Rozzer Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 Hello, Just read a rumor of apple insider and mac rumors that the expected release of leopard is 26th october. Whos interested in buying it then? I think i am going to grab a copy soon as possible wanna really wanna use the power of that 64bit processor Ross
tscnmuk Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 How much are the releases of the MAC OS usually then? I am VERY new to all of this having only purchased my first one a couple of weeks ago - probabaly a mistake time wise
DMcCoy Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 Not usually that expensive as there is no upgrade route and you need a Mac anyway. Think its around £60 from the education store.
Rozzer Posted October 5, 2007 Author Posted October 5, 2007 I was told it was something from 50 - 60. Ross
localzuk Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 Hmm... I wonder if I can convince my boss to let me get it? *Becomes charming*
GrumbleDook Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 Yep ... I'll be getting it for me and one of the other teachers ... the plan is to roll it out to all machines next summer along with the updates for iLife and iWorks.
Guest richard Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 Bit gutted as its the last version with Power PC support.
FN-GM Posted October 5, 2007 Posted October 5, 2007 I was told the same thing today, but this guy also added when it comes out apple will be also releasing the final version of bootcamp. Good you might think because it will no longer be a BETA, but apparently Apple are sending updates to the current installs of bootcamp BETA so it will stop functioning and the final bootcamp is only Leopard compatible.
torledo Posted October 10, 2007 Posted October 10, 2007 Hello, Just read a rumor of apple insider and mac rumors that the expected release of leopard is 26th october. Whos interested in buying it then? I think i am going to grab a copy soon as possible wanna really wanna use the power of that 64bit processor Ross Hell yeah... Lots of reasons to get Leopard New Dock Bootcamp Leopard Server The new leopard server looks to have some great improvements - hope the new SIU 2 lives up to my expectations.
Koocha Posted October 10, 2007 Posted October 10, 2007 I've only had my 24" iMac a couple of months and can't wait for Leopard
kingswood Posted October 10, 2007 Posted October 10, 2007 Yep ... I'll be getting it for me and one of the other teachers ... the plan is to roll it out to all machines next summer along with the updates for iLife and iWorks. That would be my plan too- Leopard Server and clients in and configured by the end of the summer. Paul
Rozzer Posted October 11, 2007 Author Posted October 11, 2007 Well i am hoping to convince managment to upgrade to leopard. Like you said there is a lot of cool new features which are coming and would be good to see here Ross
torledo Posted October 15, 2007 Posted October 15, 2007 Yep ... I'll be getting it for me and one of the other teachers ... the plan is to roll it out to all machines next summer along with the updates for iLife and iWorks. I understand that imovie 08 has been extensively changed and they've removed some video editing features that may limit it's usefullness for teaching. You can still stick with imovie HD and upgrade the others all on the same machine so not really a problem. iworks is nice but office 2008 if you can afford it is the dogs knackers.
GrumbleDook Posted October 16, 2007 Posted October 16, 2007 Yep ... I'll be getting it for me and one of the other teachers ... the plan is to roll it out to all machines next summer along with the updates for iLife and iWorks. I understand that imovie 08 has been extensively changed and they've removed some video editing features that may limit it's usefullness for teaching. You can still stick with imovie HD and upgrade the others all on the same machine so not really a problem. iworks is nice but office 2008 if you can afford it is the dogs knackers. iMovie in iLife08 is aimed at quickly getting clips of film spliced together and onto a DVD or a short clip for YouTube or your .Mac account. If you want to do a bit more they still include iMovie HD for all the funky transitions but it does not manage your clips to the same extent iPhoto does. I still prefer to use iMovie HD, but I did find the clip management very handy in the new version. Almost getting close to Final Cut Express in some things.
