TheGoodGuy Posted March 6, 2014 Posted March 6, 2014 Just wondered if anyone here uses fingerprint authentication for windows and how well it works.
ICTDirect_Dave Posted March 6, 2014 Posted March 6, 2014 I've tied my fingerprint to my login password for my work laptop - Works pretty well so far. However, the machine we use to clock in with here absolutely refuses to work with my fingers! Damn Technology! 1
LeMarchand Posted March 6, 2014 Posted March 6, 2014 I had it on an older laptop, and it was fine. We did try it site-wide on the pupil machines but found that lots of the kids (Primary), especially the little 'uns, didn't have the necessary co-ordination to swipe their print properly and some of the really young ones didn't have well-defined enough prints. 1
TheGoodGuy Posted March 7, 2014 Author Posted March 7, 2014 Thanks for the feedback. I am at a primary school, it would be nice to use fingerprint login as the little ones struggle typing in usernames and passwords, so we end up making the same login for them to use, but then they end up saving over each other's work! Windows 8.1 is supposed to integrate more seamlessly with fingerprint authentication Maybe I will purchase a couple of readers just to test with, but if it struggles with primary children then it may not work so well. I'd suggest barcodes but they would just lose them :/. Wish we could get the children microchipped!!! Would be useful in many ways!
localzuk Posted March 7, 2014 Posted March 7, 2014 (edited) You really want to test whether fingerprint readers work very well with the little fingers. I've yet to see a fingerprint system that works reliably with primary aged kids. When we tried such a system for our cashless catering system, we found that some of the tiny little fingers didn't even get detected as being on the reader! To be fair though, some of the fingers were so skinny they were like matchsticks. Edited March 7, 2014 by localzuk
fiendishlyclever Posted March 9, 2014 Posted March 9, 2014 My laptop has an authentec (?) fingerprint reader. I'd estimate the accuracy is about 50% - sometimes requiring two or three swipes (but still earlier than entering complex passwords)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now