Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Ok, here goes

 

I have a sperate building I cannot physically connect a fibre cable to (for reasons I won't go into), so I am planning on a Gigabit Wireless link. Both side will have the same IP range, share DHCP servers etc, for all intents and purposes it's the same network, with distributed servers, dfs-r, hyper v replications, internet traffic etc.

 

I want to protect the link from unnecessary traffic from either side. I have Aruba 2920 at either side of the link. Can this be done via layer 3 routing, maybe able by IP, or inter VLAN routing etc. Or do I have to stop being cheap and buy routers for either side?

 

Ps, is it better to have the semi-remote side (50 yards away), on a sperate IP range, and properly route traffic,purely for the protection of the wireless link (Mimosa B5 gigabit wireless bridge), or am I over thinking it, and should I just connect em up and treat it as any other fibre link?

 

Cheers in advance guys and gals.

Posted

In theory, by default configuration, a routed port (L3) would be a little more efficient for a p2p link as all the unnecessary L2 packets (DTP, VTP, STP etc) would be automatically deactivated. It would create another "network" so would need a seperate subnet/ vlan applied on the far end switch and then some static routes (assuming the 2920 can do basic L3) on each end.

 

If the 2920 can run some routing protocols you could use a routing protocol rather than statics?

  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
Thanks, I'm going to risk it an see how it goes, there aren't many in the other building, and any connection is going to be better than the 10Mbps VPN they're currently running on.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...