Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tickmike

Members
  • Posts

    396
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tickmike

  1. Hi. W2K sever Beeswax said ....."I know it sounds like a good idea, but you could end up quite innocently storing other peoples' personal details on your machine at home, which wouldn't endear you to the data protection people." 1..How do you chaps get away with taking back up tapes home ?. And what if I give the Head a copy to take home on a CD rom say each week ?. 2..Has W2K sever got this 'shadow copy' on it ?. 3..On the server C drive is a SCSI HD ...I have a second HD also a SCSI drive, so if I set them to Mirror ( I believe there is a wizard for that ?) will that help me out ?. 4.. Do you always do a full back up ?. My workstations are ghosted and I have a copy of that as well.. Regards Michael
  2. Thank you Mr Russian man you save the day (and welcome to Russia ).
  3. Thank's for advice. . URGENT HELP WANTED. This copier/printer is a hired Panasonic DP1520P I've got no manuals with it and a quick look on the Panasonic web site could not see any. Has anybody used one or similar that could tell me how I get to the GUI (if it's got one) need the system set up details page . Any help please. From Michael.
  4. re.. Creating a custom firefox install and keeping it up to date is a seperate issue from controlling settings via GPOs. You need to look at something like the Firefox Corporate Project to solve that problem. http://www.sanduskycomputers....ds/fxcorp/ That looks a bit involved so I will look at that later. Is there a way I can add the plug -in's to get the system working for Wednesday when they come back. I need to do this today.!. From Michael .
  5. Hello All. edid...Win 2 K Server...edit end On this new domain I only have about 30 workstations and this about term 30 users ( small village school ). How / what / when do you 'Back Up. (comment about server and workstations ) On my server I have a 80Gb drive I can back up to. I do not have any tape drives . There is a CD burner on the server. I also have a radio link to my home, so could also send a file on to my workstation at home for safe keeping. Regards Michael.
  6. Hello All. Re... Firefox ADMs:- The ADMs you import into Active directory Users and computers... right click on User Policies > Administrative Templates > Add/Remove Templates - add them in The rest is covered in the readme files in the zip - logon scripts and startup scripts. I still cannot understand how to add plug-in's when your are in the pupil user's account ?, I have installed them on my administrators account on firefox but they do not go through to the user. Before I had this domain I would just go to my download folder through 'my network places' and install the plug-in's, But because of my GP polices I cannot do that or download them from the internet ?. Also how do you do the firefox updates ?. Help please.
  7. Hello All. W2K Adv. server on Hp Netserver LC2000 One of my next jobs on this new domain network is to give them some Printers. We have used one in each room before (with one of the workstations as the print server.) but we have a new photo copier/printer so I was going to use that. 1...Can you give some advice on setting this up from the sever (I think there is a 'wizard' for it ?. ). 2... If they did want to use one in each room would that be more difficult ?. From Michael.
  8. Hello. I think I'm getting the idea now, I will be going over to school tonight so I was going to try and produce a 'Mandatory profile' Thanks.
  9. Hi. RE. C.. Re.. The WIKI setting up mandatory profile page. See Mandatory Profile Manager Account... 1..Create a user account in Active Directory called MPM (Mandatory Profile Manager) with no entry for Profile Path. When I do the above do I leave the password blank or not ?
  10. Hello meastaugh1 How ? Like on a folder ? I'm new at this . :?
  11. Hi Mark. Thanks for reply. A... ok B... ok C... your answer I do not understand = 'C. Run all the apps is all.' D...any comments about ?. Re... Do you have Firefox ADM on the server to set policies? : sourceforge.net/projects/firefoxadm Well I have downloaded this script but no idea how and what to do with it ? !. There are three parts in the download.?. Regards Michael.
