+ Post New Thread
Network and Classroom Management Thread, Client32.ini cannot be edited in Technical; I am running Netsupport v11.3 and would like to change the room that a computer is located in through the ...

Thank Post

Client32.ini cannot be edited

I am running Netsupport v11.3 and would like to change the room that a computer is located in through the client configuration. We are running Windows 7 clients and AD on Server 2008 R2.

I have been looking for knowledge bases that might provide an answer and have not been able to find one that explains why the option to change rooms is greyed out.

I seem to be the only tech in the school board that has this issue too.

Capture.PNG

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    You could try removing and re-installing the client. Alternatively, is it something you can do from the teacher/admin console?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are netsupport group policy templates. It is controlled by that?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never used Netsupport, But what rights does the user account your logged in with have?

Have you tried "run as admin"?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You could try removing and re-installing the client. Alternatively, is it something you can do from the teacher/admin console?
    I have tried doing a clean install on my tech/admin console and still the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    There are netsupport group policy templates. It is controlled by that?
    Just after I started this thread I thought about GPOs, had look into them and set all of the options to not configured in GPM, but I still have these two being applied.

GPO: NetSupport School
    KeyName: SOFTWARE\Policies\Productive Computer Insight\PCICTL\ConfigList\Standard\TCPIP\Port
    Value: 53, 0, 52, 0, 48, 0, 53, 0, 0, 0
    State: Enabled

GPO: NetSupport School
    KeyName: SOFTWARE\Policies\Productive Computer Insight\PCICTL\ConfigList\Standard\TCPIP\CallByNam e
    Value: 48, 0, 0, 0
    State: Enabled

Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Never used Netsupport, But what rights does the user account your logged in with have?

Have you tried "run as admin"?
    The Deployment tool requires Admin rights to run, so it prompts for Admin as soon as I run it and I have full Admin rights on my tech console.

Thank Post
    You will need to speak to whoever set up the Templates.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TopCat88 View Post
    You will need to speak to whoever set up the Templates.
    Unfortunately I can not do that, I have taken over for the Tech that was here and they were the only one to use templates. None of the other Techs use the ADMX to set up NetSupport, so I am left trying to figure this out on my own.

I think that I have narrowed down what the issue is, some where in the system there is a list that controls how the computers are grouped based on the OU they are located in.

An example of the OUs I have, Computers>Student Use>Rooms

When I change a computer from the computer lab to the staff work room. Netsupport will change the location from Computer Lab to Workroom.

So once I find out where the list is, I will be able to modify it to correctly show the locations of the computers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sammer021486 View Post
    Unfortunately I can not do that, I have taken over for the Tech that was here and they were the only one to use templates. None of the other Techs use the ADMX to set up NetSupport, so I am left trying to figure this out on my own.

I think that I have narrowed down what the issue is, some where in the system there is a list that controls how the computers are grouped based on the OU they are located in.

An example of the OUs I have, Computers>Student Use>Rooms

When I change a computer from the computer lab to the staff work room. Netsupport will change the location from Computer Lab to Workroom.

So once I find out where the list is, I will be able to modify it to correctly show the locations of the computers.
    Have you contacted Netsupport Support Desk to see if they can help further?

Thank Post
    I found an old email that the previous tech used and was able to get a hold of him.

After all of the trouble shooting and testing I thought NSS was using a look up file to assign the computers to their respective room, but the previous tech had placed a GPO for each Room's OU, setting the location of the computers to that room. It never occurred to me to drive deeper into the OU tree to see if each room had a template applied to it, it was just looking at the root of the OU and working with the template at the root.

Thank you all for your help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread