rlculver Posted September 10, 2007 Posted September 10, 2007 Hi, I am just about to order my CC3 network and workstations. Do I go for workstations which have 2 x 512MB or just a single 1 x 1GB stick of memory. The motherboard used by RM only supports 2 Memory Slots. I was womdering whether to keep one slot free for future memory upgrades (when Visita arrives to RM - I have software assurance) or just have 2 x 512MB sticks. RM say the two sticks help with network login performance. Is this right? I know that dual channel memory does help, but does it help that much? Any comments please
john Posted September 10, 2007 Posted September 10, 2007 I'd go for the 1x 1gb stick, but TBH with memory so cheap get it at 2GB now rather than later.
markcuk Posted September 10, 2007 Posted September 10, 2007 id go for 2gb minimum these days specially if you have to keep the systems longer than 5 years etc. plus get the highest spec you can afford you don't know how long you might have them!!!!!! 4-5 year replacement plans don't always get followed etc mark
monkey_boy Posted September 10, 2007 Posted September 10, 2007 As a general rule though, in answer to your original question, two sticks of n amount will perform better in the majority of motherboards than one stick. It's not just limited to network logon speeds but general quickness of the system will benefit from making use of any dual channel capabilities on your board.
MyDejaVu Posted September 10, 2007 Posted September 10, 2007 but if he uses 2x512 then if he plans to use vista later, then he will be stuck with 1 gb maximum, I would recommend to get the machines with 2x1gb now because the prices of memory when getting older they dont decrease, but if he is tigh with budget at this moment, then one 1gb stick will do for the time being.
FN-GM Posted September 10, 2007 Posted September 10, 2007 if you go for 2 X 512MB and come to upgrade to 2GB at dome point it will cost you more because you will have 2 1GB sticks to buy appose to buying one if you get 1GB sticks then you will only need 1, if you get me...
Quackers Posted September 10, 2007 Posted September 10, 2007 Go with what Monkeyboy says, what he says in right, in a dual channel board which lots are, you get better performance with 2 sticks of ram, as you need 2 sticks to make use of the feature.
Ric_ Posted September 11, 2007 Posted September 11, 2007 Go with what Monkeyboy says, what he says in right, in a dual channel board which lots are, you get better performance with 2 sticks of ram, as you need 2 sticks to make use of the feature. I think that what people are saying is that this is the cazse but it isn't necessarily significantly faster. By using the single stick of 1GB you will allow for a cheaper upgrade path in the future (one which won't pain you to throw out all those sticks of 512MB RAM!).
ICT_GUY Posted September 11, 2007 Posted September 11, 2007 Depends on the processor. A castrated Celeron is not going to benefit as much from faster memory access as much as a quad core Pentium. It will however benefit having lots of memory.
enjay Posted September 11, 2007 Posted September 11, 2007 In very limited testing here, I didn't see a whole lot of benefit for the dual channel memory. I'm not disputing that it is technically faster, but opening Word seemed much the same speed either way, so personally I would go for 1x1GB as it leaves room for future expansion.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now