Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. Unless I'm missing something, why would you want to wake a computer up that is already turned off, when the aim is to turn off computers? That's like me driving to Newcastle to get to Durham.
  2. Take a look at Slim Jims I created a video tutorial of how to do this a few weeks ago. Just testing it today here actually, and so far out of 6 different hardware types my image works on all of them without fail. I know it says WDS but it should work just as well for FOG.
  3. I'm after a TV Card (USB or something) that will work on our netbook for when we go camping. Anybody got something they no longer need/want and are willing to sell?
  4. All servers are in the same subnet.
  5. We have WDS enabled on a server, and DHCP is also enabled. At the install of WDS it configured the DHCP server on itself automatically. It works great, but now I want to enable DHCP on two other servers. These servers do not have WDS, but is there anything I need to bear in mind or configure so that these 2 new DHCP servers point to the first server for WDS?
  6. It's not defeatist at all. As an IT Professional it is important to choose the right tools to do the job. I'm not saying you've made the wrong choice with VB.net, but you've kind of bought a car to race a sprinter. If Access can do everything you need it to do, use it - after all, that's why those features are written in. Why learn fluent Spanish if all you need is to order a beer quickly.
  7. As a 'techie having a go' I would suggest your best bet is to use Access for the whole thing, to simplify it for yourself. Create a form in Access to do what you are doing in VB.net. Then, if you want to allow multiple connections to the Access you can separate the front-end (forms) from the back-end (data) quite easily with an Access feature.
  8. I was thinking this as well. It would be better if the OP changed it so the file opened, got all the data needed at that time into the program and closed the file. That way the file would only be open for a fraction of a second.
  9. As far as I can see this function actually opens a file, rather than telling you if a file is currently open elsewhere.
  10. Silly thought, but have you tried with a plain old text file instead of with a DOCX file?
  11. Fine here
  12. Okay, found the issue and posting here incase anyone else stumbles on it. Glad to see the back of it, that's for sure! It turns out that when you have SP3 installed and also have the checkbox ticked for "User must change password at next logon" in AD it causes this kind of problem. Installation of When you try to log on to a Windows XP SP3-based computer by using a roaming profile, the roaming profile cannot load. and plenty of testing later and it seems to be rectified.
  13. Okay, after a couple of days solid of install something, join domain, test it is definately when I install SP3 as part of the image. So without SP3 profiles are uploaded at first logoff, whereas with SP3 on I have to loggof, restart the machine, log on and the profile is uploaded at this second logoff. Seems I can't use SP3 as part of my image, but can anyone help me answer: 1) Why does this happen? 2) If I don't include SP3 as part of my image, is the same going to happen still when I roll it out using WSUS?
  14. I use Best of Joomla - Fireboard on ours
  15. Can you not do this using Group Policy Preferences on S2008?
  16. We are discarding our age old laptops and have 2 trolleys that are open for offers. I believe we got the trolleys in around 2003, and they are in great condition (I believe). Each trolley holds 16 laptops and has charging facilities built into the back. I don't know what these are worth so make me an offer and I'll put it to the people who say yes. Also, would probably need to collect due to the obvious size of the things.
  17. Haven't seen a server like the beige one in years (2004 to be precise, when we were upgrading our network). I remember it well though, because it took two of us to lift it into the skip. Before we got rid of it we used to use it as a table top for our kettle.
  18. Get that all the time, not sure why. I always install stuff on my machine to try things for people then never remove it, so perhaps it's time to clean up/rebuild my machine.
  19. That's not a cat, it's an IED
  20. It's not that I don't like his films, it's that I thought Stepehen King was a horror writer, and horror isn't my cup of tea.
  21. That too is on my Kindle, but only because it was part of a 'set of books' I downloaded - not sure what it's about but will give it a look. Also got these on some of his works on already so will give him a look
  22. Saving that for my death bed I think I could read them, but I'm more into tales of war, and religion. As somebody who believes in the big fella upstairs I really like reading about religion - in the Dan Brown/Steve Berry perspective. I bought the missus "the girl who kicked the hornets nest" for xmas, but at the time I never realised that it was best to read them in order. I now have that trilogy on my Kindle (downloaded last night) so should make for some good reading in the June half term Wow - just the kind of books I was looking for. I started reading Sniper One by Dan Mills, so shall have to get my hands on a Kindle copy. Not really a fan of Stephen King - granted, I haven't read his works but have seen a couple of the movies that come from his books and it's not my cup of tea - he's more towards horror than thriller right?
  23. Ok, so to give my new Kindle a run for its money I need some recommendations for books to read on holiday. I don't mean "Introducing Server 2008 R2" or "Restful PHP", but more along the lines of a great fictional story. I enjoy Dan Brown books, and books of that style. Action/Thriller's or even a little bit of Sci-fi. I'm not even looking for obscure recommendations - tell me something that you love that I might like, even if there's a good chance I've already read it. Oh, I also enjoy Chris Ryan/Andy McNab books, but haven't read many of them - so any recommendations on these too. Ta muchly
  24. What's the best way to organise books on the kindle? Let's say I have 100 books and I don't want them to all appear in one place as it looks cluttered. Do people just create collections and put their books in there? If so, do you manage this on the kindle itself or can you do it in Calibre/Amazon?
  25. I'm starting to get my teeth into game programming in my spare time. It's pretty tough but the rewards are really good (don't mean it terms of financial reward, just the satisfaction of getting your sprite moving to a console controller, or having him fire a laser beam)
×
×
  • Create New...