ICTNUT Posted April 9, 2008 Posted April 9, 2008 Hi All, I have a funny one here but the background first: All my printers are DHCP assigned an IP from a reseverd list against thier MACs, for some reason these printers (Brother 6050dn) have dropped of the network and are no longer contactable. When going to the printer and printing off a status page I get the following: 192.168.51.217 (via ARP 192.168.49.14) 255.255.255.0 192.168.49.14 What these should be is 192.168.51.217 (via DHCP 192.168.0.3) 255.255.0.0 192.168.0.2 The 49.14 address is our VLE server and the only change on there was an upgrade over the holidays for moodle to 1.9. What I don't understand is why these printers are no trying to get IPs from this webserver (linux) and not the DHCP server. Any ideas anyone????
contink Posted April 9, 2008 Posted April 9, 2008 It seems they're getting their information from a new DHCP service... Have you checked that something like that hasn't been installed on the VLE box somehow?
ICT_GUY Posted April 9, 2008 Posted April 9, 2008 My printers went funny on me last summer, I just bitch slapped them until they stopped doing Monty Python Skits, I mean that stuff get old quick. Also check any device with inbuilt dhcp, such us wireless access points or such like. I had one of mine just up and decide it wanted to give out ip address for no reason, though it had been switched off for 6 weeks prior to this.
ICTNUT Posted April 9, 2008 Author Posted April 9, 2008 I have checked and there is no DHCP service installed on this server.
MK-2 Posted April 9, 2008 Posted April 9, 2008 i know it might be drastic, but have you tried shutting the vle box down then rebooting a printer. it will try to pick up an address again and if it picks up its normal one, then its deffo the vle box causing a prob somewhere. if it still gets the 49.14 one then it cant be the vle box issuing it
powdarrmonkey Posted April 9, 2008 Posted April 9, 2008 [offtopic] Your thread title sounds like the vague paper I get on my desk every morning! [/offtopic]
Michael Posted April 9, 2008 Posted April 9, 2008 Any reason why you don't just give them a static address, then turn off DHCP on the printer?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now