PEO Posted October 16, 2007 Posted October 16, 2007 apple computers also announced today the development of a computer chip that can be implanted into a woman's breast and play music. The i Tit will cost £399 and is regarded as a majour breakthrough as women are always moaning that men usually just stare at their tits and never listen to them. ha ha ha sorry had to get that in
Guest Posted October 29, 2007 Posted October 29, 2007 lol @ /\ yes released last friday and would you believe a new mac arrived in our office on Thursday , so i went to the apple website and ordered a upgrade cd for £5.95, which arrived today, and all i can say is wow! having been a pc guy all my life, its a shock but i think my next laptop will be an ibook
FN-GM Posted October 29, 2007 Posted October 29, 2007 lol @ /\ yes released last friday and would you believe a new mac arrived in our office on Thursday , so i went to the apple website and ordered a upgrade cd for £5.95, which arrived today, and all i can say is wow! having been a pc guy all my life, its a shock but i think my next laptop will be an ibook I thought they stopped doing ibooks and they do the macbook & macbook pro now.
GrumbleDook Posted October 29, 2007 Posted October 29, 2007 It is ... but most people still remember iBooks and PowerBooks. Just to set the record straight ... it is not all sunshine and light. There are many people who are having major issues with putting it on to MacBooks and MacBook Pros ... including me. It went onto our Mac Minis fine, it just does not like my MacBook Pro, and the latest guidance is for me to get the original install disks, completely wipe / erase / format the drive (recreating the volume) and do a clean install. I am now hanging on until some better guidance comes out, but it is damned infuriating after having queued up on Friday evening.
webman Posted October 29, 2007 Posted October 29, 2007 I don't see what the problem is? 1. It just works. How much time have you spent troubleshooting your PC? Imagine a computer designed by people who hate to waste time as much as you do. Where all the hardware and software just works, and works well together. Get a Mac and get your life back.
GrumbleDook Posted October 29, 2007 Posted October 29, 2007 This is the first upgrade / install of OS X that has ended up like this ... and I am not happy. I truly am just used to Macs just working ... the last time I had issues was when I failed to bless a system folder on the master image of 7.5.5 that we put on 5200s. Anyway ... enough of the Macs Vs traditional PC boxes running windows ... I just wanted to let people know that there has been a bug that seems to be widely reported to affect MBs and MBPs. I'll put up a thread as things progress.
webman Posted October 29, 2007 Posted October 29, 2007 I didn't say a thing about windows... I just highlighting something that the highly-pretentious orchard say which simply isn't true
GrumbleDook Posted October 29, 2007 Posted October 29, 2007 And I am just highlighting that the rarety of an issue like this for me is a shock when something does go wrong.
torledo Posted October 30, 2007 Posted October 30, 2007 lol @ /\ yes released last friday and would you believe a new mac arrived in our office on Thursday , so i went to the apple website and ordered a upgrade cd for £5.95, which arrived today, and all i can say is wow! having been a pc guy all my life, its a shock but i think my next laptop will be an ibook I thought they stopped doing ibooks and they do the macbook & macbook pro now. Yes, they've stopped making the ibook, and isight cameras and 17inch imacs...all of which i'm a bit peeved about. All will be forgiven if they come out with a 14.1inch widescreen macbook pro. Thanks for the heads up grumbledook. Are there any issues with leopard when installing on any of the ppc models ? BTW just ignore webman hen he tries to poke fun at all things mac. He's just an out-and-out mac hater. Which is a shame for him as Apple have done a hell of a better job with leopard than Microsoft did with Vista in spite of the odd teething problem. Plus expect the next version of os x (10.6) to include bootable ZFS volumes!!!!! and a from the ground up Finder (fingers crossed) to leave Microsoft eating dirt. tbh the next version of Windows is going to be all about addressing the serious shortcomings in Vista as opposed to providing any real advances. So i'll upgrade to Vista, but I've no interest in future Windows developments beyond that. The really exciting stuff is happening on OS X and Linux.
DMcCoy Posted October 30, 2007 Posted October 30, 2007 The early macbook pros are rather bad when it comes to reliability though. There was some fault with the logic board that affected 2 out of 3 of our first production run 15" mbp. One failed just after the warrenty ran out, the other within the first few months. The third might have done too but it was stolen so I have no idea. I'm really trying to find out whats improved in os x server but it seems to be mostly lots of stuff that really wasn't needed while the things that desperately need improving were ignored. I moved to 10.4 very quickly, 10.5 seems like it can wait a while.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now