LeMarchand Posted June 11 Posted June 11 Last weekend was "update weekend" at home when I make sure the five Windows machines in the house are patched and have up-to-date software. I got to thinking about whether it would save me time to set up Action1 for this. I can't see any licensing/T&C type reason why not. Has anyone done this and was it useful in an environment that likely has a higher incidence of more esoteric software?
pete Posted June 11 Posted June 11 I use it to make sure the parent's devices are up-to-date, with occasional ad-hoc remote support. Their setups are pretty vanilla. I have it on the gaming PC at home and told it not to fiddle with drivers on that computer. 1
TwistedHelixis Posted June 11 Posted June 11 I have it at home on 3 kids computers, my PC and my wife's laptop. I also use A1 for the school. 1
chrisgreenwood Posted September 30 Posted September 30 On 11/06/2026 at 15:50, TwistedHelixis said: I have it at home on 3 kids computers, my PC and my wife's laptop. I also use A1 for the school. what is it like for schools? may be considering it as a replacement
LeMarchand Posted September 30 Author Posted September 30 31 minutes ago, chrisgreenwood said: what is it like for schools? may be considering it as a replacement I've deployed it at all 3 of my schools and I find it really useful. When it's first set up there may be some kickback as it finds a lot of stuff to update.
DrCheese Posted September 30 Posted September 30 13 minutes ago, LeMarchand said: I've deployed it at all 3 of my schools and I find it really useful. When it's first set up there may be some kickback as it finds a lot of stuff to update. What's the cost for over the 200 endpoint trial? (If you are above that!) - Reddit says it flies up after that >.<
LeMarchand Posted October 1 Author Posted October 1 15 hours ago, DrCheese said: What's the cost for over the 200 endpoint trial? (If you are above that!) - Reddit says it flies up after that >.< Never asked as each school is it's own entity (I have 3 contracts) and the one with the highest Windows machine count is barely above 100.
Arthur Posted October 1 Posted October 1 On 11/06/2026 at 13:46, LeMarchand said: I got to thinking about whether it would save me time to set up Action1 for this. PatchMyPC have a free and automated updater app specifically for home PCs. https://patchmypc.com/product/home-updater/
LeMarchand Posted October 1 Author Posted October 1 20 minutes ago, Arthur said: PatchMyPC have a free and automated updater app specifically for home PCs. https://patchmypc.com/product/home-updater/ Last time I tried PMPC I wasn't impressed though maybe I should give it another go as it looks more polished now. I think when I tried it it wasn't finding as many updates as UCheck, which is my "final check" tool. I can't remember what I used before UCheck but it worked really well until I was forced to swap because the dev just suddenly shut up shop. I suspect that they were made an offer to fold the project into a commercial project.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now