Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Geoff

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    13,543
  • Joined

Everything posted by Geoff

  1. I got my signalum upgrades done. My bow is a lot more potent. I've also got a crossbow made but will hold off on finishing it until I get some thaumium and enderium sorted out. I also managed to get lost in the nether, @localzuk managed to get me unlost though which I'm grateful for.
  2. Fair enough. Not being privy to the contracts we can only speculate. Unless SAP files a lawsuit of course.
  3. You used to be able to get it for Itanium until 2010 and DEC Alpha way back when too. I suppose that undermines the x86 only argument a bit too (besides x86 != x86-64). :S
  4. There's a lot of Linux ARM systems out there.
  5. I get that MS want everyone running Office365 on Azure. That's fairly obvious from the pricing strategy alone, never mind the features that are Azure only or Azure first in their various product lines. However, to completely abandon Enterprise's who want or are required (we have keep our data local for compliance purposes for example) to have their own data centre? That would seem unlikely. The only way I could see this working is if the 'Azure in a box' idea pans out. Then yes, all the legacy enterprise stack would be obsolete. But given that situation, why port stuff to Linux at all? Why not let it just die? Dell and Microsoft announce 'Azure in a box' for $9,000 a month | Computerworld
  6. KVM works great here (faster too!)
  7. Is the SATA interface actually set to AHCI in the BIOS?
  8. Linux has a background in Scientific compute and large scale clustering. So when this new cloud stuff came along it's the obvious choice to build the infrastructure on. At least that's what NASA decided when they invented it. This is not something windows server was ever designed to do with it's long history in traditional enterprise. So I'm not surprised that Microsoft engineers chose to use the best tool available for the job. In fact I would not be surprised to see a smattering of Opensource tooling all over the Azure stack if you were able to open up the hood and look inside. There are some large aspects of cloud computing infrastructure you simply can't do any other way. So I view this as Microsoft Engineering just being pragmatic, which is obviously a good trait. Perhaps in days gone past before Nadelle was at the helm this would of been politically untenable, but we live in more tolerant times. As for the MS SQL news the same logic doesn't quite work. I am slightly puzzled why Microsoft would want to decouple their server applications from their server OS. Surely this will devalue Windows Server OS as a platform. I'm also concerned exactly how functional this port will be. Will we get all the comparable features to the Windows version such as analytics and support tools? As some of the features depend heavily on Windows Server OS features (the memory management and the clustering come to mind). Finally, what about the licensing? When Microsoft purchased SQL server from Sybase they kept the name and the right for Windows Platforms only. Sybase (now part of SAP) retained the rights to distribute for *nix. Isn't this going to cause a SAP vs Microsoft lawsuit for breach of contract?
  9. Well I finished my mining world portal (it's far safer and quicker than the overworld for traveling around). Visited dlehman, bookmarked his location too and gave him some pistons and slime balls.I've also started working on magic crops. I currently have some coal plants and am working towards tier 2. I need to check if I can automate them though.
  10. They should be able to get Office365 for free. Students and teachers in the UK can now check eligibility for free Office from their school - Microsoft UK Schools blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
  11. I was trying to melt redstone directly in the smeltery. I guess that was what was going wrong.
  12. Ah I see. So the redstone goes in the tank?
  13. How did you make signalum? I tried in my smeltery but the recipe didn't work (ended up with red alloy ingots).
  14. I made some progress last night. I went to the nether, due to lack of diamonds I had to 'cast' the portal frame with lava and water, which is the first for me. I found cobalt and ardite and upgraded my tools to manyullyn. found some diamonds and managed to construct an emerald from the mob drops and further upgraded the durability. I also improved my power situation. I now have an energy cube and more heat generators. I've correctly surrounded them with lava to make them passively powered too (75RF/t currently). I've also made a lot of energy upgrades to improve the efficiency too. I also found a 'king slime' near me. I did manage to beat it to death with my frying pan though. It had got stuck in a pond.
  15. Pigs it seems do indeed fly. Seriously though, I assume this is to help round out support on cloud platforms on Azure. the partnership with Canonical is interesting too. I wonder what else we'll get ported down the line? Desktop software like Office would be nice.
  16. Ah right I didn't find that option. I only found the settings for image loading under 'slow connection'.
  17. I noticed that some threads have a image preview. Sometimes the image isn't relevant because the conversation has moved on. Is it possible to turn this off or otherwise set it so that it only shows if the last post included the image?
  18. We use Request Tracker. A doddle to use (it's all web based, or as an end user you can just interact via email). If you have someone who knows Linux on hand they can get it working within a day. Version 4.4 has just come out. I've not managed to try it out yet, but the new features look impressive.
  19. On ubuntu using unity the setting is in gconf. The keys are: /apps/compiz-1/plugins/unityshell/screen0/options/stop_velocity /apps/compiz-1/plugins/unityshell/screen0/options/overcome_pressure Suggested settings are: overcome_pressure=1 stop_velocity=20 You can reduce stop_velocity further if you want.
  20. Hiding in a witches hut? That sounds safe...
  21. lspci, lsblk, lsusb and on a debian based system lshw are your friends.
  22. Yeah don't go wandering until you have some armour and a sword. I'm currently cowering in a village.
  23. Dam it, just as I was going to have a look. Edit: If you want a decent kitchen sink pack that doesn't suck have a look at the 'Unabridged' pack on the ATLauncher. It's semi-private so you will need to use the code 'unabridged' to add it.
  24. Another option (which is what we do) is centralise you infrastructure and have everyone at the remote sites come in over Terminal services (we actually have Citrix). The bandwidth requirement for a 'typical' remote desktop session is pretty frugal (we get away with 10mbit at some sites of 20 - 30 staff). This will run into problems if you want to use heavy multimedia based applications though (we've found Lync can give us headaches).
×
×
  • Create New...