Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
if you want seamless file, print and internet sharing in the home i'd opt for the mac mini for file sharing

 

Defiantly an option worth considering, I think. I do still want proper hardware RAID 1, though - I figure an external RAID box will do nicely. I see the Mac Mini does USB and firewire, but not eSATA. Naturally, I now can't find a decent external RAID box that does firewire (although USB is common enough, just a third the speed). Anyone know of a good one? Anyone familiar with the internals of the Mac Mini - would it be possible to take apart, turf out the included harddrive, and find somewhere to drill a hole to add a new eSATA port or two (how many internal SATA port does the Mac Mini have?)? If that's not an option, can the Mac Mini boot (reasonably fast) off a USB-connected drive?

 

--

David Hicks

Posted

I considered WHS and didn't like the restrictiveness of it. There are some neat features demonstrated on some of the microsoft video blogs but in the end I opted for Ubuntu Server 64bit. This is running my webserver/ssh/torrentflux/ushare (stream to xbox360)/samba plus I keep adding more and more stuff.

 

BTW I've got a dell poweredge server with 2x500gb drives (raid) and a 80gb drive with the OS on - comes in at 85watts so not as green as some of the more power friendly options!

Posted
I considered WHS and didn't like the restrictiveness of it. There are some neat features demonstrated on some of the microsoft video blogs but in the end I opted for Ubuntu Server 64bit. This is running my webserver/ssh/torrentflux/ushare (stream to xbox360)/samba plus I keep adding more and more stuff.

 

In the end I decided I don't have the money to buy lots of fancy new machines (or Windows Home Server), so I've just bought the external RAID device:

 

http://www.centralhardware.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=912

 

I figure I can get that to work via USB fast enough for a home server - I'll hook it up to my fanless 1Ghz VIA board. I'll install a Linux OS on it, of course - probably Freebuntu. I want this thing to share files and do web-based email, maybe source code control, nothing fancy. I have a Dell PowerEdge at the moment, but it's proving a little bit to noisy for my living room.

 

--

David Hicks

Posted
I think im going to just get the latest entry level HP Proliant ML1 series server for home as at £199 its a flippin bargin and has free double ram and hard drives on it till the end of the month!
  • 1 month later...
Posted
I posted earlier on regard getting a HP WHS, i now have one a great idea but WHS has one very large problem that comes into play when you have two or more drives in play, CORRUPTION OF DATA :confused: I have lost alot of data BEWARE!!! Microsoft even know about the problem, answer is that a fix will be out around JUNE08 LOL what a bad joke...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...