Slarty66
Members-
Posts
219 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Slarty66
-
His cameo as a Blind Priest in Young Frankenstein shows his skill at comedy, he ad-libbed the line at the end of the scene.
-
Original Iron Maiden singer Paul D'Anno dies, aged 66
Slarty66 replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
Sad news. First band I ever saw was Iron Maiden supporting Judas Priest 1980. Only time I saw them with him as the vocalist but as much as I like Bruce Dickenson's vocals I actually thought Di'Anno's vocals fitted the raw power of the music a lot better. I know people that knew him and the said he was a very humble person. Bit of a lovable rogue but lived his life to the full. -
Senso not blocking some Classrooms
Slarty66 replied to Slarty66's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Yes, tried deleting the module folder and forcing a restart using CMD. I think I'll have to go into the Services and restart Senso manually as running the script through CMD doesn't seem to work. I'll try the script in MIMIC as well see if that works ,thank you. -
We are experiencing a strange problem with Senso. Two classrooms don't block anything we have put in the Access Block list. We can see them in Senso they are all setup exactly like every other computer room in the Academy but just don't seem to work. Any ideas?
-
Usual last minute room changes. Lots of cabling as staff expect everything to be easy to move ... Removed a Suite of iMacs from the Music room replaced with new PC's. After years of struggling getting Macs working on our network we finally have replaced them! Nothing against iMacs, I have one at home but the hours I've spent troubleshooting them even with Jamfpro has been painful!
-
I'd agree with the comment the cast were pretty bland, the book is the same. I don't think Liu Cixin has that ability of creating interesting characters, something that a lot of Sci-fi does suffer from. But his imagination is up there with Isaac Asimov, Arthur C Clarke etc In the first book a lot of the plotlines are experienced by one character. They changed it to five people to help with telling the story in the tv show. It's worked in that a lot of complex ideas are explained in conversations between the cast. But yes if they adapt the next two books the three main people that are featured I would say only two of the actors cast will be able to carry the epic story. I thought the TV show laid the groundwork for the next twists in the show rather well. I re-watched the series again after re-reading the trilogy and I would say the shows writers have made a very good job.
-
No problem. I would recommend reading the books. I'd say its the one of the best Sci-fi trilogy's I've read up there with Foundation and Dune. The third book Deaths End is the best one with some real mind bending science and twists! Second book follows a lot of what has been hinted at in the tv series. If you do read it there is a chapter in book two The Dark Forest which when I read it I thought this has absolutely nothing to do with this story and I was so just awful. A lot of fans of the books talk about this. But by book three it makes sense and I can see why the author included it. The main difference is that the book has less main characters and are mostly Chinese. I do think book two wasn't as well translated as the first and third book. Different translator for book two. Although there are notes at the bottom of some pages explaining certain events and name as we in the west don't have the reference points I get the feeling that some of the dialogue is a bit lost in translation. I totally understand why the Netflix version was made more international. The Chinese TV version is closer to the Book and is worth watching.
-
I have read the Book trilogy so I can answer your questions. Well some as a) I don't want to ruin the show if they actually get to make it b) The TV adaption is slightly different than the book and there are some parts of book two and three in series one. 1 ) If the Shan-Ti don't understand stories/can't lie, how did they produce a computer game? I have a suspicion this might be answered later, though. It wasn't made clear but the Virtual reality game was created by the ETO as a recruitment tool with the help of the aliens technology. 2) They can't risk various conventional ways to take the "Judgement Day" due to potential casualties/damage to the data, but Chekov's nano-cheesewire slicing the ship into ribbons is much safer? They decided on this as the nano fibres were invisible and the attack would be silent and would kill everyone on board before they realised what was happening. In the book there is only a crew and Mike evans on board. There is no one else so the TV show added parents and children to give the scene more impact. The Chinese TV version was more like the book. 3) If the Shan-Ti can totally mess with people's heads, can't they just drive the Wallfacers mad? Or the whole world, for that matter. Because they can't read Human minds they can't do this directly. But as shown in the show they can get others to try and kill the Wallfacers. In the book the Shan-Ti have humans called Wallbreakers to spy on the wallfacers to figure out their ideas. As for the whole world going mad, events in Book two could be seen as doing that .... 4) Not entirely sure how Auggie's nan-filaments have filter uses The Shan-Ti wanted to stop humans creating this as they could use them to construct Space elevators. These would be used to construct spaceships in space. The books describe it better than I can here! 5) I'm hoping against hope that poor Will (or his brain) gets a happier ending Yes Book three. With some Fairy tales .... The scene with him in a origami boat floating in season one is a nod to the last book. I know I'm being a bit cryptic with some answers but I don't want to give too much away. The first series barely scratches the surface of this epic story! If the Shan-Ti don't understand stories/can't lie, how did they produce a computer game? I have a suspicion this might be answered later, though.
