Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

This is driving me nuts now. I'm trying to do a clean install on a Dell R530 that's configured with RAID10. I'm using the netinstall version of Debian 8, it all installs fine but when I reboot I get the following error.

 

error attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0

 

Which I presume means grub can't boot it, I've read through some help guides on using the grub recovery.

 

Does anyone have any ideas?

Posted
This is driving me nuts now. I'm trying to do a clean install on a Dell R530 that's configured with RAID10. I'm using the netinstall version of Debian 8, it all installs fine but when I reboot I get the following error.

 

error attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0

 

Which I presume means grub can't boot it, I've read through some help guides on using the grub recovery.

 

Does anyone have any ideas?

20170607_151122.jpeg

 

I presume I should be using /dev/sdb to install the bootloader?

Posted
[ATTACH]43687[/ATTACH]

 

I presume I should be using /dev/sdb to install the bootloader?

This is the error I'm getting.

 

20170607_151636.jpeg

Posted
I recently tried installing Debian 8 onto a server using the built-in RAID controller. Grub just would not work, could never get it to boot. The only way I ever got it to boot was to install the OS on a single disk in AHCI mode. Basically, the RAID controller wasn't well supported and I'm not a Linux engineer so I gave up and did something more fun instead, like stabbing myself with a screwdriver.
Posted
I recently tried installing Debian 8 onto a server using the built-in RAID controller. Grub just would not work, could never get it to boot. The only way I ever got it to boot was to install the OS on a single disk in AHCI mode. Basically, the RAID controller wasn't well supported and I'm not a Linux engineer so I gave up and did something more fun instead, like stabbing myself with a screwdriver.

 

Doesn't sound great!

 

I'm just trying with Ubuntu instead and the network drives are not recognised :( I really do have a love hate relationship with Linux

Posted
This is driving me nuts now. I'm trying to do a clean install on a Dell R530 that's configured with RAID10. I'm using the netinstall version of Debian 8, it all installs fine but when I reboot I get the following error.

error attempt to read or write outside of disk hd0

Which I presume means grub can't boot it, I've read through some help guides on using the grub recovery.

Does anyone have any ideas?

 

Did you use the "non-free" install images that include firmware support for non-standard devices? Index of /cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware

Shouldn't be necessary but just makes life more convenient...

 

Destructions for R630 but should be fine for R530 at Installing Ubuntu 14.10 on a Dell R630 with PERC H730 hardware RAID 10 - mmmm

(uBuntu, but should also work for Debian)

Posted

Thanks for the reply.

 

I'm trying Ubuntu 17, would of preferred the LTS version but at least this one supports the nics out of the box.

 

It seems to be booting up now, not sure if it's because I reduced the size of the partition or if its because of the different version.

Posted
You need the unofficial CD with non free firmware. The installer is seeing plain disks and installing onto them, not through the raid device.

That wasn't the issue. It could see the raid fine. It was because I was creating the boot partition too large and grub didn't like it

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...