6Foot2 Posted April 29, 2014 Posted April 29, 2014 Link 1: World War I in Photos - The Atlantic A 10-Part Series By Alan Taylor Link 2: World War I in Photos: Introduction - The Atlantic A century ago, an assassin, a Serbian nationalist, killed the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary as he visited Sarajevo. This act was the catalyst for a massive conflict that lasted four years. More than 65 million soldiers were mobilized by more than 30 nations, with battles taking place around the world. Industrialization brought modern weapons, machinery, and tactics to warfare, vastly increasing the killing power of armies. Battlefield conditions were horrific, typified by the chaotic, cratered hellscape of the Western Front, where soldiers in muddy trenches faced bullets, bombs, gas, bayonet charges, and more. On this 100-year anniversary, I've gathered photographs of the Great War from dozens of collections, some digitized for the first time, to try to tell the story of the conflict, those caught up in it, and how much it affected the world. Today's entry is part 1 of a 10-part series on World War I, which will be posted every Sunday until June 29. In this installment, I hope to give a glimpse of the war's beginnings, and a preview of what is to come. Come back next week for Part 2. http://www.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/wwi/introduction/w_01.jpg Soldiers of an Australian 4th Division field artillery brigade walk on a duckboard track laid across a muddy, shattered battlefield in Chateau Wood, near Hooge, Belgium, on October 29, 1917. This was during the Battle of Passchendaele, fought by British forces and their allies against Germany for control of territory near Ypres, Belgium. (James Francis Hurley/State Library of New South Wales)
6Foot2 Posted May 6, 2014 Author Posted May 6, 2014 Thread bump: The next in this series [45 photographs] has been posted: Link: World War I in Photos: The Western Front, Part I - The Atlantic World War I in Photos: The Western Front, Part I In 1914, the German Army sought a swift decisive victory over France, invading from the north. The plan failed, leading to a years-long bloody stalemate where millions of soldiers braved horrific conditions fighting for mere yards of territory.
sonofsanta Posted May 6, 2014 Posted May 6, 2014 Oh brilliant - the WW2 series they did a year or two back (that I only saw cos you linked to it) was superb. I'll enjoy this 1
ICTDirect_Dave Posted May 6, 2014 Posted May 6, 2014 That's a very somber, but brilliant page. Great find!
6Foot2 Posted May 6, 2014 Author Posted May 6, 2014 Oh brilliant - the WW2 series they did a year or two back (that I only saw cos you linked to it) was superb. I'll enjoy this For those who didn't see it the thread mentioned is here: Link: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/jokes-interweb-things/77997-photoarchive-world-war-ii-photos-retrospective-20-parts.html
6Foot2 Posted May 13, 2014 Author Posted May 13, 2014 Bump: ...Today's entry is part 3 of a 10-part series on World War I, which will be posted every Sunday until June 29... Link: World War I in Photos: Technology - The Atlantic http://i.snag.gy/2N3Pz.jpg
6Foot2 Posted June 30, 2014 Author Posted June 30, 2014 Bump. Reminder: This series is now complete. Part 10 was posted yesterday. As previously 45 photographs have been posted. http://www.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/wwi/century/l_13.jpg Watches found with the remains of French WW1 soldiers, on June 3, 2013 in Verdun, France. At least 26 bodies of French soldiers were found in the cellar of a farm in the totally destroyed village of Fleury-devant-Douaumont. Seven were identified by their military identification plate.(Jean-Christophe Verhaegen/AFP/Getty Images)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now