-
Posts
13,543 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Geoff
-
EduGeek Minecraft - HermitPack Server details
Geoff replied to localzuk's topic in EduGeek Minecraft
Do we have voice comms for this? I'd prefer discord if we don't. -
Cool. Looks good.
-
I can't find a modlist for the HermitPack. Anyone got one?
-
Well quite, our next SAN (less than 3 years away) is going to be clustered so we can get away from this raid business entirely. I'm keeping my eye on Ceph personally as that ticks all our boxes. But commercial SANS and Software solutions such as VSAN and Windows Storage Server will have to be contemplated too. The other option is to say 'Bugger it all' and go for full cloud hosting. The nature of the data we deal with makes this difficult though (I don't work in a school any more).
-
We stopped using RAID 5 in about 2010 due to rebuild times taking too long (I think when we did the maths, 12Tb+ of data and we are guaranteed a second drive failure during the rebuild). On physical servers at a minimum data is RAID 6 with a hot spare and the OS is RAID 1 with a hot spare. SANs are raid 10 under the hood with 4+ hot spares. Disks are cheap, data is priceless.
-
'Completed' Hearts of Iron IV as Nazi Germany. It's took me a couple of months to figure out how to play properly because it's a Paradox game. Apparently the key to Fascist conquest of the globe is to complete Operation Sea Lion in 1936 otherwise the Royal Navy is impossible to counter.
-
Yes, whatever it is you are trying to do. Alternatively if it's just a single command you can put it on the command line for sudo
-
Windows Easy Transfer isn't supported in Windows 10. Microsoft suggest using PC Mover Express. PCmover - Windows Migration from Laplink | Microsoft Recommended | Windows Easy Transfer I've always used the User State Migration tool myself, however I'm using SCCM / MDT which is overkill for the handful of machines that you have.
-
Icinga scales more robustly than Nagios and doesn't have those clunky configuration files. https://www.icinga.org Also look at using check_mk. Check_MK It's more robust than just using NSClient++ and vanilla Nagios checks. It comes with it's own Windows agent.
-
Yes, cron doesn't have a full environment or tty setup when you run things via it. Happily this is easily solved. You need to use sudo to get a full environment. Additionally /bin/sh and /bin/bash are sometimes not the same thing. So to fix both issues here's a generic example: * * * * * sudo -u user -i bash -c '. $HOME/.bash_profile; . $HOME/.bashrc; /home/user/myscript.sh;'
-
I got a bit giddy and got a 1080
-
My case is a Fractal Design Define R5, FD-CA-DEF-R5-BK-W Fractal Design
-
Word from the wise, one of my gaming PCs in the past had a Supermicro case. It was bloody loud. Gaming cases tend to at least attempt some sound proofing (my current machine is water cooled, so it's very quiet).
-
Yes, normally there's a setting telling it to boot of either the onboard or the card. Sometimes (e.g. my gaming mobo has this) you get another option for 'auto' where it randomly guesses what you want (perhaps the cause of the behaviour you are seeing?) or an option for both.
-
I want to upgrade a machine running the 90 day trial to the full edition. Is it just a case of shoving in the Enterprise DVD and telling it to upgrade, or do I have to wipe it and start again (I'd rather not).
-
You can just hide root from apps on Android.
-
These are also awful. Bath Magic: Tub Refinishing / SInk Reglazing / Tile Resurfacing Jami Lin's Passions Gate Openers Gate Operators Driveway Gates Wrought Iron Aluminum Gates Who is Penny Juice? JAMES BOND 007 MUSEUMÂ NYBRO SWEDEN ATV, drone, elbil, elsykkel, rc helikopter, ATV, robot, elatv RUDGWICK STEAM & COUNRTY SHOW
-
I am looking at putting Linux on my new gaming PC and using KVM (for virtualisation) + VFIO (VGA passthru) to run a virtual Windows 10 install with full access to the GPU. Has anyone tried or even seen a setup like this? I am just wondering what limitations there would be alongside the obvious benefits of virutalisation? End result should look like this:
-
Our guild outlaw rogue reckons he's a bit OP and he's going to get nerfed. He posted this as evidence:
-
Dinged 105 last night. I've finished the main quest lines for Stormhiem and Azuna. I still have the end of zone Dungeon quests to do for each one. I've also got my order all humming away. My followers will of finished the 'do 5x 8hr missions' quest by the time I get home from work tonight. So I'm on target for dinging 110 over the weekend at some point.
-
I engaged in some unintentional PvP while levelling (I'm on a PvP server). However hilariously I decided to level in my tank spec. The pesky rogue I had angered by spreading diseases about failed to dent my 1 million hitpoints and eventually died after 20 minutes of me bludgeoning him in the face. DK Blood PvP at it's finest.
-
In beta I chose Demon Blades as my level 100 talent, making things even more dull than I needed to without realising. However, issues caused by the simplifying of specs isn't limited to DH's. Other classes have been reduced to mashing two or three buttons too (Hunters, Mages, Warriors, Paladins, etc). In comparison the rotation for my demonology warlock is horrific (and the other warlock specs are pretty crazy complex too).
-
DPS spec is awful boring drudgery. Tanking is a far more interactive fun experience. The only downside is the bad impression people will of got on early access due to not having access to the full talent tree (very squishy tanking).
-
Meh, I levelled a DH in beta so I've already done all the levelling once already. I don't mind missing things out on live now. Although I'll have to do everything at some point for the Pathfinder achievement. Broken Isles Pathfinder, Part One - Achievement - World of Warcraft
