mitchell1981 Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 We are looking to buy a few 7 metre HP 10G SFP+ Direct Attach Cables. One thing we are confused about is the mention of X240 or X242. We have no idea what this means, and there is nothing on the internet about this that I can find. Can anyone tell me the difference. The switch we are using is a HP E5412 so we want the cables to be compatible. Module is a J9538A. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
localzuk Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 The only difference I've found between them is the thickness of the cable itself, and the "pull release" clip is mounted differently (one on top, the other on the bottom). 1
Oaktech Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 As far as I can tell, as long as the OM number is correct for the speed you need to run it at (OM3, OM4), and the connection is correct (lc) everything else is unimportant? 1
localzuk Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 As far as I can tell, as long as the OM number is correct for the speed you need to run it at (OM3, OM4), and the connection is correct (lc) everything else is unimportant? Direct attach cables are copper. They don't have an OM number. 1
Oaktech Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 Direct attach cables are copper. They don't have an OM number. My Bad...
mitchell1981 Posted July 16, 2014 Author Posted July 16, 2014 Great. Thanks for the replies. I will go ahead and get the x242 version.
Jasbo Posted July 16, 2014 Posted July 16, 2014 Out of interest, what are you plugging them into, I'm presuming server nics? Would be interesting to know what type etc
snoerre Posted July 19, 2014 Posted July 19, 2014 I bought 50 pieces of 10GBase SR SFP+ optics for 39$ each (plus shipping) shipped directly from China recently after I read about the vendor on webhostingtalk forum. So instead of buying HP DAC´s I buy compatible optics...
localzuk Posted July 19, 2014 Posted July 19, 2014 As mentioned earlier, this thread is about copper direct attach cables, not optical.
snoerre Posted July 19, 2014 Posted July 19, 2014 Well, indeed. But why did/do we buy DAC? Only it is cheaper than optics. 2 pieces of chinese optices + 10m OM3 fiber cable is cheaper than HP X242...
localzuk Posted July 19, 2014 Posted July 19, 2014 Well, indeed. But why did/do we buy DAC? Only it is cheaper than optics. 2 pieces of chinese optices + 10m OM3 fiber cable is cheaper than HP X242... Also, channelling fibre optics between the back of a server to a switch at the front of a cabinet is more fiddly, and fibre optical cable is not suited to the job unless it is armoured or if the devices are in separate cabinets. So, copper is better suited to the job.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now