JRA
Members-
Posts
952 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by JRA
-
Thanks both - No Oaktech you're right on the money, but I'd rather not leave it on of course. Thanks also danbuntu, I actually do use that currently but we ALSO had backuppc. I do back up to, like, the point of mania and was just hoping to stuff a switch in a .conf file and have it all magically spring to life again. Oh well. Cheers again folks.
-
Hello everyone - well, disabling SMBv1 has knocked all my Windows servers out of Backuppc. Most are virtualised, and the LUNs themselves back up, but I'd definitely like 'data' backups too from within Windows itself. Backuppc is out, anything that needs cygwin (with the need for an account password in plain text) is out too. Whatever it is I want it to run on a Linux box. Anyone have any great suggestions to throw me? Thanks all.
-
Hello all - title says it all really. Following the horrible wannacrypt business I've turned off SMBv1 on my Windows servers, but now backuppc can't back them up. Adding $smbClientPath \\$host\$shareName $I_option -m SMB2 -U $userName -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc$X_option - $fileList to Xfer options doesn't do it (note the -m SMB2 bit in there) and adding min protocol = SMB2 into smb.conf (perhaps somewhat optimistically) doesn't do the job either. Backuppc error logs for the server/s show the following: Executing DumpPreUserCmd: /backups/bin/backup-preexec-control printserver smb Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\printserver\\papercut\$ -m SMB2 -U MYDOMAIN\\Administrator -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc - full backup started for share papercut$ Xfer PIDs are now 14181,14180 WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated [ skipped 1 lines ] tar:316 tarmode is now full, system, hidden, noreset, quiet [ skipped 14941 lines ] tar:712 Total bytes received: 6151845594 [ skipped 8 lines ] tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 11864 filesExist, 5538380794 sizeExist, 3143040589 sizeExistComp, 12028 filesTotal, 6151845594 sizeTotal Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share papercut$) Backup aborted (No files dumped for share papercut$) Saving this as a partial backup, replacing the prior one (got 12028 and 0 files versus 0) Executing DumpPreUserCmd: /backups/bin/backup-preexec-control printserver smb Running: /usr/bin/smbclient \\\\printserver\\papercut\$ -m SMB2 -U MYDOMAIN\\Administrator -E -d 1 -c tarmode\ full -Tc - full backup started for share papercut$ Xfer PIDs are now 13153,13152 WARNING: The "syslog" option is deprecated [ skipped 1 lines ] tar:316 tarmode is now full, system, hidden, noreset, quiet [ skipped 14860 lines ] tar:712 Total bytes received: 6157528978 [ skipped 84 lines ] tarExtract: Done: 0 errors, 11988 filesExist, 5678826415 sizeExist, 3267225687 sizeExistComp, 12023 filesTotal, 6157528978 sizeTotal Got fatal error during xfer (No files dumped for share papercut$) Backup aborted (No files dumped for share papercut$) Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior one (got 12023 and 0 files versus 12028) I'm all out of ideas. Anyone know what to do to make Backuppc use SMB2? Thanks for any and all ideas!
-
Also worth mentioning this disabling SMBv1 business does over lots of old-ish Linux bits and bobs, but sticking "min protocol = SMB2" in the global section of smb.conf (back that up first then restart samba service) on anything half-recent sorts that.
-
Backuppc (for all the Linux folks) doesn't seem to work. Adding "-m SMB2" into the Xfer options for each host gets you a bit further, but still errors out. I'll try with rsync tomorrow, manual backups for now. Bleh. :/
-
Hello Linux gurus. Today's question is, in light of the recent 'orrible malware attacks, I've got a server of a certain age that's not serving anything to Windows clients with SMBv1 disabled. I'd like to add the following to my Samba server's smb.conf file, in [global] section: min protocol = SMB2 But I'm not sure if the version of Samba installed on this Linux server actually supports SMBv2. Is there any way to check? Thanks for any and all help.
-
Anyone actually used Microsoft's analyser linked a little way back? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7558 Thanks for any info on it if so!
-
Okay I've just done this and the key doesn;t exist. What's the quickest non-powershall way to turn it off? Servers are fully updated though.
-
Lovely, thanks for that. From that link (and another previously) then, I've got a batch file thus: Spits out a text file with a list of updates in it to that text file on the root of C: . According to the above link, ctrl+f that file for the following and if they appear, you're protected: Windows 7x64 - 4012212 and/or 4012215 Server 2008r2x64sp1 - 4012212 and/or 4012215 ... etc ... That sound right?
-
So, been trawling some links and gotten this, but it's a bit over my head: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ralphkyttle/2017/04/07/discover-smb1-in-your-environment-with-dscea/ Is there any easy way to determine if you're a) vulnerable and b) protected? Guh? :/
-
"Upgrade" Switching, Stack Commander Only - Silly Idea?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Wired Networks
Hmmm, gosh it's tempting! Do they play nice with 'regular' VLANs and trunking? Is the Unifi Controller software any good? Are there all sorts of bolt-on purchase gotchas with it, where nothing works right until I throw bags of cash at it? Warranties any good? I appreciate that's a lot of questions! -
"Upgrade" Switching, Stack Commander Only - Silly Idea?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Wired Networks
Probably looking at £1k/switch, so around £6k? Thinking HP 2530-48G currently. -
"Upgrade" Switching, Stack Commander Only - Silly Idea?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Wired Networks
Is it sensible (or not, or of minimal benefit) though to just buy in an up-rated stack commander switch? Let me know if I'm about to throw money away! Thanks all! -
"Upgrade" Switching, Stack Commander Only - Silly Idea?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in Wired Networks
Thanks! Hmmm, not looked into that. Might give it a read up. Not sure if I've got the budget to pull the LOT out, but I'll have a look at how well they'll all 'play' together with VLAN and trunks and the like. Ideally I would stick with HP though. -
Hi all - well, got no money and my switching (all HP) here is dying (running rather busy, edge switches all 10/100.) We've a half-decent core switch (in an HP 5412ZL iirc) and three cabs around the school, about 6-10 switches in each. Fiber to each cab. With this no money I've got, I *MIGHT* be able to blag a few gigabit switches to replace the stack commanders only, or rather the switches what sit at the end of the fiber and feed the other switches. Worth doing or not really? Any other (cheap) ideas? Thanks any and everyone!
-
[sims] Can You Use dbattach to Automate Database Backups on Another SQL Server?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in MIS Systems
(If anyone else in the future finds this and is as clueless as I was for most of today, have a gander: https://www.outcoldman.com/en/archive/2010/08/14/schedule-a-daily-backup-with-sql-server-express/ ) -
[sims] Can You Use dbattach to Automate Database Backups on Another SQL Server?
JRA replied to JRA's topic in MIS Systems
Thanks Vikpaw! Okay, shan't do that then. Trudging through the SQL walkthroughs for a batch file instead. -
Hello all - as per title, for "quick and dirty" backups of some SQL databases on another server, is it possible (or advisable, or even not) to copy dbattach.exe to another (non-SIMS) SQL server, and call it in a scheduled batch file to back up the databases on that? Thanks in advance for any opinions, horror stories or otherwise.
-
MySQL in schools - How do you make this happen?
JRA replied to RJohnson91's topic in How do you do....it?
Sorry, been a couple of days. You up and running now? If not, post the exact command you're running? We only had a few kids, so I delegated that one and we made the accounts up manually in phpmyadmin, though the script I tried out above did work ok.
