Guest Guest Posted June 22, 2021 Posted June 22, 2021 (edited) Over the summer I plan on in-place upgrading our SIMS server from server 2016 to 2019. However, I've never done a SIMS installation or upgraded the OS except once when I reverted the upgrade (thank God for snapshots) as I wasn't entirely happy it'd gone through properly. It probably had, but I wasn't entirely sure how to verify everything was working Could anyone give me any pointers as to what to check to verify everything has gone ok? Obviously I need to be able to login and access student data etc We use SIMS, FMS and Discover Any advice is greatly appreciated Edited June 22, 2021 by Guest
3s-gtech Posted June 22, 2021 Posted June 22, 2021 Just found my old post about when I did 2008 R2 to 2012 R2 on my SIMS server (only a couple of years ago - why did I go to 2012 R2?!) Only thing that caught me out was .NET installing an older version on upgrade - that version then didn’t support SIMS latest. Updating .NET fixed it.
ITGURU Posted June 23, 2021 Posted June 23, 2021 Always best to do clean installs, a upgrade doesnt always migrate everything across especially if you've made custom settings in the registry etc.
TwistedHelixis Posted June 23, 2021 Posted June 23, 2021 I know someone that did in place upgrade of Sims server from 2008r2 to 2012r2 then to 2016 and will be doing in place to 2019 this summer.
Michael Posted June 23, 2021 Posted June 23, 2021 I know someone that did in place upgrade of Sims server from 2008r2 to 2012r2 then to 2016 and will be doing in place to 2019 this summer. I've done this also - 2008 R2 > 2012 R2 > 2016. Last I looked SIMS still wasn't officially supported on 2019, but this may have changed by now. Either way, 2016 is still way within support.
Guest Guest Posted June 23, 2021 Posted June 23, 2021 I've done this also - 2008 R2 > 2012 R2 > 2016. Last I looked SIMS still wasn't officially supported on 2019, but this may have changed by now. Either way, 2016 is still way within support.It is now supported. I am aware 2016 is still supported, however, it's our own only 2016 VM and I'd like to standardize on 2019
TwistedHelixis Posted June 23, 2021 Posted June 23, 2021 BTW when I tested a DC going from 2012r2 to 2019, initially I had loads of erros / issues but disabling all the built in virus defender systems in security center, giving the server a number of reboots and installin all the updates seemed to clear every issue.
Michael Posted June 23, 2021 Posted June 23, 2021 It is now supported. I am aware 2016 is still supported, however, it's our own only 2016 VM and I'd like to standardize on 2019 Makes sense then! Primarily I'm still a 2016 shop!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now