup is my biggest concern presently which I want to get something a little bit more robust in place.

 

Pete

 

Posted

I had a brief spell at a private company a few years ago (have since moved back into schools) and they still used RDX drives and I used to lob the previous nights drives into my boot at the end of each day. I still think having offsite media is fine tbh.

IT Manager was old school though. So old school that he was still running server 2021r2 and I dont think it had ever seen a Windows Update. Ever.
 

We have NAS onsite - Altaro VM backup so can restore entire VM if needed, cloud for vital stuff and rotating offsite HDD. We also use Synology for Google Workspace stuff.
 

Posted

I have to say my Synology seems to be rock solid, Backing up both Microsoft 365 data and Google Workspace. The only little annoyance is, because of the way Google Workspace's APIs work, restores there are in Microsoft Office File types not as a Google Doc/Sheet/Slides etc

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...