Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Morning all,

 

I'm in need of the expertise and wisdom of the Edugeek collective - I'm helping out another scordary school with a SIMS issue.

 

The NM has left (under a cloud - long story) and currently there is only the technician in place who was never allowed to do anything with SIMS.

 

They have an on prem sims server, no Solus3 and not much of an idea whats going on. I've only ever used Hosted SIMS, so I'm a bit of a loss on how you patch the system.

 

I need to patch the workstations to 7.184 and install some new file sets. The file sets are easy, I have those already its the workstation upgrade patch is the problem.

 

All advice/suggestions and help greatly received!

 

Cheers

 

Ross

Posted
You should be able to download the manual upgrade files from capita's website, its basically an installer and at the end it runs dbupgrade to upgrade the database. You'll need the sql sa details as well.
  • Thanks 2
Posted
naughty naughty......

 

we're still not allowed to do this are we?

 

That's why I didnt put a direct download link for it, but I agree with every one else, their sims support should be doing it.

Posted

Hi all,

 

Thanks for the responses, The update has now been carried out and everything is working again :)

 

To answer some of the points raised:

 

Communicate with whoever your sims support is with, get the passwords you need
- In Pembrokeshire each school has to look after themselves, there's no LA support. SIMS are currently claiming not to able to find the support contract for said school even though the relevant info has been quoted to them.

 

Yeah, whoever supports their SIMS should be working with you on this!
- See above

 

Step 1 - speak to support provider Step 2 - install Solus3 (I genuinely thought it was necessary rather than optional now!) Step 3 - patch from the console
- This is one of the reasons the previous NM left under a cloud. Its now being installed and set up to stop the issue happening again.

 

Thanks again for your help.

 

Ross

Posted
- In Pembrokeshire each school has to look after themselves, there's no LA support. SIMS are currently claiming not to able to find the support contract for said school even though the relevant info has been quoted to them.

 

That's a little worrying - you should have invoices and the like to prove support if you are with Capita Direct for support!

Posted
That's a little worrying - you should have invoices and the like to prove support if you are with Capita Direct for support!

 

Tell me about it. Copies of invoices have been emailed over, i think its just a case of lost in the machine!

 

- - - Updated - - -

 

Step 4 - get a new support contract with a 3rd party support provider :)

 

hahahaha - now that's an idea!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...