Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Geoff

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    13,543
  • Joined

Everything posted by Geoff

  1. I posted the answer to this the other day! http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/15674-bulk-update-active-directory-user-info-3.html#post984110
  2. Python is great fun to learn/program in. Google Labs have some really good tutorials. https://developers.google.com/edu/python/
  3. If you just want to play about with the mechanics of games without worrying about the assets, build the game using ASCII graphics.
  4. Given the subject I would be worried about the error rate of any speech recognition software. Granted it'll do the bulk of the work, but you should still spend a decent amount of time proof reading what it has produced.
  5. Ok, what wireless driver are you using?
  6. Googling around yields a few suggestions. Are you using wireless to access the samba server? Doesn't doing suspend vs hibernate make a difference?
  7. You can use 'lsof' to find out what files a process has open. In this specific case, the +D option is probably what you want. lsof +D /path/to/samba/mount/point
  8. So, about that SLA?
  9. Why do you have pst files on the workstations? Why not keep the email on the Exchange server where you can back it up straightforwardly.
  10. Can you recommend a Wordpress plugin for doing this? I have a similar issue.
  11. If your file permissions are correct, who cares?
  12. Extended desktop?
  13. Well I know why it disappears. The cart is an entity just like a player is and when the server restarts, sometimes but not all of the time, the cart is spawned before the world around it is. At which point it falls into the void and is destroyed.
  14. Put deadbolt locks on the doors.
  15. Yeah I need to swtich that pig farm to solar power. @localzuk my steves carts farm cart has disappeared again.
  16. Darn I knew I'd forgotten about something.
  17. Given that I've written the scripts similar monkies use. I usually am able to give the responses that will get me to the outcome I desire, regardless of how technically inept the first line telephone support is.
  18. I've used fetchmail to pull mail from one IMAP/POP3 and put it into another. Consider the following fetchmailrc (which assumes your DNS MX has switched). poll pop3.lea.ac.uk proto pop3 user "example" with password "XXX" smtpname "[email protected]" fetchall The only draw back is all the mail will appear as new. You can schedule this with cron of course, and leave it running for however weeks/months you want the migration to last to pickup new mail.
  19. Two methods. The simplest method, but more time consuming, is to check the rooms before/after a class uses it. However this quickly gets out of hand once you have more than a few rooms. The more sustainable method is to ask teachers to report any problems at the start of the lesson. If they find any you just bill the previous teachers department/check CCTV/Whatever. If the previous teacher kicks up a fuss it's still their fault as they didn't do as they were asked and report problems. Simple and self policing at that point.
  20. So, about that SLA?
  21. Seriously it's awesome. I manage a cluster of 30 asterisk servers with it.
  22. You can mitigate the situation with CCTV somewhat. This will allow you to identify the culprits and punish/bill their parents. However this doesn't actually stop them doing the damage in the first place. Generally preventative measures need to be taken by the staff using the rooms in question. Basically not leaving pupils in the room unsupervised. It's also worth pointing out this is usually a symptom of a wider problem in a school, if you address the underlying issue then this problem will disappear.
  23. Real men script in Python! But more seriously, I hope you're using Chef or Puppet for that stuff.
  24. Doesn't watching iPlayer need a TV license?
  25. One second, I believe I can hear my Data Protection Officer having a heart attack.
×
×
  • Create New...