Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

mthomas08

Members
  • Posts

    3,240
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by mthomas08

  1. Been looking at this - testing. Seems a bit slow to me, installed a few bits - took longer than I was expecting. Still a bit unsure on Windows 8.1, currently our system is 99% Windows 7 with a Vista sitting down ADMIN. I think I would prefer to upgrade our system to 8.1 before I get devices with it on, we attempted Android Tablets and although initially a success, even though we pre-empt a lot it still caused issues with some Staff.
  2. Yep. Next - illegal to smoke while pregnant.
  3. This Then again I wish I had the money to even consider buying an iMac.
  4. Mind if I ask why you think its high? Got previous experience? I need proof to show that we are high due to our Head not believing we have high claims. I keep asking around for the same information but getting very little back.
  5. Morning We currently do a Scheme (as many here know). Having had issues with Insurance companies very touchy over our high claims, I would like to know: How many claims are you getting on the number of devices you have? Out of our 250 Year 7s we have had 40+ claims in the period of September 2014 to January 2015. If you are not able to broadcast your amount, can you PM me? We have been told by Insurance companies that this is high, we already had one big insurance company reject us (twice) and a few others over the last 18 months. I just need to know what the figures are for other Schools. p.s Please don't turn this in to an anti/pro scheme argument
  6. Yep - We all see it, I've seen it, have had Staff "Can we blame IT" questions given to me.... Sad state of affairs but IT faults are easily misunderstood by those who have zero clue.
  7. This, the only real difference is if you are joining quite a while after the transition phase - over 2 years after is best. Other then that as others have said - no difference.
  8. Am I the only one that actually supports military action? Let's face it the only reason why we were so peed at the Iraq "War" was the lies of Weapons of Mass Destruction which didn't exist. Back to ISIS though, until they start claiming OIL I presume we wont make a move? I get the feeling the general public don't mind doing the right thing for the right reasons.
  9. Perfect time for this thread to pop up again, I am looking at these as well. I will be buying one shortly.
  10. You did the right thing, if you have it in writing that you gave them the advice then what more can you do. Covering your own back is exactly what I would do and if/when an incident occurs I hope it's only a minor one.
  11. Going to be frank when I say this - Educating the kids in to better safety is making little to no impact. If Students choose to visit websites that are unsafe - they will. I am a strong believer of "Safety" and "Educating" but only both together do you actually make an improvement. If adults can make mistakes even though they know better what hope do our children have, especially teenagers who will purposely rebel. I find "lack of training" a poor excuse for those not willing to admit the truth and this is aimed at many things not just safety for kids. If other Colleges are willing to have open access, that's their responsibility. In my time I have seen incidents/accusations of Facebook (prime example) which occurred on site at a previous job. Luckily enough the School was covered because it was proved that no access occurred on site. There was a huge fuss, social services and the police were involved in this incident. It was through our pursuit of tighter internet access that not only covered the Schools back but cut down the Students potential risks. May or may not agree with me on this but if the Head asked about opening access further I would simply present the risks. I know some may say we can police it better if we can monitor kids on Facebook but the problem is you don't see what the kids are doing on it just by checking the history.
  12. We managed to get a cheap sort of custom system. We can have hard drive boxes scattered around the School, linked to IP Cameras. They are cheap £40 each, okay quality, record fine and although it's a bit fiddly to get recordings off - it does the job. Also allows us to add more quite easy. We have an electrician who puts them in and we only pay for his hours and not full blown quotes etc.
  13. Equipment that gives them an electrical shock every time they attempt to break it, each time one is slammed down hard because the table isn't built for mice it will randomly spray water in the childs face... Too much? As others have said no matter how strong the equipment is - it's down to the Staff member using the room. We all deal with it and it's always the same departments. Add up how much you spend a year on replacing mice/keyboards and let SLT know. There's always those Staff who look after them and those that don't.
  14. I must be the only one not surprised it's taken so long to get HTML5 out there more so. I know it's been the priority of some IT people the second it was released (even though it's had a few revisions since then). I remember about 2 years ago people were complaining about not every website being HTML5 compliant......... Must be just me...
  15. Educating Yorkshire teacher Neil Giffin banned for having sex with former pupils | Daily Mail Online Little bit more of info, they were 18+ when things happened. I seriously questioned the above till I saw the whole messages/texts part.
  16. Don't worry, I don't take it as one - you have been far more polite than what I usually get You are right, I have never seen an invoice for something like this. I always question things though especially when people claim they had no contact details which the Parent had said "was on the letter". Have heard that excuse a lot over the years when I have caught others out to simply not reading it properly. It's why companies force people to sign things on legal binding documents. Spot on though, if you throw a party you usually expect to cover the costs unless asking for money before hand. Which is what most people tend to do. I get the feeling that both Parents are purposely being awkward over this entire thing, considering half of the argument occurred over Facebook (which again says it all). Having a mother who would be the one who got the invoice, she would react exactly how this all happened - resorting to facebook to argue. She would also be the one who would send the "bill" not an invoice
  17. Think if I started to create my own network in anyway at home, the other half would rip in to me and her family would say worse...
  18. Kept my mouth shut over this whole thing, what's interesting is the fact that people are calling outrage and kicking a huge fuss. I don't know what reaction is worse sending an invoice or everyones reaction. This is why most people ask for money first for those who are "attending", from the Mother's point of view she is having to fork out for a child that didn't attend. Again this is why most people say pay up front or at least a deposit. After-all if you decide not to go to a cinema even though you have booked your ticket you still have to pay. I do find it strange that so many people are calling for this poor mother's blood. On the other side for the father to find an invoice, if you are going to make an effort for an invoice surely make the effort to cover your own back and pay upfront? Another one of those - Share me on Facebook to cause an outrage and it hits the news...... People are being murdered but let's concentrate on an invoice for £16.. Sorry
  19. Only thing I like is the EJ/DC because one is an ex driver who does try to be incredibly fair and Eddie but hes always been a great guy and isn't afraid to say what he wants regardless of who he insults. Eddie is the guy who can awkward questions. If Sky took those two on board I would forget about the BBC.
  20. Far more important things in my life to be unimpressed about.
  21. Just got Virgin Media so I can enjoy them all!
  22. Back on 5th, going back to work could be worse: BBC Report on iPhone factory Kinda reminds me of those who say terms like "build quality".
  23. Catch the ones responsible and send them to prison for 10 years. I don't care if they are young or clueless but it is still illegal to hack, they are costing business's millions without a care and I find their excuses exactly what I expect from youngsters who have barely/ever worked and had no real grasp on adult society. Sooner or later they will do something much more serious and the government will have no choice but to be heavy footed.
  24. Important comment there. Also would you be able to survive if you had little business for a while? To be honest there is always a demand because at the moment all the big companies are still over charging. We recently went with Toshiba again with our printer system which we know cost more than else where. Main reasons we stuck with them is pushing their prices down and they actually can link up our system to what we want. We will closely monitor it though and see how we go. With the new Bio Readers we have we can potentially look else where.
×
×
  • Create New...