robknowles Posted February 3, 2008 Posted February 3, 2008 Hello, Our Fax looks like it's soon about to die and I'm looking at a replacement. Initially I started looking at traditional fax systems i.e. receive a fax and it prints on paper but after looking at the costs of running the fax machine about £1,700 over the past three years I thought how about a system that is entirely digital - i.e the faxes come in and then can be simply emailed to staff therefore avoiding any paper printing at all. I'm wondering as anybody got such a system or know a good place to find them? Ideally I want to keep the equipment onsite and use our existing fax telephone - not use an online service. Also I would like a dedicated device to still send faxes - I can't expect staff to find a computer with a scanner, scan it and then fax it that way. Thanks, Rob
Geoff Posted February 3, 2008 Posted February 3, 2008 Linux box + modem, Samba and HylaFax. Windows clients get a 'fax printer'. Printing to this results in the Linux box faxing the document. Incoming faxes get dumped into a samba file share. 1
Oops_my_bad Posted February 3, 2008 Posted February 3, 2008 Linux box + modem, Samba and HylaFax. Windows clients get a 'fax printer'. Printing to this results in the Linux box faxing the document. Incoming faxes get dumped into a samba file share. Interesting, but how the do incoming faxes get routed? Doubt staff would have the initiative to be trapsing through a file share incase they've been faxed
Geoff Posted February 3, 2008 Posted February 3, 2008 Well once they are on the Linux box, you can route them however you like. The print server/file share option is easiest to implement, hence why I suggested it. But there's nothing stopping you doing things other ways instead. Via email for instance.
john Posted February 3, 2008 Posted February 3, 2008 Some phone systems allow E-Faxing, Im sure that there is an option for Siemens ones to do that, as well as Alcatel and BT, oh and Cisco.
budgester Posted February 4, 2008 Posted February 4, 2008 Has you photocopier got faxing facilities ?
Jona Posted February 4, 2008 Posted February 4, 2008 I think linux box is the way forward for flexability, be sure not to buy a cheap win modem as that will cause you all kind of pain.... There's a rough guide (for debian) here: http://www.aboutdebian.com/fax.htm If you don't feel you've got the expertise to set this kind of system up there are a number of online alternatives: http://tinyurl.com/2p5d5p http://tinyurl.com/38h6er (Standard never used them, just know of them disclaimer, other services are avaliable...) Cheers Jona 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now