-
Posts
6,216 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Ditto
-
Power BI Licensing for Viewer Only Roles
Ditto replied to smarties11's topic in How do you do....it?
With as much accuracy as I can muster. 1. Open Desktop Power BI 2. Build report - PBIX file is stored in a subfolder of my OneDrive 3. In Desktop Power BI, I press the Publish button. 4. A dialogue pops up asking me to select a destination - it only offers 'My workspace' - at this point it is not clear where 'My workspace' resides 5. I select 'My Workspace'. 6. A dialogue pops up saying 'Publishing to Power BI - Success!' It has a link that says 'Open ''.pbix in Power BI 7. I click the link. 8. The link opens in a browser window with a URL in the format of app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/experience=powerbi 9. I send the link to a colleague and it opens fine and they can interact with the report. I was expecting at step 9 it advises an upgrade to Pro is required, but it doesn't - it just appears to work. *** Update - this is even more baffling *** When my colleague hit the link, it said you need to request permission to view the report. The request popped up via messaging. When I clicked approve, it went to Power BI web interface and wouldn't approve without an upgrade. I then click 'Approve' in the email and it said 'Success - access approved'. But with my colleague reclicking the link, it then requires upgrade. So I'm confused why it worked ealier and not now - if indeed I did exactly these steps. I'm checking now. To be honest, this might help as it cements my case the company needs to pay for Pro licensing! -
Boston Dynamics - Atlas, The Next Generation
Ditto replied to Arthur's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
Beat me to it! There is absolute beauty in the video, simply stunning progress since the opening post of this thread. Also, there are some classic comedy falls which make it so much more 'human'. -
Power BI Licensing for Viewer Only Roles
Ditto replied to smarties11's topic in How do you do....it?
Sort of makes sense and I can confirm as soon as I login on app.powerbi.com, and try to create a Workspace it does indeed show: I don't think there should be a particular issue us getting a license upgrade, apart from slowness, as the not for profit rate is low. But the question I will get from the line manager is "As you published a report to 'My Workspace', and when you shared the URL after opening the report, it worked." If I click the three dots and click share, I get message to upgrade. Now I do believe having everything in My Workspace in the long run isn't a good idea, is they way we have been able to share a report with colleagues a bug? -
Power BI Licensing for Viewer Only Roles
Ditto replied to smarties11's topic in How do you do....it?
Which in itself is odd as it is the desktop version I have and use for building reports. As for the publication and Onedrive sharing, I see they are different but I remain befuddled as to what I am meant to advise my colleagues on as a sensible implementation of me building reports for consumption by colleagues. Surely it shouldn't be so complex! -
Power BI Licensing for Viewer Only Roles
Ditto replied to smarties11's topic in How do you do....it?
I'm still puzzled. As replied in the 2nd post of the thread, I have created a report and shared it with colleagues. I got a link afer publishing (to my OneDrive) and passed them on. This was all done using Power BI desktop. So, trying to follow MS advice of using a Workspace, I try find in the Power BI desktop where to 'Create Workspace'. There isn't one! -
What's the oldest bit of kit you still have running?
Ditto replied to PrimaryTech's topic in General Chat
Just on the thread title, I just realised it's me! -
I think ISPs historically regarded them as bundled. I'm sure many offer truly BB only without landline nowadays, but not such savings. Have you checked what deals you can get lately?
-
I'm guessing forgot send button. But exactly this. With the switch off, I'd imagine a lot more people will start to realise this old style charging for phones and calls isn't justified and just a way to keep overall broadband prices higher. The other point, is with FTTP, I can see their is a bit more to it to keep your landline, but already BT and Sky have done it for me. How are they doing that, do they need a static IP address?Just like the router, other software, we all should be allowed to use third party alternatives and keep the market competitive.
-
Thanks. I did see this name come up in other forums. It appears if you were an early adopter, it was/is a great deal. Now at £12.95 per user per month, minimum 2 users, that's more expensive than an 'anytime' deal. Sipgate starter seemed to launch in 2022 but is closed to new customers now. What's showing on the website is marketed as a business offer - so perhaps not aiming for me and an increasing numbers of 'me's' that will be wanting this solution. The other name I see crop up is Andrews and Arnold - anyone thought on their offerings?
-
Given I'm FTTP, am I not using VOIP effectively already? To block me using a third party feels anti-competitive. On checking T&C's, the only mention of VOIP is: "Delays and jitters in the transmission of data or packet loss can result in your broadband running slowly, web pages not loading or you having problems with services like VOIP and VPNs", so I don't see a contractual breach. That's in the section that is about 'You might not get the performance we market' - not relevant in my case with FTTP.
-
An update on the AOC - 24G4X Full HD 24" IPS LCD Gaming now that my sons has used for a while. Very positive feedback. Bright clear picture, not noticeable lag, seems to be at least as good as similar earlier models. We like the sturdy and highly moveable stand too. The £149 figure I paid was Curry's who I have for years boycotted due to previous in store nightmares, but online they seem great - delivered within 48 hours and no extra charge - DPD I recall, who I rate above most other delivery firms. All in all, I'd give it a thumbs up.
