mattx Posted November 16, 2007 Posted November 16, 2007 This is a picture of my long suffering IBM keyboard I managed to 'borrow' from my last job before I was finally laid off. http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/937/keyboardom6.jpg Now, it’s getting old and I am getting twitchy - this thing is built like a brick sh1t house and for me typing on anything else just does not compete. I've looked on E-bay - nothing, I've looked on other sites - nothing. What I don't want to do is ring up IBM and ask them if they still have any old ones kicking around as they will: A: Think I'm a nutcase B: Think I'm drunk C: Tell me they have a few left and charge me the earth for one. What I need to know is if anyone knows of one or you have seen one on your travels, then please let me know..... I need a spare just in case. Tell tale sign it’s what I'm after is that it has NO windows key, and it weighs half a ton. I am lucky that mine is PS2 but you can get them with the larger connection which name escapes me now - I am happy for one of those as I have a converter - somewhere.
plexer Posted November 16, 2007 Posted November 16, 2007 I did have at least one of these kicking around. Used to have several as I refurbed a load of old ibm desktops that came out of a building society years ago. Will have a dig around and see. Ben
mattx Posted November 16, 2007 Author Posted November 16, 2007 Ooooohhhh - Ben, if thats the case you will make me VERY happy. :-)
Ric_ Posted November 16, 2007 Posted November 16, 2007 Cherry also make a comparable keyboard (see http://www.cherry.de/english/products/cable_keyboards_g81-3000.htm ) but they aren't cheap.
maniac Posted November 16, 2007 Posted November 16, 2007 Is that one of the good ones where each key has a definite click to it? I had one of those until very recently, it came of an IBM PS/2 model 60 that was made in 1987 which I rescued from a skip! (it was in working order too!) The computer has long since gone, but the keyboard survived until last year, the only reason I got rid of it was because some of the keys started failing. It did 19 years, which I thought was pretty damn good! Good luck finding one, afraid I can't help, but good to know I'm no the only one who hangs onto things for faaaar too long! Mike.
CyberNerd Posted November 16, 2007 Posted November 16, 2007 I have one of these (at home - wouldn't let it near the school!) - exactly the same by the looks of it. p/n 1391406 It's an IBM model M. with the patented clickety "buckling spring" http://www.preater.com/modelm/ I got mine from here http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard when my old one finally gave up after many years.unfortunately it looks like they sold out I followed the top link to find this: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/ in the US http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/categories.main/parentcat/9246
mattx Posted November 16, 2007 Author Posted November 16, 2007 Is that one of the good ones where each key has a definite click to it? Oh yes, and that link: http://www.preater.com/modelm/ Just says it all, mines does not have the Model M swapping connection but there were plenty of those around where I came from. I'm gutted I did not take a load with me when I went - there were loads of them around. I did not realise these were so popular - checking the other links just indicates how good they are - mine like on some of the links was made in Scotland and boy have I abused it in the past - still going though. I'm a little worried its left at the school now !! When I bought it in with me on the first day a few years back it raised a few eyebrows. Well I am determined to find another !! I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and try and get someone in the USA ship one over if I get it on E-bay..... Its going to be expensive but worth it !!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now