  12. Hi Each. Help... Please.. Thanks for advice. I'm still struggling and my system may not be up and running for this Wednesday when the little darlings come back !. Anyone live near South Derbyshire ?. A..My pupil profile, the GP policy looks ok and going out to the workstations, But Things like Firefox are not being configured .eg if I click on the firefox short-cut on the desktop, all the settings for proxy settings, and how it looks etc. are not there. Also some of the programs on the workstations are showing on the user account.!?.that I do not want them to use . B..If I go through setting up a Mandatory Profile again do I need to delete only parts of my profile above. C.. Re.. The WIKI setting up mandatory profile page. See Mandatory Profile Manager Account... 1..Create a user account in Active Directory called MPM (Mandatory Profile Manager) with no entry for Profile Path. When I do the above do I leave the password blank or not ? D.. Creating Mandatory Profiles. 1..Check that the MPM user account has no entry in Profile Path. 2..Select a PC where MPM has no local profile.. 3..Log on to the PC and make any initial settings required. On 3 above do I log on with mpm account with /with out password. then I have to configure just about every thing on the computer . eg setting up firefox as in Question A above with all its plug-in's and settings (because I will be on a user account how can I do that ?.) I think I will need more than a pint of beer if I every get this going.!. From Michael.
  13. Hi Sidwinder. Thanks for the reply. Workstations are W2K pro. Re.. 1 Active desktop, that may be the answer ?. On the AD GP settings there is a setting ? to turn it on ?. 2.. You can refresh AD Group policy to refresh the settings to the workstation some how.? 5... Is that on the 'Ultra VNC' settings on each workstation ?. 8.. Added an extra question. From Michael.
  14. Hello All. On the DC. I'm setting up for the first time (HP netserver LC2000 with W2K adv. Server). W2K pro. Workstations. I'm getting there but not there yet !. 1... I was thinking on giving the pupils the school 'Logo' on there desktops through there default profile from AD.. OU.. but on trying using one of the windows standard desktop photo's as a test it did not go on to the workstation when I logged onto the test-user account. 2... How do I force an update of AD to go out for my test when I have made changes ?. Edit.. group policy settings .....Edit End 3... What tools do you use to for AD, (I have put the windows server tool kit on this server). 4... Do I have to make the changes for AD at the server or can you do it from a workstation ?. 5... On the pupils profile 'start' menu I have taken off the items I do not want but I can still see the remote desktop viewer 'Ultra VNC' How do I make it so they cannot get access to it on the workstations ?. 6... On AD Staff OU .. I want to let the staff install software on to the workstations. (when these were Stand alone Workstations I just had a logon account with 'Power user' that they used) How do I do it now?. 7... What tests do you do to test a pupils accounts ?. Edit... 8...Another problem is with Firefox browser I want to use on the workstations , On the default ghost image I set all the settings up but now on a pupil account it needs all the settings doing again . What do I do. ...Edit end. Regards Michael.
  15. Hi , I got 'newsid' working ok. Thanks. I have down-loaded 'sysprep' but I was so far into ghosting I did not use it this time. I will practice on my test set up at home with it and RIS . for the next time. How often do you do a new image on to a computer.?. Any body know why my 'Ghostwalker' ( see above ) did not work.?. From Michael.
  16. Hello All. I have 4 computers (W2K pro. Compaq Deskpro 350/6.4 ) that the mouse is a pain to use, now I have just re-imaged all the computers (30) these four are still the same, you move the mouse and it takes for ever to move on the screen . All these computers have had new 'flash' Bios but still same problem. I have changed the mouse, but just the same. From Michael.
  17. Hello All. I been 'Ghosting' and after some 'bios' problems (BSOD= ACPI problems) so I put a post on the HP forum and downloaded the bios flash and that got the computers working, the I took them off the domain and changed the computer name , each computer seemed to install video drivers and then reboot. But when I came to use Ghostwalker to change the 'SID' it did not work... just blank. I tried booting from a ghost boot disk and typing ' ghstwalk.exe' = did not work. then reboot and go into safe mode command prompt typed ' ghstwalk.exe' = did not work. rebooted into windows, then C:\ and typed ' ghstwalk.exe' = did not work. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG ?. I have downloaded ' newsid' from sysinternals but do not know how to use it. From Michael.
  18. Hi Simon, All the 30 computers are the same spec Compaq deskpro EN series, all hardware is the same except 4 computers have CD burners on them as well as the normal CD readers. Software wanted on each to get up and running= W2k pro. MS Office. AVG AV. Zonealarm. Spywareblaster. Put other on later. Edit... Just had a look at one of the computers at school Via My Radio link. and the bios date is 22/8/99 . I've never upgraded any bios before is it something I need to do ?. ...Edit Michael.