-
Very impressed with the adaptation. The book series is incredibly complex and the changes they have made has made it easier for the casual watcher to understand work. The first series sets up the story for next two books. As you say its epic and the first series only sets up the story. Unlike Game of Thrones there is an end to this book series!
-
We have a classroom with PC's and Photoshop used for photography. The other Art rooms are the usual art room setups. There was a brand new suite of iMac's installed in the room with PC's several years ago before I started here, they only lasted a week as the classroom was broken into and all of them were stolen! They never recovered them. We now have metal security grilles on all IT suite windows to stop computers walking away!
-
My mate wrote a very touching tribute to him. As my friend also owns a guitar shop I have seen Geordies main guitar up close as he was working on it between tours. I don't think a lot of younger guitarists realise his influence. As a guitarist myself I was always amazed at the big sound he achieved. Such a loss.
-
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/nov/27/kevin-geordie-walker-influential-guitarist-with-killing-joke-dies-aged-64 Sad news, my friend has been his guitar tech since they reformed in 2007 and my friends son has worked for them as a sound tech. By all accounts a very nice guy. R.I.P. Geordie
-
I'm amazed people don't wear seatbelts nowadays , our Health & Safety officer at our academy was a Fireman before changing career. He has told me stories of accidents when people where not wearing seatbelts. Usually young people crammed in the back of cars after a night out. When you hear the details of serious accidents it can be very sobering. But people just don't believe that accidents will happen to them sadly.
-
Wow! Mad thing is we have just been handed a staff laptop with a broken screen caused by closing the lid with a pencil nestling on the keyboard. We better not give them any ideas......
- 22 replies
-
- fall damage
- laptop
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Excellent, I also play in a metal band so equally not relaxing ! We were called Purgatory in the late 80's reformed as Trapped In Purgatory almost 30 years later. You think we'd have learned all those years ago....
-
Detecting plagiarism via ChatGPT + Paraphrasing AI
Slarty66 replied to chrisjako's topic in How do you do....it?
I have just had a conversation with a teacher saying the very thing, I also pointed out it would be a bit obvious when a students work suddenly improves with what they have produced before! -
Jeff Beck: British guitar legend dies aged 78
Slarty66 replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
I saw him play in Bristol a few years ago, amazing guitarist. I've been playing for over 40 years and I had no clue how he was making half the sounds! A friend met him a couple of times and said he was a lovely guy, very friendly and humble. Reading the tributes from other guitarists like Gilmour,May,Iommi etc they all saw him as the 'Guvnor'. A real loss to the music world. -
23rd .....
-
My wife was really upset with this news, big fan of The Specials. We went to see them play a few times. To young an age
-
We had this problem as well, first of all we logged in as the local admin then we ran Windows update from powershell. This stopped the critical update message. Obviously you would need the Local admin password!
-
Luckily we've got air con in our office, we haven't left the office today! Server room Air con freezing! It failed once a few years and the temp hit 45, we had to shutdown the server that time! So totally understand the issues people are having with no air con. Amazing how many teachers are trying to book the computer rooms that have air con fitted.....
- 183 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- met office
- red warning
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Slarty66 replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Sounds like someone I know who was an ex-heroin addict...... -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Slarty66 replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Booster yesterday, arrived 20 mins early. Two people in front of me. Was out in 5 mins. Well run in a hindu temple, quite a venue for a booster! No side effects apart from a sore arm today, mind you I'm getting over a bad cold so I probably wouldn't be able to tell ,lol!! -
I saw it Saturday with my oldest boy, he's 15 and had no clue about the Dune universe. I've read most of the 16 books, I'm that much of a geek! He said it was brilliant. His sister saw it with a friend as well and said it was one of the best sci fi movies she has seen. They both can't wait for part two. As someone who's read Dune a lot it was excellent and really captured the books themes without over complicating the plot. I have a soft spot for the 1984 version but this is the definitive adaption. Hopefully if the movies are successful they make Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Slarty66 replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Too true! My younger son had Covid ,both me and my wife have been double vaccinated. His PCR test positive, both ours negative. I'm sure it wasn't 'natural immunity' that stopped us contacting the virus. I just wish our friends would listen. I don't want to have to go to another funeral....
