cooper Posted November 29, 2007 Posted November 29, 2007 One of our servers is booting to the Windows 2003 Splash screen and stops. Any ideas how i can fix this, Do you think its the Boot ini file corrupt and i just need to pop in the CD and do a restore? Thanks for help given Cooper
Michael Posted November 29, 2007 Posted November 29, 2007 By pressing F8 after the server passes the POST screen, try "Last known good configuration...." and if that fails, try Safe Mode. If it boots ok using Safe Mode, your Windows install should be ok, and it'll be either a driver, a windows update or possibly an application creating the problem. I would check the Event logs.
cooper Posted November 29, 2007 Author Posted November 29, 2007 Thanks Michael Will give that a go in the morning
laserblazer Posted November 29, 2007 Posted November 29, 2007 We have a Viglen server that picks a drive at random when it boots, seldom the OS drive. It is necessary to go to setup and reset the drive boot order each time. I was told that there was a BIOS fix but it hasn't helped.
Michael Posted November 29, 2007 Posted November 29, 2007 That behaviour sounds very odd laserblazer. If you pre-configure the boot sequence and other settings in the BIOS then save, the information should be retained. Of course it won't be saved if the motherboard battery is faulty. You'll also find the date and time in Windows would also be completely wrong. This is a typical symptom when a motherboard battery is faulty. I would try changing the battery and see if it works for you
laserblazer Posted November 29, 2007 Posted November 29, 2007 It's done it from virtually new. All the other settings including the date are ok.
6Foot2 Posted November 29, 2007 Posted November 29, 2007 We have a Viglen server that picks a drive at random when it boots, seldom the OS drive. It is necessary to go to setup and reset the drive boot order each time. I was told that there was a BIOS fix but it hasn't helped. We have a number of Viglen workstations which do not 'remember' their boot sequence. They always try PXE boot, then CD, then HDD. I have set the sequence it the BIOS at: Floppy drive, CD, HDD [several times]. Most of these have also done this from new. I know that they are not servers I just thought I should post as the symptoms are similar and as i said they are Viglen [Viglen Incepta II]
dan400007 Posted November 29, 2007 Posted November 29, 2007 @laserblazer Is their no option in your BIOS to disable the other boot devices?
cooper Posted November 30, 2007 Author Posted November 30, 2007 I can select boot in safe mode but will not boot anyfurther! Any other ideas Thanks Cooper
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now