+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Licensing Questions Thread, XP licenses, volume and oem in Technical; Originally Posted by tmcd35 What a tangled web Microsoft weave. Is VECD not just the license to access the VM? ...

Thank Post

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    What a tangled web Microsoft weave. Is VECD not just the license to access the VM?

I was under the impression the actual windows installation license for the VM on the server would be seperate. Thus by neccessaity probably a FPP copy, with VL Upgrade if you want to use a VLK and clone the vhd.
    hm... perhaps I'm not the only one who suffer from migraine after reading the M$ EULA (>_<)".

getting the OEM Windows XP license and then subscribing with M$ VECD/VDA is the option to go ? .. cmiiw..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This is purely my understanding of the rules - I hope I am wrong and someone can definitively correct (for the cheaper).

- You can't officially by OEM licenses without buying atleast 3 harware components (ram/mobo/hdd/etc), you need to be building a system or an OEM to qualify for OEM licenses. However you may find a friendly reseller who'll break that rule :shrug:

- So you need a FPP license if you can't buy OEM. I think an old Windows 98/98SE/2000/NT4/XP Pro license from eBay would be cheaper than a new Win7 FPP License

- Unless you buy XP Pro FPP from eBay you'll need a Volume License Upgrade License in order to get downgrade rights for XP Pro for the the VM

- You then need the VECD license for the terminal accessing the VM. Depending on whether its a thin client or desktop with SA covered OS installed depends on which of the two types of VECD license you need to access the VM with.

- The VM will probably need a CAL as well if you are running a Windows Domain based Network.

3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

albertwt (29th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    To run a Windows VM for VDI purposes you need either a device without a valid windows license and VECD. If you already have a windows license with SA then you can get VECD for SA (it's cheaper) instead to allow you to run in a VM.

However as from July if you have a windows license with SA you'll no longer need VECD for SA - it's being included as a SA benefit. VECD is also being renamed to VDA

VECD/VDA allows you to run windows VMs using Thin Client devices that don't have their own windows licenses
    I've re-read this and this ...

Microsoft VDI Licensing changes Software Ruminations

and this

Microsoft VECD: Diagrams Software Ruminations

and this

VECD Licensing Made Easy/Easier Calfo’s Blog

And I think I understand it now!

You don't need any OS licenses for the VM - that is covered by the VECD license. It's just the licenses on the client machines you need to worry about. Thus the destinction in VECD between Thin Client and Desktops+SA clients.

That is certainly alot cheaper and more pratical. Makes VDI worth a closer look!

5. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

albertwt (29th March 2010)

Thank Post

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I've re-read this and this ...

Microsoft VDI Licensing changes Software Ruminations

and this

Microsoft VECD: Diagrams Software Ruminations

and this

VECD Licensing Made Easy/Easier Calfo’s Blog

And I think I understand it now!

You don't need any OS licenses for the VM - that is covered by the VECD license. It's just the licenses on the client machines you need to worry about. Thus the destinction in VECD between Thin Client and Desktops+SA clients.

That is certainly alot cheaper and more pratical. Makes VDI worth a closer look!
    Hi tcmd,

yes it is sounds cheaper by paying the subscription only (assuming the bare metal PC use VMware view 4 ?)

If we get Windows VECD/VDA then we dont need to have Windows7 as the OS ???.

my understanding is that VECD/VDA is the full L+SA, meaning we dont have to have a full underlying OS on the device. VECD/VDA is all that is needed for a device not covered with SA ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12