-
Posts
419 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by soapyfish
-
Hi Everyone, We have received a few emails recently, where the return address that is normally in the email header has been changed to appear to have come from an internal email address. Is there anyway of being able to trace this back to the true originating email address we use Office 365 for our email system. I have been able to locate the senders IP address which resolves to 45-161-238-34.giganet.net.py which looks to be an ISP based in Latin America according to some whois tools. Or is someone able to confirm that its untraceable it would save me some time ! Thanks
-
I find that server replacements are mostly governed by the support for the hardware by the manufacturer and the OS that is running on them. CPU's are almost never the bottle neck. Disks, networking and RAM are where its worth upgrading normally. SQL servers need CPU, RAM and Fast Storage and you should be monitoring this carefully as this will allow you to spec the hardware according to need but be aware that MS SQL is licensed per core/socket, (I cant remember which) so that cost of adding lots of CPU can get expensive due to the extra licensing. We run ESXi and I have had issues where the combination of Storage and Hosts has not been 100% compatible with the version of ESXi on the hosts which caused no end of problems.
-
Seeking Urgent Help with Network Issues in My Tree Topology!
soapyfish replied to ultimatepie's topic in Wired Networks
Have you used Wireshark to do some packet capture and see whats actually happening? -
It was a nice car, it ended up bursting into flames on a back road and melted into the ground, :-(
-
That is a Marcos Mantis, they did race them in the late 90's, there was also a bigger + badder Marcos LM based off the Mantara model.
-
They only made 80 almost all of them were kits, and were supposed to be a cheaper version of the also beautiful Marcos Mantula.
-
-
BETT 2023 GIVEAWAY - What is your earliest gaming memory?
soapyfish replied to VeryPC's topic in Our Advertisers
Lander on an Acorn Archimedes. -
ok so basically unless we have technically "supported hardware" any update could be a problem....
-
So really if Windows 11 it installs and works, its ok until there is an update from say from 23H2 to 24H2 (or what ever they call them) for example. at which point the unsupported hardware may just stop working or fail to install the update.
-
ITs been installed with an ISO downloaded from MS VLSC page last week.
-
- - - Updated - - - In device manager, the device is installed and working and is dispalyed as "Trusted Module Platform 1.2"
-
Hi Everyone, We are in process of planning to replace some of our hardware to ensure compatibility with wndows 11, From reading it looks like the several key components are DX12 GPU and TPM 2.0. and secure boot. Offcially supported CPU's look to be the 8th Gen Core series or higher. Currently none of our hardware is this new and so does not meet the minimum spec. We have 3rd gen i5 and 6th gen i5 desktops and laptops. Some of the desktops and laptops with TPM chips and some without. All the machines without a TPM chip flat out will not install Windows 11 which makes sense however machines with TPM 1.2 which does not seem to meet the minimum spec will install windows 11 from the latest ISO? Additionally Some of the machines with TPM 1.2 can be flashed with newer firmware to make them TPM 2.0 this applies to 6th Gen Desktops and Laptops although sadly not the 3rd gen machines. I am not sure why I am able to install windows 11 on Machines with TPM 1.2 when TPM 2.0 seems to be the minimum spec. does anyone have any insight or idea on what might be happening? Following the spec here(PDF DOWNLOAD) https://download.microsoft.com/download/7/8/8/788bf5ab-0751-4928-a22c-dffdc23c27f2/Minimum%20Hardware%20Requirements%20for%20Windows%2011.pdf and the CPU spec here https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-22h2-supported-intel-processors
-
We use EntrySign seems to work well, we work with osboune technologies directly
-
They only need access to internet based services so it sounds like client isolation is the way forward.
-
Do you know how robust this is, I know our setup does allow this. https://docs.ruckuswireless.com/unleashed/200.1.9.12/t-ConfigClientIsolationWhitelist.html It looks like it will be a good start
-
To the collective hive mind....opinions and advice please Our network is broken into several VLANs one of which is the core network and another is the BYOD network where student's devices and staff phones reside. as a result we have mix of windows, apple and android devices. All students and staff are encouraged to have firewalls and anti virus etc on their devices before connecting them to the BYOD network. However I am thinking about malware and virus's that may be present on the BYOD VLAN and potentially what can be done to reduce the risk to one use from another on that VLAN. What measures do others take to dealing with this situation?
-
Hi Guys Its time to replace the office workstations for the whole IT team, We are a small very busy team comprising of 1 generalist who works in all area's including video production and virtualisation. 1 focused on audio and video workloads up to 4k quality 1 focused on virtualisation based workloads running 4-5 VM's concurrently on average. Our existing workstations are 10 years old and the school in prepared to spend up to £2000 ext VAT per machine to meet the needs of each user for at least 8 years. We are very lucky to be in a trust that understands the value in providing staff with the best tools they can. We currently have 3rd gen 4 Core low end xeons in HP Z620's With the arrival of windows 11 and the TPM requirements (unless this has changed) and all the new tech arriving soon 13th gen intel CPU's as well as PCie5 and DDR 5, NVMe...etc I need some advice on getting the best bang for the buck as it were. It seems to be a terrible time to buy with the removal of standard threadripper CPUs from the market. HP not offering anything newer that 10gen intel based Z Workstations. I know I am focusing on cutting edge tech but these machines will be unchanged for the next 10 or so years so reliability and support are important hence the choice of the Z620 last time. I would be interested in hearing what others who have a similar work load have recently been purchasing and if expecting machines to last this long is now totally unrealistic.
-
Bett 2022 - enter our biggest competition EVER!
soapyfish replied to VeryPC's topic in Our Advertisers
I would give it to my Son to use hopefully it will take him though secondary school and college! -
why 8th and not newer ?
-
Zabbix Template for Smoothwall UTM
soapyfish replied to robyholmes's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I will check tomorrow, But I am pretty sure that i use a Linux SNMP template. PM me and I will check tomorrow -
Unfortunately the the budget is available only this year due to saving I have manged to make on other projects. You are right about Windows 11 compatibility and I should check that the system has a suitable TPM Chip does windows 11 need anything else I have not checked since it was initially released?
-
Hi Everyone, I am in a fortunate position to be able to replace the IT department's computers, I need one workstation for a user who does lots of virtualization 4 - 6 concurrent guests OS's. One for a media creation specialist who is moving to 4k for the final output after purchasing new Camera equipment etc. Historically the school has purchased fairly high end workstation for IT Staff which are then used 7+ years before being refreshed although the current desktops workstations were new in 2012. Obviously ATM prices are all over the place and I am torn between new hardware and refurbished kit from ICT Direct. Refurb price is around £1050 for this spec Intel Xeon Gold 6138 - 20-Core 40-Threads 2.00GHz (3.70GHz Boost, 27.5MB Cache, 135W TDP) 64GB DDR4 2666MHz Nvidia Quadro P400 - 2GB GDDR5 1TB NVMe I am struggling to locate a Ryzen 7/9 or Intel i7/i9 pre-built with anything like this level of performance for even close to the price. Have I missed something, Does anyone have any experience of the Xeon Gold CPU's being used in anything other than a server?
-
School Central Record, "SCR" Security
soapyfish replied to soapyfish's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
Thanks everyone, i thought it was enough to be honest but its always worth checking! -
Hi Everyone, Our schools SCR is kept in a network share that is only available to the appropriate staff. The NTFS permissions are deny all unless you are a specific user. The file is password protected and backed up via a standard 321 methodology. I have been asked if this is sufficient security, and as a result I am keen to know what others are doing?
