Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Please help with my network issues, desperate!


Recommended Posts

Posted

I Have got my PS3 and PC connected via a Linksys BEFSR41. I cannot get either device to see each other.

I am sure that i have set media sharing up on both devices and have disabled the windows (i have vista ultimate x64) firewall.

 

I am convinced that it must be a prob with my router bot allowing things through but i can ping my PS3 from the PC.

 

Please help, which ports do i forward and which devices IP address do i enter next to the port number.

 

Desperate pleaes help

Posted

You shouldn't need to forward any ports as its all internal. (Port forwarding is only applicable on outside>inside translations over NAT on that router).

 

It seems odd you can't 'see' each of them if you are certain the firewall is disabled.

 

I've not used the Vista media sharing with a PS3 before, only tversity but it worked OK.

Posted
I'd suspect there is something awry on one/both of them as its least likely to be the router. - Worth checking uPNP is enabled on the router though just incase it's being draconian about it.
Posted
I dont know how this lot works but when you try and connect to the PS3 or the PC try using the IP address instead of a name if you are prompted for a name
Posted

Does the switch itself have any security features that might need turning off like Mac Address filtering, or certain ports blocked perhaps which is stopping the PS3 from being seen?

Also, I'm sure you have already tried this but another network cable?

 

Failing that go buy a Xbox360. :p

Posted

Internal clients (aka ps3 and pc) can usually talk freely and have no restrictions, you only unblock ports incoming (aka from the internet) and route them to a ip.

I assume you have booted your ps3, ran windows media player and then hit the library menu->media sharing and its all checked in there?

Its Media player that links to the ps3 not media center fyi.

And you can ping the ps3 ip but does it have name?

Posted

On the PC, go to the windows media sharing section [with the PS3 all connected and running] and look for the Unknown Device [PS3 will come up as something like this] and allow it access to everything :)

 

If you want a hand, grab me on messenger later.

 

Nath.

Posted

Basically what Nath Said is that dont work.. give me a shout! even though i do xbox360 i might be able to help with PS3.. but first do what Nath said as thats what i would do!

 

James.

Posted

Big thanks to all who replied :)

 

In the end it was a setting that was blocking multicasts that i needed to enable within my router.

 

thanks all

 

PS. ps3 media streaming is great

Posted
I dislike PS3s!! My housemate got one the other week, now every time he turns the damn thing on it disconnects me from the internet! There was a setting in the Network Settings section about media streaming or something. I did a google search and someone suggested turning this off which seems to have helped quite alot!! Was very annoying though!
Posted

@richard:

 

Have you got some crappy orange router then? ;)

 

Seriously though, I dont get a problem with that on the PS3 - either when downloading new content or online gaming, my partner is happily whiring away on ebay/facebook/shopping sites without a problem.

 

Its usually down to something wrong in the setup or "unfortunate" hardware ;)

 

Have seen a few reports about it, but otherwise, it seems to co-exist well.

 

Depends on the broadband connection too of course... if your stuck on a 1M link then yes, I'd imagine it would affect it but so long as its a stable ADSL line, shouldnt really get too much of a problem.

 

In peak usage times, i get about ~3M and when things are quieter late night or day times, i can usually get the full 8M if i'm lucky, but otherwise its about 6M.

 

@Mr_M_Cox:

 

Glad you found it :)

 

Regards

Nath.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...