  19. Hi, Urgent help needed please. . What do I do ?. Its W2k and I thought they were all the same types of computer's , We had problems in the past with them not finding the hard drive when they boot up and getting a BSOD saying there was no 'hard dives installed' ,and some of them decided not to turn the computer off after if shut down the software eg. the W2K OS you have to press the power button to turn off. Do I have to abandon trying to use Ghost or do I have to go back to a complete OS install the long way ?. Michael. PS. I Have not used 'Sysprep' before.
  20. Hi . just an update . Well I used Partition Magic and it is magic , made an extra partition like 'SimpleSi' explained above. About first five Ghost images were corrupt, did 'scan disk' then 'defrag' then I got a good ghost image. Tried peer to peer to workstation image copied ok come to reboot get BSOD with error oxooooooA5 and that is 'ACPI Bios' wants updating.. Done a 'google' for it and it seems a known problem . So all these workstations are the same spec so how the xxxx can it do this. Does the file get corrupted when you ghost it. So I was going to try 'SimpleSi' method next, I ghost image to E Drive , Shared it, copied to another workstation on to E drive . but it was 10.30pm and I had enough. try tomorrow. Question 1..about SimpleSi method above ... I have the copy of C drive on E drive so how do I get it to boot from E drive ... how do I change the drive letters over.?. 2..Do I have to update all the bios to get rid of this error.?. From Michael.
  21. Hello . 2,000,000 Hits that's just great. Of cause you do know half of them are mine, to get help I need to set this domain up for the first time . I have said it before and will say it again Thanks For Being Here, Thanks Dos_Box and all involved for setting the site up and running it. Regards Michael.
  22. Hi All. As I put in the post above its only 'Ghost 8 Basic' (home) not corporate (For this charity we have to manage with what we have donated ). The workstations all have 6.4G hard drives there may just be enough room to try 'Simplesi' method. They all have W2K pro . on them, I have 'Norton partition magic But if I use this it wipes the volume ? to make the partition ? I think. But I understand what you say. I'm going over to school tonight so I will have a go .Thanks. Has one or two of you Know I'm setting up the DC for the first time so will look into RIS Etc. later just trying to get the basic domain set up before the holidays end. Michael.
  23. Hi . This sounds like some think I could use.? I been thinking of a simple way the three staff in the school could send a simple message to my screen at home via a wifi network link I'm setting up to run the network etc. from home. Once I get this new domain set up and running ok, I will try one of the above . I thinking if it could be set up so the staff can only use it from there profile, but if they log off would it disappear from my screen .? Michael.
  24. Hi Ben Your idea sounds an easy way but for me this time it will not be practical to do, workstation are in stacks of four and will not be easy to do in the time. So going to try image from the workstation I have re-installed to another workstation one at a time. Michael.
  25. Hi. Ghost 8 (basic). Tried 'Back up ' image first 'C' drive wanted to save it to drive on server. But would not let me send to sever, said must use peer to peer via network. So went on to 'advanced' settings >p2p set up what Ip address to use =DHCP > copy > Failed.!!?? Forgot that DHCP server was on the server ,so when it rebooted to do the copying it stopped the DHCP service. oop's. Set up fixed IP's >copy it then reboots both the computer that you are copying from (a workstation )and the one you copy to (my server) do not like that !. This basic ghost does not let you put it onto more than one CD, you can 'clone' a disk to disk eg. a second hard drive in the same computer, I could use that method but I would have to get at the insides of all the 30 computers in the school to re-image them (big job) !. and I do not have a USB hard drive which you can use. Because the holidays nearly over the way I will try next is to ghost it striate from the work station to another workstation . I did tell the head she may not have any computers to use when she gets back after this big upgrade I'm doing by myself and a extra hazard I'm having to put up with is most of the school is being transformed to an Art Show, which will raise maybe about £5000 to £6000 to the running of the school. From Michael. Ps. found out that windows back up is no good at re-image.
×
×
  • Create New...