Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

_Bat_

Members
  • Posts

    1,352
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by _Bat_

  1. I have been wondering this myself. Lol.
  2. I'd be happy with that. Mine is: james AT thesumnerfamily DOT net
  3. Lol I am in trouble then. Last time I checked the site on a validator, there was something like 40 problems *goes off to check again*
  4. I do 36 hours a week during term time. During the holidays it varies slighty and I have a weird verbal contract. They basically said you are only paid for term time but you need to do whatever work needs doing over the holidays and they'll pay me overtime. This pretty much means i'm working about five or six hours a day mon - fri during the holidays with the occasional day off if I feel like it and time allows. I get paid on the lower end of scale three.
  5. Now we are on the subject... why? I tested my website in three browsers... Internet Explorer 7, Internet Explorer 6 and Firefox. I also tested it in Linux and Windows. It now works fine in all of them. I cannot think that 99% of my target audience will use anything else other then these. I believe it is almost fully compatible for those with disabilities, but this has yet to be fully tested. I will test it though and any problems I find will be fixed. I cannot see the point in going any further with the standards issue though because I cannot see it making any difference?
  6. That worked . Thank you ever so much, I'll let you get on with your own job now, haha.
  7. Okay I think I did what you said, I now get the following PHP error: Line two is: Any ideas?
  8. Okay I understand that now. Just one more question and I know its really simple but I was never any good with PHP. There is also an onload function in the body tag, so on the pages that use the image rollovers, the body tag would have to be modified. I thought the easiest way of doing this is to do an ELSE statement at the end of your code, i.e. IF file exists, include it, ELSE insert " ". That way, I could include the modified body tag in the $id.php for the pages that need it. I would do this myself, but as I say, I was never any good with PHP, i'm trying to learn it though. Is it possible you could show me how? Thanks for all your help, both of you. James
  9. I'm a little bit lost :?
  10. I'll just clarify what I am trying to do. I am doing image rollovers on these 16/17 pages, all with different images. This means different code in the head for each page, mainly for the preload of the images. I don't think there is any way of avoiding putting the code into the head.
  11. I considered doing this, but I have about 16 or 17 pages that each need a seperate piece of code in the head. Would this still be considered to not be putting much extra strain on the server? Thats rather a lot of code when multipled by 17
  12. I've come across a problem over the past couple of days because of several scripts I want to use. These scripts unfortunately involve placing code in the head section of the page, yet they are only required on one page each. Joomla it appears only allows you to edit the head for every single webpage on the site. This is very limiting so I am sure there must be a way to add code to the head of just one page only? Does anyone know of a way of doing this, or a work around? Thanks James
  13. Hahahha, that reminds me. I was with my network manager a few months back in this office and we were taking a couple of broken computers apart and swapping components around trying to get one working computer and the headteacher walks in, took a look at the pile of components on the bench and the dismantled computers on the floor, stared at us and said "Are you doing this for work or are you doing this for fun?"
  14. You work in the ICT Suite? I'm not sure I could do that, I find if I am working in the same room as the kids they distract me to no end. Whenever I accidently wonder into the ICT Suite while there is a class in there, it's about half an hour before I get to leave again due to "problems" with the programs that they happen to be using/typos in web addresses etc. It's a catch 22 situation really isn't it? Lol. If you ignored the smell of gas, people would have complained if the school blew up and killed everyone inside. They would also complain about safety regulations if you just ignored it even if the school didn't blow up. As it is, you spoke up and potentially might have saved the lifes of all those children and all people can do is complain?
  15. I haven't been in ICT long enough to say that I do. Give it a couple more years and ask me again
  16. Good idea, as long as I don't have to sleep in the server room, I'm surprised I manage to cope with this noise all day let alone trying to sleep through it lol.
  17. Lol. Quite a large one, we have three floors, which is why I went wireless.
  18. I forgot to mention, it needs to come network ready as it'll be quite a distance from our server and I hate external wireless print servers due to previous experience. I think that rules out all the above printers if I looked correctly. Sorry. I have been looking at the "SAMSUNG ML-2571N MONO LASER" which seems to be alright. It's one of the cheapest I could find that is network ready.
  19. Or... how lucky am I because I am the one who uses it most in both schools lol. It's not uncommon that i'd be the only one surfing the web during at least a part of the day. The ICT Suites are often empty and the only other computers are a teachers laptop in each classroom and one PC in each classroom. In total I have about 115 laptops/pcs between the two schools. That is 20mb between 115 pcs/laptops. How lucky are these schools and myself lol.
  20. Wow. Both my primary schools have a 10mb fibre optic line installed. Thats 10MB for about 300-400 pupils and about 30 staff at a guess. My old secondary school used to be on a dual ISDN (128kb in total) though for about 700-800 pupils and 60-70 staff. During the lunch hour when everyone was surfing the web, the internet just didn't work. Not even a slow response... there was just no response at all.
  21. Whats a floppy drive? Do computers really still come with these? You should be saying "and toast in the DVD RAM drive"
  22. Anyone got any recommendations? I am looking to get a B&W laser printer for home because I am sick of the cost of cartridges and regularity of them running out for my current epson inkjet printer. I know this question has been asked before, but times are changing quickly and I thought i'd get the most up to date answers lol. Thanks
  23. Can't take any risks, especially with children . As for my afternoon, I have been sitting in my cupboard (otherwise known as the server room) designing some posters. I'm very lucky to have a cupboard actually, most primary schools don't have one (admittedly I have yet to see a school that they have had to resort to shoving the servers in the corridor).
  24. Link blocked here too by Birmingham Grid for Learning.
  25. I think you misunderstand, I'm not actually making a cartoon face generator, I was looking for one. I no longer need one though because of the ones SYSMAN_MK found on your website (it is yours I assume?). The sites I am creating are primary (elementary) school websites and I will indeed inform you of what I have done with the images once the sites are properly up and running.
×
×
  • Create New...