+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Licensing Questions Thread, OVS and VLSC in Technical; @ Sheridan In your product list, do you not have the Key Management Service Host available to download? That's all ...
    Thank Post
    @Sheridan In your product list, do you not have the Key Management Service Host available to download? That's all I needed and I've just managed to deploy and authenticate Office 2013 on every computer in my school.

Copied from my VLSC product list:
    KMS.JPG
    Last edited by StevieM; 2nd October 2013 at 11:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    To set up a KMS hosts I need a KMS key to set this us - MS don't provide this through OVS so thats a bit misleading. I understand my servers aren't licenses but the whole point of KMS is to activate volume clients!

And the MAK activation limit is pretty low - if you setup OVS for 200 FTE staff you're going to have a lot more devices than 250 (or even 500 if you increase it)
    As I said, we have OVS here and we get our KMS key through it. So, it isn't the OVS that means you don't have the right key.

Thank Post
    I've managed to setup the Office (2010 in our case) KMS host, but cannot do this for Windows 7 clients. Our servers are all licensed under Select and the clients under the OVS (Education park with Office/OS and CALs)

I rang MS and they simply say I'm not entitled to a KMS host key under this OVS as the servers aren'y included. I used the KMS host key from one of my Select agreements but this doesn't seem to have added any client OS's to the KMS host!

Thank Post
    Our servers are all licensed under Select and the clients under the OVS
    Same here. We purchased our server licences and CALs when we upgraded our network. All we have under EES is Office and Windows. When I click on the Key dropdown in the product list, it shows both KMS and MAK. Strange that yours doesn't do the same. If I were you, I would take it up with your reseller. I'm sure there is a cooling off period if your not satisfied with the system.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    Same here. We purchased our server licences and CALs when we upgraded our network. All we have under EES is Office and Windows. When I click on the Key dropdown in the product list, it shows both KMS and MAK. Strange that yours doesn't do the same. If I were you, I would take it up with your reseller. I'm sure there is a cooling off period if your not satisfied with the system.
    I wonder if it has changed since you took out your EES?

This is more complicated than it needs to be - all we want to do is activate Windows 7/8 clients and Office 2010! I thought the KMS server would do that but so far I've only got the Office side working.

Thank Post
    I wonder if it has changed since you took out your EES?
    I doubt it. We've only just taken it out at the start of this academic year, i.e. a month ago. Saying that, I've not tried deploying OS yet - but I least I can access my KMS key

Hope you get it sorted without too much (more) trouble.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure whether I'm just getting this wrong. I activated our KMS host using the KMS key from a Seelct agreement. This was successful and so was the office 2010 KMS installation.

But when I list all of the products (slmgr.vbs /DLV /ALL) it doesn't show any Windows OS keys.

However when I changed a Windows 7 client to the new OVS KMS key and activated it (slmgr.vbs /ato) it activated ok - and with it being a KMS key that must have gone through our KMS server?

Thank Post
    I don't think it shows any keys regardless (ours doesn't, other than the partial KMS server key). You can use VAMT to check and troubleshoot the status of client machines though - it's an excellent tool (I use VAMT2 because its lower maintenance)

Thank Post
    I think I'll have to give up on this and revert back to MAK

My understanding of this KMS was that you installed a KMS server, activated it with a KMS host key and then added your KMS client keys to it (office, windows etc).

My KMS host has activated using the Select KMS host key , and seems to have accepted the office 2010 kms keys - but will not accept the Windows 7 one (Error: 0xC004F015)

TBH I wish I'd stuck with select and oem now.

Thank Post
    I think I'll have to give up on this and revert back to MAK

My understanding of this KMS was that you installed a KMS server, activated it with a KMS host key and then added your KMS client keys to it (office, windows etc).

My KMS host has activated using the Select KMS host key , and seems to have accepted the office 2010 kms keys - but will not accept the Windows 7 one (Error: 0xC004F015)

TBH I wish I'd stuck with select and oem now.
    Not sure. We licensed our DC with a KMS host key and installed the Office 2010 key and patch and that's it.

MDT uses a KMS option, as does office, anything that throws a wobbly about invalid product keys, we throw a KMS Client key at it (KMS Client Setup Keys), activate it and it's usually happily licensed.

Thank Post
    I'm sure you've seen this, but just in case it's any help - getting error 0xC004F015 when trying to register a windows 7 license - Microsoft Community

Thank Post
    I think we've been given duff licenses - we've got no 'host' license for our KMS server. We have KMS licenses for Windows 7 that seem to be host licenses and our Office 2010 installs don't activate with kms!

What a carry on, I thought kms would simply this.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To clarify - you add a KMS key at or above the level of the machines you want to activate with it. So, you'd add either a Server KMS key or a Windows 7 KMS key, not both.

For example, we have a Server 2012 Datacenter KMS key in place here, and it activates all our servers and clients.

Thank Post
    Do you have Windows 2012 listed in your license list which says KMS B or KMS C

When we reinstalled our KMS host in the summer onto a new server, I had to use a Server 2012 Datacentre KMS key since Microsoft had removed Windows 7 for Win8/2012.
    All our Windows 7 devices then happily register since the 2012 key works for older OS versions.
    How to configure a KMS server in Windows Server 2008 R2 | ivan's blog was a good step by step guide to get KMS configured

Thank Post
    As we've only got the basic OVS we only have KMS licenses for Windows 7/Windows 8/Vista

None of them will install using slmgr.vbs /ipk <key> - either the error is as above or it simply says invalid product key.

I only want to activate Windows 7 and Office 2010 clients at the moment, with Windows 8 following later but I'm completely stuck now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast