Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Mounting a linux volume on our windows backup server.


Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi was wondering if someone could help me.

 

I not very good with linux but I will explain the problem and hope someone understands what I am trying to do.

 

Our backup server failed which was a windows server 2003. and all our windows servers and web server which is Gentoo Linux would backup up their data to this backup server. There was a perl script which my predesessor developed which ran on the backup server and it would copy the data from the windows servers fine and for the linux server he mounted the volume onto the backup server and it would create a *.gz file which cotained all the HTDOCS of the linux server and this was the backup of the webserver.

 

I have now purchased a new server with server 2003. installed the same perl scripting software. My predessor left me instructions on exactly how to restore if there was a server failure.

 

But on the new server it not working how it should. On the new server all the windows directories are copying over fine but the Linux share just won't mount.

 

I not very good with linux but briefly know how to access its Webmin software which I access using https://servername:10000 on the linux server. Theres absolutly loads of features and I am not sure if I need to change anything in there.

 

I just dont understand why it doesn't work because it's an exact replica of the old server. I have even used the same computer name as the old one and all the drive letters are exactly the same.

 

Please help!

Posted

> the Linux share just won't mount

 

On each of your Linux machines you'll find a file called smd.conf (path /etc/samba/smb.conf). There might be some security restrictions set in that file that specify which machines can connect to its shares.

 

--

David Hicks

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...