arh1a Posted January 9, 2017 Posted January 9, 2017 (edited) Hi, I have everything redirected apart from AppData and we are using Local Profiles not Roaming on Windows 10. I'm just wondering what the pros and cons would be if I redirected AppData? Thanks in advance Edited January 9, 2017 by arh1a
Chuckster Posted January 9, 2017 Posted January 9, 2017 All users AppData are redirected to their home user area, i.e. H:\Application Data, since the days of Windows XP --> 7 --> and now 10. I've not experienced any problems with it being redirected. If anything, it allows all users settings to roam with them on whatever workstation they log on to, knowing full well that their settings etc will be the same as the last time they logged on. 1
3s-gtech Posted January 9, 2017 Posted January 9, 2017 There are many advantages (like user configuration and customisation following them around) but I had to stop using it because it doesn't work with Adobe CS6 (was fine with 5.5). Not sure about the newer CC versions. 1
Geoff Posted January 9, 2017 Posted January 9, 2017 The only issues I've had have been disk usage (so I stuck quotas on) and speed (so I shared it via a Windows VM with a ton of ram for caching). 1
arh1a Posted January 10, 2017 Author Posted January 10, 2017 Thanks for everyone's reply. It sound like its worth setting up and we don't use Adobe CS6 here so shouldn't have any problems by the sounds of it. Just to confirm redirecting the AppData folder in Folder Redirections will just redirect user data like temporary internet files, saved password (this one could be very handy if it does) etc. I think I'm confusing myself as I don't want roaming profiles which I'm guessing would only be if I setup a User Profile Path in the user account properties in Active Directory Users and Computers as well. So if I'm thinking correctly User Data will be Roaming but Local Data with still be stored on any computer they logon in the Users folder on the C drive? Sorry if I'm not explaining myself very well but hopefully it will make some sense.
Arthur Posted January 10, 2017 Posted January 10, 2017 we don't use Adobe CS6 here so shouldn't have any problems by the sounds of it. Redirecting AppData will prevent Google Chrome from running on more than one PC if logged in with the same user account. This may or may not be an issue for you? 1
arh1a Posted January 10, 2017 Author Posted January 10, 2017 We are not planning to use Google Chrome anytime soon as IE does everything we need at the moment. Thank you for letting me know though as I wasn't aware of that issue. It definitely would have been a problem as we have a generic account for foundation which gets used to login on the computers.
Davit2005 Posted January 10, 2017 Posted January 10, 2017 (edited) Exclude certain applications like iTunes that may stick data i.e. updates etc in appdata roaming. Edited January 10, 2017 by Davit2005 1
psydii Posted January 10, 2017 Posted January 10, 2017 Applications are written expecting AppData to be on a local disk. As the number clients increases and the apps in use change you may find odd behaviours/failures. For example ActivInspire with AppData redirected where the network is wireless is a disaster. Spotify too. 1
arh1a Posted January 10, 2017 Author Posted January 10, 2017 We don't use iTunes but how do you exclude certain application?
arh1a Posted January 10, 2017 Author Posted January 10, 2017 Applications are written expecting AppData to be on a local disk. As the number clients increases and the apps in use change you may find odd behaviours/failures. For example ActivInspire with AppData redirected where the network is wireless is a disaster. Spotify too. Now that makes me feel I should just leave it Local. The main reason I was hoping to do this is so people saving passwords in IE then going to another computer and having to save there password again. Also when there profile gets delete locally they have to put there password for IE in again.
Davit2005 Posted January 10, 2017 Posted January 10, 2017 It is done from paths from what I remember. I can't really check AD at the mo to see location. 1
arh1a Posted January 10, 2017 Author Posted January 10, 2017 It is done from paths from what I remember. I can't really check AD at the mo to see location. No problem, if you could confirm when you get a chance it would be much appreciated. Just trying to weigh up all the options.
Chuckster Posted January 10, 2017 Posted January 10, 2017 User Config --> Admin Templates --> System --> User Profiles --> set Exclude directories in roaming profile to enabled. Here, I have added the following so far: AppData\Roaming\Dropbox;Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash 2
Katy Posted January 13, 2017 Posted January 13, 2017 I redirected AppData for a while to a share and found if people were logged on in two places at once (i.e. most of the teachers) it broke some programs (I think it was mostly Outlook, probably also ActivInspire cause that just loves to play up). I never bothered to look into it fully but just assumed it didn't like the fact that its data was being altered by another PC at the same time as it was running. Ended up turning it off and going back to roaming profiles for the teachers.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now