Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Morning all,

 

Does anyone know how to remove access or prevent students from running things within the 'Apps' section of the Windows 8 start menu (the bit below the tiles)?

 

Thanks

 

Ben

Posted
Thanks for the response... what's the knock on effect of disabling UAC? All I really need to do is prevent access to things like Java (see attached screenshot).

Apps.jpg

Posted

Could you simply delete the shortcuts you don't want students accessing?

 

what's the knock on effect of disabling UAC?

I wouldn't recommend it.

 

If you turn off UAC you are running with admin privileges and access rights all the time, and all of your processes are running at High integrity level. Even when you're browsing the web at a non-secure site. The potential for harm there should be obvious. (Source)

 

In addition to the above, turning off UAC will also disable file-system and registry virtualization.

Posted
I've found that the usual 'Remove common program groups from the Start Menu' GPO setting does this, and prevents them from running. As it turned out this wasn't what we wanted (we need the Camera app), so I set a deny permission on the All Users Start Menu instead.
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

I'm not 100% sure but the Java links are normally found in control panel (Windows 7) which we block access to but for what ever reason they appear in the Apps section for Windows 8.1.

 

IIRC, aren't you meant to use AppLocker to block access to Metro apps.

 

That's what I thought but they don't appear in my AppLocker to be blockable... maybe because they're not official Windows 8 Apps?

Edited by jaminben
Posted
but for whatever reason they appear in the Apps section for Windows 8.1.

I think it's because the Java installer creates shortcuts in the following folder.

 

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Java

 

Try deleting that folder and they should disappear from the Apps section of the Start Screen.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
I think it's because the Java installer creates shortcuts in the following folder.

 

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Java

 

Try deleting that folder and they should disappear from the Apps section of the Start Screen.

 

YAY, that worked :)

 

Now what's the best method for deleting that folder from 63 other machines? I guess I could do it with a powershell script.

Posted
PowerShell startup script or Group Policy Preferences perhaps.

 

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but I've never used GPP before... how would you do it with that?

Posted (edited)
Computer Configuration/Preferences/Windows Settings/Files - New - File - Delete option and select the path.

 

Ah, easy as that.... now I feel a bit dumb :o

 

Every days a school day as they say...

Edited by jaminben

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...