beancole Posted November 14, 2013 Posted November 14, 2013 Hi All, I am wanting to create a whole new website using Joomla 3, please can someone tell me if it is possible to install Joomla 3.0 along side Joomla 1.5. I want to build a new site while the other is still running. Once I have finished I want to scap the old site. A) is it possible B) How do I do it? Regards, Ben
3s-gtech Posted November 14, 2013 Posted November 14, 2013 Should be - just whack it in a new sub-directory of your host. The database should work fine alongside. To do it - create a new directory on the host, extract the install directory into it (or copy and paste) via FTP/SFTP, and run it. 1
fiza Posted November 14, 2013 Posted November 14, 2013 I dont use Joomla myself but I cant see why you couldnt run both. You create a new website and install Joomla 3 in there. Shouldnt interfere with your original website. 1
beancole Posted November 14, 2013 Author Posted November 14, 2013 Should be - just whack it in a new sub-directory of your host. The database should work fine alongside. To do it - create a new directory on the host, extract the install directory into it (or copy and paste) via FTP/SFTP, and run it. So all I need to do is install it in my wwwroot file create a new folder called home or something similar? Once I am done how do I point my domain name to it. please bare with my I have managed to never do back end stuff before.
3s-gtech Posted November 14, 2013 Posted November 14, 2013 Does your domain name currently point at a site on that server? If so, you can just rename the folders when you've built the new site (and update the config files) or change the links (perhaps by redirecting users from / to /home). If your current domain name points to another server entirely (which I doubt here), you'll need to get your DNS settings changed. Inside wwwroot, create a new folder, any relevant name (perhaps joomla, or website, or indeed home). Pop the new site in there. 1
spadam Posted November 14, 2013 Posted November 14, 2013 Hi Ben, You can install Joomla and set up the database for the new site by following the steps here: J3.2:Installing Joomla - Joomla! Documentation then do what 3s-gtech said when you're ready to migrate from the old site to the new. Not sure how you're planning to develop the site but if you're looking to style it yourself rather than using a standard template I recommend give the Warp Framework a look. You can download the Master Theme for free which has minimal styling and then just edit the css to style it however you want. 1
beancole Posted November 15, 2013 Author Posted November 15, 2013 So got this far;- Copied Joomla Files to my new directory wwwroot\home Followed the Joomla instructions to open the Joomla Installer but am told "Your host needs to use PHP 5.3.1 or higher to run this version of Joomla!" Gone to the PHP site and downloaded the relevant version of PHP to the same wwwroot\home folder. Followed the PHP instructions to set the php.ini up but still get the same error "Your host needs to use PHP 5.3.1 or higher to run this version of Joomla!" Am I missing something completely obvious? Any more information would be greatly appreciated.
beancole Posted November 15, 2013 Author Posted November 15, 2013 Fixed it, had PHP manager installed in IIS7 but also had WAMP installed??? why dont ask, previous IT Manager.
spadam Posted November 15, 2013 Posted November 15, 2013 First put this in a php file to check what version of php is actually running on the server: <?php phpinfo() ?> If it's still the old version then it's hard to say why it's not working without knowing more - If you provide more detailed information about what host / webserver you are using and steps you have taken then somebody may be able to help more...
beancole Posted November 15, 2013 Author Posted November 15, 2013 First put this in a php file to check what version of php is actually running on the server: <?php phpinfo() ?> If it's still the old version then it's hard to say why it's not working without knowing more - If you provide more detailed information about what host / webserver you are using and steps you have taken then somebody may be able to help more... Was because WAMP and IIS were messing each other up some how, removed wamp and made sure the correct version was in PHP manager for IIS7. still not working but should be able to sort the rest.
beancole Posted November 15, 2013 Author Posted November 15, 2013 Fixed now just had to delete the browser cashe
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now