MkII Posted September 7, 2007 Posted September 7, 2007 Well it looks like I'm out of education - just been offerred a job at the Local Authority as Desktop Support. More money, prospects (the biggie), training, days off, and holidays when I want, working with and for friends. So glad to be leaving the pressure of trying 'til I'm blue in the face to make management face up to the need to invest in the back end before it completely falls apart - they're so much interested in the shiney, pretty stuff that impresses people, thinking short term all the time. And I guess with the way things have gone I just don't have the heart for my current job anymore. Interview today was great. Spent all last night trawling through the advice on here. I was really confident, which is not usual for me. I would have been happy with just the interview going so well. This was my first try so I fell quite lucky. I'm still going to be looking around for more of a server and network support role, but this new job has the opportunity to move into that anyway, so whatever happens it's all good.
ajbritton Posted September 8, 2007 Posted September 8, 2007 Congratulations Mark and welcome to real world (sorry, couldn't resist). I've worked in LA ICT support for more years than I care to mention and I've loved almost every minute of it. Would you care to mention the LA in question? Also, what will you be doing exactly?
MkII Posted September 8, 2007 Author Posted September 8, 2007 I agree that schools are definately not the real world in my experience too. Powys is the LA, IT Support is based in Llandrindod Wells. The job involves installation and user support, covering a triage desk on a rota. The County is large so there's some driving involved. 6000 users on as many desktops. The structure seems standard around here: Network and Database support are the next rung up, with departments having dedicated sections for their particular applications. Don't know much more than that at the moment, althouh I was shown the whole structure plan. The LA runs Dell XP desktops and MS Office (although there's some testing of Open Office) on a four year refresh plan, connected to samba file servers.
GrumbleDook Posted September 8, 2007 Posted September 8, 2007 Congrats. Working for the LA is not as bad as it seems but most seem more switch on than they used to be a few years ago.
rhyds Posted September 10, 2007 Posted September 10, 2007 We'll be sorry to loose you to the big bad peeps at PCC, but all the best Mark!
alan-d Posted September 10, 2007 Posted September 10, 2007 All the best Mark Pop in now and again just to pee the rest of us off
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now