sLiDeR Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 Hope you guys can assist. Im looking to run 2 TFT screens from 1 machine. Each screen should be able to project different apps. So on 1 screen I can see the CCTV footage. And on the 2nd screen I can see my windows desktop and work as normal. Any ideas on the graphics card I need for this or video adapter????
Busybub Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 Depends on your computer and what Graphic card slot it has (if any) PCI-e is the most recent, AGP usually on older machines (3-4 years and older) Some computers are deliberately built without graphics upgrade slots (Dell Dimension 2400 and 3100 springs to mind) Also, if you are using a computer with a low profile bracket you will find it harder to obtain a card, especially if you only have one output bracket. If this is the case PM me, I can forward the address of a website which has PCI-e low profile options. I don't know of any low profile AGP ones...
TechMonkey Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 Double headed is simpler but you can get some cards that have one head but come with a spliter to run 2 screens. We have Dells with Radeon 1300s in that do this and all works well. Amazes students and staff which is an added benefit too.
plexer Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe here running 2 19" Acer TFT's. I keep all my support stuff in one firefox browser on the right hand screen, i.e helpdesk, nagios, wireless management platform, inventory, wiki I work mainly on the left screen which is right in front of me. Also nice to be able to read instructions on the right hand screen while working on the left. Ben
contink Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 Most double header cards will work fine... As far as I remember the problems that used to be around a couple of years ago have disappeared with newer designs. If you're at all unsure it's worth checking your planned system against those that have been recorded here: http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/
Joanne Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 I use Nvidia Gforce 6600... old but good. It has a dvi out and a vga out... dvi goes to me main 19" AND the vga goes to the secondary 17".... works a treat. Sometimes takes a while to get it just right though
tmcd35 Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 Hi, all Just noticed this thread and thought I'd share with you what I have to set up for a teacher after easter: Just bought a HP desktop, AMD 5000+, 2Gb Ram, ATi FireGL dual head graphics. ICT teacher, totally overkill, but it'll keep him happy (I hope). Anyway, we are plugging into it.... ... Two Iiyama 19" Touchscreens. One of the graphics outputs are to be split with projector projecting on to an interactive whiteboard. Will two touchscreens work as a dual head display? How much will the touchscreens and whiteboard conflict with one another? God helps us if someone moves the mouse or VNC's in for remote control action...
dave.81 Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 Double headed is simpler but you can get some cards that have one head but come with a spliter to run 2 screens. We have Dells with Radeon 1300s in that do this and all works well. This is what i'm using to type this, 2 20" widescreen monitors and it runs just fine, and isnt so bad that i cant play the odd game during the holidays on it. Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe here running 2 19" Acer TFT's. I tried one of these but it couldn't display on the 2 20" screens i have so it's gone to the spares shelf.
Ric_ Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 I quite like my setup... 2x NEC MultiSync 2080UX+ TFTs (20.1" running at 1600x1200 each) connected to a Nvidia Quadro NVS 285. Certainly does the job I also run Debian Testing with Gnome and usually have 4 virtual desktops filled with stuff!
john Posted March 14, 2008 Posted March 14, 2008 Someones got a budget thats rather large if they can afford Quadro cards, farrrrr to over priced. DX10 ATI Radeon thingy in mine.
Ric_ Posted March 15, 2008 Posted March 15, 2008 @john: Someone knows a place where he can get very cheap HP workstations (hell... I have three machines for use by kids with Quadro cards in them!!!)
eean Posted March 15, 2008 Posted March 15, 2008 Will two touchscreens work as a dual head display? How much will the touchscreens and whiteboard conflict with one another? God helps us if someone moves the mouse or VNC's in for remote control action... Our touchscreen (not Iiayma) has multihead displays as a feature of the add on driver software, doubt it would work out of the box. The Smartboard software can cope with multiple projectors, so I assume you'll just have to set it up as if there were, even though there isn't! Edit: Oh, and.... Why!? Have you got too much tax payer's cash to waste or something?
laserblazer Posted March 15, 2008 Posted March 15, 2008 GForce 6600 here. I use it with Premiere Pro and it's fine. It has a dvi to vga adapter if the monitors don't have dvi.
Lithium Posted March 15, 2008 Posted March 15, 2008 Matrox DualHead2Go on a Latitude D820 Laptop (TripleHead2Go works well on them too...)
georgebush Posted March 15, 2008 Posted March 15, 2008 You should be able to get away with the cheapest of the cheap really, my laptop with 8Meg intel integrated graphics lets me extend the desktop to another monitor fine. Even something as old as a Radeon 9200 will be ok if your not going silly with resolutions, as long as its got dual VGA or dual DVI which depends on your monitors.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now