+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Exchange 2010 Free Backup/Recovery Software? in Technical; Is their a free solution anyone is using and would recommend?...
    Thank Post

Exchange 2010 Free Backup/Recovery Software?

Is their a free solution anyone is using and would recommend?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Windows Server Backup? I used it recently and it works really well. I haven't had a chance to restore anything yet though.

http://exchangeserverpro.com/exchang...-server-backup
    http://exchangeserverpro.com/schedul...-exchange-2010

3. 2 Thanks to Arthur:

bio (18th January 2011), jmair (14th January 2011)

Thank Post
    I've been using that for my servers but didn't think it backed up the exchange mailboxes. I'll take a look at this tutorial though for sure if they have a way to use it. Thanks a ton Arthur!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Using it myself having set it up using the articles above about a month or sobback, and it works a dream

Thank Post
    This article gives good instructions on how to do individual mailbox restore after restoring a database via server backup to an alternative location:
    How to Restore an Individual Exchange 2010 Mailbox with Windows Server Backup - Exchange Server Pro

Hope that helps?

7. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

Arthur (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    I'm using WSB in my quasi-test environment and it seems to work fine. Not that I trust it as far as I could throw it, it's probably the best free option. Without elaborating further, backup should be the last thing you go cheap on.

Thank Post
    We use both Windows backup and for offsite, Attix5. Both use the VSS copy technique.

My understanding is that the VSS writer mechanism is built into a number of products, including (latest) Exchange and SQL server and thus, written by the people who know about the data being backed up. The backup solution then initiates the writer to do its thing then reads the data in a standard way irrespective to the product being backed up. This is then backed up.

I feel that this mechanism will work equally well whether or not its MS Backup or another paid product, ie Attix5. The fact that the product itself produces the backup data ensures that it is backing up pertinent data, something that another product, not using VSS, may have to specifically code for and thus may have to match any changes to underlying data structures for different product versions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ianh64 View Post
    My understanding is that the VSS writer mechanism is built into a number of products, including (latest) Exchange and SQL server and thus, written by the people who know about the data being backed up. The backup solution then initiates the writer to do its thing then reads the data in a standard way irrespective to the product being backed up. This is then backed up.

I feel that this mechanism will work equally well whether or not its MS Backup or another paid product, ie Attix5. The fact that the product itself produces the backup data ensures that it is backing up pertinent data, something that another product, not using VSS, may have to specifically code for and thus may have to match any changes to underlying data structures for different product versions.
    You are correct in that snap is built in to SQL, Exchange and Server 2008(R2) these days, and that applications simply talk to the VSS Service and VSS reader/writers to do the backup. The difference, however, is how the applications interact with the backups. For example, WSB will simply dump a vhd of the drive at a particular point in time.

The difference, however lies in the post-backup usability. Restoring with WSB is a cinch, however, you must restore to a recovery mode database. Anyone who's had to do this before knows while it is doable, it's a right pain and to be avoided. Some alternate solutions (read: paid) that also use VSS include things like (but not at all limited to) granular mailbox recovery, journaling that actually works, and so on and so forth. I've used StorageCraft's ShadowProtect and CommVault Simpana. Both are fantastic products. They do require a bit of an outlay but the benefits far outweigh the costs.

You may at first think WSB is cutting the mustard, but I think you'll find in time you need a more comprehensive suite.

My 2c.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_tech View Post
    ^ The free edition doesn't backup Exchange.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im just using the built in Windows Server Backup. It is now Exchange aware :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartwilkie View Post
    Im just using the built in Windows Server Backup. It is now Exchange aware :-)
    It is indeed and works well I've used it since I got my Exchange box

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread