Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Just deployed some windows 10 laptops and they work fine for the staff but if a pupil logs on the file explore icon is missing, so they have no access to the network drives. I assume the issue is with our server gpo as I have used the same gpo that I have for our windows 7 laptops.

 

I am slowly going through the policies but wondered if anyone new specifically which one might be causing the issue and save me some time.

 

Cheers

Posted

I noticed this, too. Similarly, the shortcut to Notepad doesn't work either. I haven't encountered any other programs besides these 2 with this problem (yet).

 

Given that there's a 'File Explorer' link on the first 'page'(?*) of the Start Menu, which does work (though didn't initially, and I have no idea why..), as well as an arrow icon that provides the Quick Access menu, it's not really that big of a deal for us.

 

* For lack of a better term.

Posted

I use Classic Shell, so end users can access Explorer or This PC from here, or This PC on a Folder Redirected Desktop.

 

I don't think there is a GPO that can remove File Explorer from Windows 10's default Start Menu, however profile corruption is one reason why it doesn't always appear. Hence another good reason to use Classic Shell.

Posted
I don't think there is a GPO that can remove File Explorer from Windows 10's default Start Menu, however profile corruption is one reason why it doesn't always appear. Hence another good reason to use Classic Shell.

 

I haven't implemented the mandatory profile yet, and occurs with all my test users no matter how many times I regenerate the profile, so I doubt it's anything to with that. Just another 'quirk' of W10.

 

All I've done is logged in as the local administrator and copied shortcuts for the redirected start menu. The Notepad and File Explorer links don't work, but everything else does (including default stuff like Volume Control, WordPad, Character Map etc)

Posted
I had an issue similar to this, except my students could see file explorer but it wouldn't do anything when they clicked it. I had User-Policies-Admin Template-Start Menu and Taskbar-Remove user's folders from the Start Menu enabled. Once I disabled this setting, my students could click and open File Explorer from the start menu.
Posted
I had an issue similar to this, except my students could see file explorer but it wouldn't do anything when they clicked it

Are you referring to the 'File Explorer' on the first screen of the start menu, where you'd click it, the start menu would close, but no explorer window would open? If so, yeah, I had that issue, but I've resolved it.. Somehow.. I don't know what I did. But it works now.

Posted
Yep that is what I was talking about. It took a while to determine what group policy was blocking it, but once I turned off the policy that i mentioned, everything started working.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...