Smee Posted May 17, 2019 Posted May 17, 2019 I received a fake BT phone call (on a landline that's not used, I don't even know what the number is) yesterday from an Indian sounding gentleman. Initial call was a recorded message giving options of either key 1 for tech support or key 2 to continue disconnection. I pressed 2. Rather than bore you all with whole conversation the abridged version is that I answered the call with "good afternoon, Scotland yard Police station London which department would you like? Fraud?" After several minutes of said IG getting very irate he said "I need to speak to someone with broken English accent as I can't understand you, you speak to well!" 3
CHiLL Posted May 17, 2019 Posted May 17, 2019 I've had a call directed to my office from our reception staff in the past, where an Indian sounding man was trying to get information from me about my BT line. We were with Link2ICT at the time. I'd completely forgotten about this until your post jogged my memory. Clearly they're going after businesses too, not just home users.
Boredguy Posted May 17, 2019 Posted May 17, 2019 I had one of those automated scam calls the other week when I was off, promptly hung up then took great delight in adding it to the BT block list (which is where the TalkTalk scammers also get added to)
36Degrees Posted May 17, 2019 Posted May 17, 2019 We've had this before. Last week I got an automated message on my extension (through the direct dial number which I mainly use as a test and my OH is the only one who knows it!)supposedly from OFCOM about our line being disconnected.
HFloyd Posted May 17, 2019 Posted May 17, 2019 Speaking of BT, has anyone seen this: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/16/bt-unveils-new-logo-to-match-transformation-to-national-champion
PotNoodleTech Posted May 17, 2019 Posted May 17, 2019 Er if you get a call like that don't press 1 or 2 or anything else as that's how they redirect you to the £10 a minute scam phoneline.
Arthur Posted May 17, 2019 Posted May 17, 2019 Speaking of BT, has anyone seen this: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/may/16/bt-unveils-new-logo-to-match-transformation-to-national-champion Related thread... www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/206642-well-money-well-spent.html Er if you get a call like that don't press 1 or 2 or anything else as that's how they redirect you to the £10 a minute scam phoneline. Do those scams always use the non-geographic numbers (09, 118, 0871, 0872 and 0873)?
Sylv3r Posted May 17, 2019 Posted May 17, 2019 We've had these lately and they appear to be now using the same area code that we have.
SpuffMonkey Posted May 17, 2019 Posted May 17, 2019 I'm getting a couple of theses a day on my home landline. They appear to be spoofing UK numbers. Shame that they've moved to these automated messages, I used to enjoy winding them up
witch Posted May 20, 2019 Posted May 20, 2019 I get these all the time at home I love it when they tell me that I have a problem with my internet and then ask who my provider is! The last one just put the phone down when I said that no, I hadnt seen any issues with the internet lately
TechMonkey Posted May 20, 2019 Posted May 20, 2019 I have to say I do love the Call Guardian on BT phones. I haven't seen any of this and have no cold calls at all anymore.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now