-
Moving back to Sky (puck stream version) has been a nightmare, mainly due to there destruction of viewability of TV programs due to ads handling. I've now just discovered my phone bill has rocketed. To be fair, it switched from BT anytime to evenings and weekends, but just a few calls and the bills has rocketed. As it's all over fibre on a Gigabit service, there must be a better way without the expense. What I would really appreciate advice on is the best way to implement a domestic VOIP solution that will allow me to retain my landline number. I want to break the insane dependency on the likes of BT and Sky who are billing for a phone service that's modelled on copper connections, when in fact there's plenty of bandwidth to run it on the fibre installation.
-
Things that could have been improved before being approved...
Ditto replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
-
The Wildlife (and Gardening for Wildlife) thread
Ditto replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
Certainly not a UK topic, but I learnt a little about Cicadas via this article https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/trillions-of-cicadas-to-swarm-u-s-first-double-brood-emergence-in-200-years/1638706 A billion plus cicada swarm that is a 1 in 200 year event - it's going to be noisy! -
When, as Data Manager, I was involved in admissions, I worked with Google Sheets and an admissions officer. I think there was some GScript, but not a lot. I do have a programming background so I understand that's not suitable for all. I know I had implemented the admissions criteria with mostly sorts on appropriate attributes. Not sophisticated, but did most of what we needed without too much manual intervention. I recall I looked for a strong admissions app, but didn't find one. What would the list of functional requirements be for fully fledged admissions application?
-
Even on this forum, the English in that message gives it away!
-
I ended up getting an AOC - 24G4X Full HD 24" IPS LCD Gaming for £149 I believe it's fairly recently released. The present was a picture only for now as we're away, but I'll try to get a review update in due course.
-
Anyone got views/recommendations on a 24" gaming monitor. My sons Xmas PC now needs a replacement monitor and we have narrowed down to 24 inch screen. It's being paired to a 4060 with decent spec PC. The PC came from ebuyer and I may well use them again for the monitor. There seems a decent choice in the £150 - £200 range.
-
The Wildlife (and Gardening for Wildlife) thread
Ditto replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
So pleased they got a Basil Brush look-a-like, rather than Basil Fawlty. -
Have OFCOM allowed BT to get away with a non-standard Digital Voice technology
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Note to perhaps conclude: I have managed to get the phones to de-register from the BT hub. You can also reset them. No internet connection is required. Just turn om SmartHub 2 and wait until the pink colour ring. I presume this is effectively in DECT base mode. Then turn it all off and register on you good old DECT base stations. The BT phones register. Functionality is with most options saying "Not supported" - you can't even go into the item called 'DECT setting'. You can't change the phone name. It won't even display the time beyond --/--. The self-proclaimed experts on BT's forums regard this as expected and meeting the DECT (WAP) standard. Even shorter summary from me - That's still PANTS!!! -
What platform was that on - I liked the look of that and fancied viewing in spite of your disappointment.
-
Have OFCOM allowed BT to get away with a non-standard Digital Voice technology
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Probably is. I guess all us WhatsApp users rely on our mobiles as a unique id, but email accounts would work equally well as an alternative. But I do think a device that works like current phones would still be wanted. One in the main bedroom (always a worry when it rings but as a parent of teenage kids and elderly parents, needed), maybe one in the kitchen, one in the lounge for leisurely long calls, and one on the home-office for work/domestic admin. -
Not yet last movies I've watched, but given the Razzie awards (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68510904), are Winnie the Pooh: Blood and Honey and Expend4bles ones anyone has watched or are now going to?
-
Have OFCOM allowed BT to get away with a non-standard Digital Voice technology
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
I won't call you names and personally, I'm driven by function and quality of service. However, this is the reply I get from Mrs Ditto. i) doesn't want to be regarded as permanently contactable on mobile - i.e. her mother uses the landline by default ii) mobile network is patchy, but I guess that can be overcome by using wifi connection at home - but she hasn't done that in spite of repeated suggestion to do so iii) there is a desire to keep the landline number - all necessary contacts have that but not mobile iv) landline is mains connected so doesn't need recharging (although of course being a wireless home phone, it does have batteries). v) the handset for those long calls is more comfortable sitting on the sofa, sounds if better, clearer and louder. Frankly and personally, I'd be happy with a SIP based solution. I could even live with losing the landline number, but if we can keep it all the better. In truth this should all be straight-forward and easy to do if cross-industry standard was in place. The whole idea of a landline phone contract with a monthly cost for x minutes per month is all a bit daft when I'm on a Gigabit line! -
Have OFCOM allowed BT to get away with a non-standard Digital Voice technology
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
The article is a couple of years old, https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2022/03/study-claims-uk-consumers-want-universal-broadband-routers.html. It suggests 87% of respondents (UK) use their ISP's router. But it is really interesting to also see "76% of respondents want a “universal router” (i.e. one that can be used by any ISP) to help cut e-waste". This BT phone saga is only likely to add to the e-waste. After more digging, I am now 90%+ confident the BT phones do in fact use DECT technology. The Smart Hub 2 in fact is both a router/modem and DECT hub. What has completely thrown me is the requirement to use the WPS button to pair up the phones. Apparently BT have doubled up the button for both Wifi pairing and DECT pairing. It saves money I guess! Now as to whether I can connect the phones to my old DECT hub - well, I haven't found a way yet.
