Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello,

 

I wanted to ask how other organisations handle the deletion of old classroom teams please.

Currently we do not delete them because of our O365 retention policy protecting the SharePoint site and mailbox of the team.

 

I've been trying to find a way to automate this but have not had much success with excluding the individual teams from the retention policy.

 

If anyone has any tips, please share them.

 

Many thanks

Posted

We've set the expiration group setting in Entra to 2 years (this covers GCSE/A level years) so no activity in a team after 2 years gets deleted whilst giving them warnings of 30 days, 14 days, 7 days - Deleted.


Works really well!

Posted

Each year I archive all our KS3 teams and the outgoing Yr11 ones until at least Dec/Jan when I then delete them.

As I have the team GUIDs from where I create them via Powershell each Sept (and use it to keep group membership up to date from SIMS), it's easy to use a Powershell script to then archive the teams on mass.

 

As we backup all our 365 resources to Barracuda, we have the files kicking around for at least a year after if we need to restore them, but so far never needed to

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Thank you.

Do either of you use retention policies in O365?

 

I have the various powershell scripts to do the work, but because of our retention policy, if a team gets deleted the sharepoint site and mailbox stays behind.

Posted

I do have a SharePoint retention policy configured, but it's only applied to a single site and we use Power automate to ensure newly created content has it applied as its for our CCTV exports we only want to keep for a specific duration.

Posted

I normally leave a year, to allow staff to get anything from last year, and then run a script that deletes all teams starting with a specified year.  Not sure how retention would affect this.

Posted
2 minutes ago, TechMonkey said:

I normally leave a year, to allow staff to get anything from last year, and then run a script that deletes all teams starting with a specified year.  Not sure how retention would affect this.

Good practice, we leave 2 years.

 

I think retention would prevent the teams from being deleted, depending on the retention length specified in the policy.

 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...