Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've seen a job advertised that asks for a good knowledge of SBS2003, I'm currently running found Windows Server 2003 - standard edition.

 

Does anyone know how much it varies from this? Is it similar? I'm guessing it would be, but I don't want to look into this job if it's entirely different and my training wouldn't really apply to it at all.

 

I also wouldn't want a job where I'd be dealing with it if I was going to struggle :D although lets face it MS server versions are usually pretty easy to get to grips with.

Posted
Check out Small Biz Server, its based on Windows 2003 with wizards and integration with exchange isa etc. If I were you I would order a trial copy and install it, if you are familier with server 2003 youshould find yourself at home.
Posted

> Does anyone know how much it varies from this? Is it similar?

 

Windows SBS 2003 expects to find itself as the root of the domain tree on the network. Having more than one SBS server on a network will result in one of them producing a sulky error message and shutting itself down after a couple of hours.

 

SBS 2003 is designed with /small/ networks in mind. Licenses for SQL server are included in its price and in the price of more CALS. This makes the CALS pricy but good value if you're running a business with maybe 10 Windows client machines that all need to access some database-backed application. This probably means it's not best suited to school environments, where you might have 50/100/150+ clients who don't need SQL access for anything.

 

--

David Hicks

Posted

Cheers dhicks, Its actually on a job I was considering applying for and it's not in a school!

 

I'm looking to move way from schools a little, bit fed up of staffs attitude and constantly silly demands being made by them :p

Posted
I had never used SBS until 18 months ago, but was fine with Server 2003 and the bits within SBS. Installed SBS and though OMG why on earth can't MS port this setup into standard Server 2003 as it was much quicker and smoother, as it just does it all for you. Its identical to work, fine it has some fancy wizards sat on top of the Server 2003 Active D etc but you just close the wizards and use the normal Server 2003 stuff your used to.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...