blu4 Posted November 5, 2014 Posted November 5, 2014 Hello, To begin with I assume you never heard of a company called "Promise"- they are from the US of A and manufacture storage devices like SANS and NASzzez. Anyway, my school has got an ancient SAN from them- probably purchased about 7-8 years ago. Our current network manager doesn't know anything about it- there lies the problem. If a disk fails we can't rebuild the array since the web interface is on the old IP range, and for the life of me I could not fish out that IP address or even a MAC. I tried to access via a serial cable and it gives me very limited options. I sent Promise an email regarding this issue and they told me that I'm using a wrong (?) serial cable! I am using a RJ11 to DB9 cable. They also told me that I need to purchase a "special" one from their website for around 12 dollars + shipping + tax + democracy charges. My question lies here: Any suggestions how I can find out the IP/MAC address of this SAN? I tried giving myself the old IP from the range and scanning all attached devices. Can they really use a "special" serial cable? Below is the cable I am using.
X-13 Posted November 5, 2014 Posted November 5, 2014 http://firstweb.promise.com/upload/support/Manual/VTrak_E-Class_%20QSG_v2.0.pdf Page 29. Basically, you use PuTTY to connect to the SAN and go from there. And that cable looks pretty standard to me...
blu4 Posted November 5, 2014 Author Posted November 5, 2014 http://firstweb.promise.com/upload/support/Manual/VTrak_E-Class_%20QSG_v2.0.pdf Page 29. Basically, you use PuTTY to connect to the SAN and go from there. And that cable looks pretty standard to me... Done that already It does not prompt me for a password and has got 7 commands only of which none tells me any network info at all.
X-13 Posted November 5, 2014 Posted November 5, 2014 Done that already It does not prompt me for a password and has got 7 commands only of which none tells me any network info at all. Strange... There's a few bits on their support site, but it would be a OEM modded version.
blu4 Posted November 5, 2014 Author Posted November 5, 2014 (edited) Strange... There's a few bits on their support site, but it would be a OEM modded version. The support guy also mentioned that I might have the J610f which does not ask for a password however, Everywhere I look it shows the E610f model. Any other way to find out an IP address of the SAN? Edited November 5, 2014 by blu4
TronXP Posted November 5, 2014 Posted November 5, 2014 If you know the ip range and the device accepts ping requests you could use something like angry IP scanner and scan the whole range til it finds an IP that pings back.
Oaktech Posted November 5, 2014 Posted November 5, 2014 You might also have some success with Cain and Abel - I've used that to find equipment that has got lost because it's just kept working through multiple IP range changes!
blu4 Posted November 5, 2014 Author Posted November 5, 2014 If you know the ip range and the device accepts ping requests you could use something like angry IP scanner and scan the whole range til it finds an IP that pings back. I tried that already- I assigned myself the old IP and tried to ping everything on the old pool with no luck :/
blu4 Posted November 5, 2014 Author Posted November 5, 2014 You might also have some success with Cain and Abel - I've used that to find equipment that has got lost because it's just kept working through multiple IP range changes! Got the program, not very intuitive- any help on how you get the IP?
Oaktech Posted November 5, 2014 Posted November 5, 2014 Gimmee a sec and i'll have a look, it's been a while (I used it to discover things to document and once I'd documented I uninstalled it, it's a pretty scary application!).
Oaktech Posted November 5, 2014 Posted November 5, 2014 Ok, you should just be able to open the program, go to configure and select the adapter you want to sniff on, then go to the sniffer tab and then hit the activate sniffer button on the top left panel - the one that looks like the same icon as the sniffer tab and let it go. You may need to disable windows firewall while it does it's thing.
blu4 Posted November 5, 2014 Author Posted November 5, 2014 Ok, you should just be able to open the program, go to configure and select the adapter you want to sniff on, then go to the sniffer tab and then hit the activate sniffer button on the top left panel - the one that looks like the same icon as the sniffer tab and let it go. You may need to disable windows firewall while it does it's thing. Thanks, I will give it a try and report back.
blu4 Posted November 5, 2014 Author Posted November 5, 2014 Ok, you should just be able to open the program, go to configure and select the adapter you want to sniff on, then go to the sniffer tab and then hit the activate sniffer button on the top left panel - the one that looks like the same icon as the sniffer tab and let it go. You may need to disable windows firewall while it does it's thing. No luck :/ The SAN has got two network ports- tried them both and still no reply...
Oaktech Posted November 5, 2014 Posted November 5, 2014 No luck :/ The SAN has got two network ports- tried them both and still no reply... Ar5e. I'll ask a few of my slightly 'less desirable' computer based friends and see what they can come up with.
blu4 Posted November 5, 2014 Author Posted November 5, 2014 (edited) Ar5e. I'll ask a few of my slightly 'less desirable' computer based friends and see what they can come up with. Also I am not sure if I am wasting my time here because I dont know 100% if that SAN was configured on the network, but if they used the web GUI then it must have been! :/ EDIT: It was- my current net manager used to access it but it was 5 years ago.. Edited November 5, 2014 by blu4
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now