+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, VHS to AVI in Technical; Hey all, We want to implement some video editing in our school, copying VHS to and AVI format - Can ...
    kerrymoralee9280

Question VHS to AVI

Hey all,

We want to implement some video editing in our school, copying VHS to and AVI format - Can anybody suggest the hardware we will need to do this pretty well.

I've found this http://misco.co.uk/applications/Sear...1941&CatId=421

which seems to be pretty cheap - but it also has good reviews. Just wondering if anyone has any experience.

Thanks,

Thank Post

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    Aaarghhhh - not dazzle... nooooo

/goes off to clear up the bodies of technicians as someone mentioned the 'd' word...

Seriously - save yourself a massive headache and find another way...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    VHS to AVI? seems a bit defunct.

any reason why its specificly vhs?

Thank Post
    perhaps someone has alot of VHS tapes they want to archive they dont last forever and a digital version could be more flexible, used at the same time in multiple locations etc etc.

im also guessing that "Avi" was used as a generic term for digital video.
    Last edited by gaz350; 30th January 2008 at 03:17 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gaz350 View Post
    perhaps someone has alot of VHS tapes they want to archive
    We (well, by "we" I mean our Librarian) have converted a few old VHS to DVD - not quite as versatile as AVI/MPEG but it does the job for purposes of showing them to a class. If someone were to specifically want it as an AVI then they could always rip it themselves from the DVD.

Of course, the legality of media transfer of this nature, especially for multi-location viewing as suggested by Gaz350, is a separate question entirely...

Thank Post
    i have set up a video into a dvd recorder for transfering vhs onto dvd, i have then, on occasion run the dvd through handbrake which converts to avi or mpeg opr whatever really. bit cumbersome but it works.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I use this box:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Revi...rticleId=11532

And then compress the data even more to MPEG2 - then stick it on our media server, [ well NAS box ]

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    a vhs to dvd converter would indeed be the way to go, but as he says video editing implementation, i was wondering if he was in fact refering to having video cameras that run from VHS, in which case i would have suggested switchig to mini-dv.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Once again, I would like to refer people to the frequent posts about copying to DVD existing videos.

Search for ERA and / or copyright and you will see plenty of threads discussing this and options to do it (or resaons why you can't).

Thank Post
    I've not actually tried from a VHS, but we use an Osprey ViewCast 210 card in a rubbish PC to capture from Digital Cameras.

It's going to be used to capture from VHS though, so I might post back when I find out how it is.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,703 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use a rather simple method to capture a/v feeds to digital format. We just hook up the av output of the video player to the av in on one of the schools video cameras. Then you can just dump the files onto a computer via fire wire and encode or burn as necessary. Easy and free if you already have a camera set up for video editing stuff.

Thank Post
    We use a Pinnacle moviebox/pinnacle dazzle and Pinnacle studio that came with it..VHS in one end, other into USB, and bingo.

I also have an old analogue TV card in my workstation with a VCR plugged into it, and I record from that direct into movie maker.

kerrymoralee9280
    Sorry for the confusion - lets say Science have videos (VHS). Old videos that take up a lot of storage space and rely on an old technology. So I want to put these onto a digital format (lets say AVI's or any other format you suggest) and store on a NAS box so they can access them easily and freely.

I've looked into Dazzle but didn't want to buy it without advice from you guys. I just need a way to be able to do it, with the least amount of hassle and the best quality available.

I'm not bothered about copyright issues, that's an argument for another day - I just want plain and simple advice about what is the best hardware to buy to do the job.

Thanks,

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrymoralee9280 View Post
    I'm not bothered about copyright issues, that's an argument for another day - I just want plain and simple advice about what is the best hardware to buy to do the job.
    Is that not a rather blinkered approach?

Also, why spend ages researching the right product, spend out money on it and then find that what you're trying to do is illegal?

kerrymoralee9280
    It's not up to me to be worried about copyright issues. That's not my role - my role is to research into a device that can copy VHS videos into a digital format - that's it. Nothing else. I don't have to write to BBC asking for permission to use their teaching videos. I just need to go back and say this is the device, it will do what you need. It costs this much. Blah blah blah.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information