Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ranj

Members
  • Posts

    843
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ranj

  1. Yes that is exactly what I am after. I need 2008 R2 for that? thats a shame as I am using 2008. Is there any hackable way to do this in plan 2008?
  2. I am setting up SCCM 2007 in a test environment and I have 3 workstations in the lab, A Windows 2008 Standard server as a DC, a Windows 2008 standard server for MDT and SCCM2007 and finally 1 Windows 7 enterprise workstation has a client. I am in the process of creating a PKI infrastructure before I install SCCM but have learnt from the notes I am following that I need a DC with enterprise edition installed and also hosts the active directory certificate services role and is configured as an enterprise root certificate authority. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc872789.aspx When setting up SCCM there is a mixed mode, if I use this what functionality will i use, we dont use SMS 2003 and i know mixed mode is more for sites who are using SMS. Any help would be appreciated. So will I not be able to a PKI without enterprise, that is a problem because our production DC's are all 2008 standard.
  3. Hi We are looking as Smoothwall Network guardian product to replace our Squid Proxy. Our setup in school is we have 2 directory systems running, ActiveDirectory for our Windows XP clients and we use Open Directory as an authentication for our Apple Mac 10.5 clients. I am trying to get my head around how we could authenticate both sets of users using Network Guardian. At the moment with squid this only authenticates with Windows clients and for the Macs we have to use the local authority proxy which allows far more access than we want. For example as a school we block access for students to youtube but because the Macs use the authority proxy they can access it. With Smoothwall we want to control the access to youtube which I believe we can do with scheduling when student can access it but because of our setup I am not sure how this would work. I just wanted to know how other schools are using this product with this type of setup. Speaking to Smoothwall they have said that for our Mac users they can be presented with a SSL page prompting for their username and password and it is possible with Smoothwall to lookup at both AD and OD for creditionals. I would be interested to see how schools with this type of setup or running 2 directory systems have it working with Smoothwall Network Guardian. Thanks
  4. Hi Folks I just planning on how we will be deploying Windows 7 in our school. My idea is to have 4 different builds of machines. Base Image (Windows with Office and apps which every computer needs) Classroom Image (Software used by teachers in lessons) Admin/office Image (Software used by support staff and other non teachers) IT Rooms Image (Pupil Software which needs to be available to students as well as some teacher software for staff to go into an IT room when there own classroom is busy) At the moment I am concentrating on just the Base Image, the minimum software which will be on every machine in the building. At the moment I am thinking the base image will have the following: Windows 7 Office 2010 Adobe Flash Player .Net Framework Java Runtime Silverlight Movie Maker Windows 7 Admin Pack Quicktime Windows Media Encoder VLC and other Media codecs for any computer to play the majority of video and audio content. Windows updates PDF Printer (thinking of hosting this on a server) so it can updated easily when an upgrade comes out. I also thinking whether we should put Sophos on this base build or just use Sophos Management console to rollout the antivirus once the machine is built. Does anyone know of anything else which would be useful to add to this base image. I am not interested in any school specific software just useful apps which would be useful for every user in the building regardless of role. Any advice would be most appreciated.
  5. Do you use a proxy? If so could be a proxy problem with Windows Update refusing to connect, way to test if you can bypass it.
  6. Hi I am currently playing around with MDT2010 and WDS and attempting to create a thin image with just Windows 7 and then using MDT to add Office 2010 and other apps once Windows 7 has loaded, is on the domain and other customisations have been inserted onto the machine. I am finding this is a lot more complex to configure, I have had success on using WISM to create an unattend script but there a few issues there and I am tempted to scrap all of this and create one thick image with all the apps we would want, sysprep it so we can deploy to lots of workstations. Similar to how we do it now. Question I have is in which section would I want to inject drivers of a particular build of machine. If I did a thick image, deployed this with WDS, is it clever enough to deploy the image to a workstation, identify that this machine is a particular build with a certain processor, graphics card etc, and WDS pulls the driver information to that machine. Machine builds itself with the drivers and application and happy days. Has anyone managed to put this into production? Thanks
  7. Hi All I am going to soon be presenting to the schools senior team on a Windows 7 and Office 2010 rollout. I have a number of reasons why we are in a position to be ready for Windows 7 and Office 2010 which are 1) Our Back office servers are more or less Windows 7 ready 2) we pay for an annual schools agreement which already licenses us to use Windows 7 and office 3) 95% of our machines meet or exceed the specification for Windows 7 & office 4) As a school we want to be more stringent with the use of USB sticks and have an encruption policy for confidential data to be secure and Windows 7 will enable us to do this and manage it appropriatly with Bit Locker. Whilst I am confident we will get the go ahead what would seal it would be if I somehow I can show that the use of 7 and office will enable us to meet the framework for Ofsted in a far better way than we do currently. Having looked at the framework it seems Ofsted don't have too much to say on IT in general but more how the school utilise ICT for teaching learning. I may be wrong though and thought it would be worth asking here if there are any good whitepapers to support my case. I know Becta have a lot on good use of ICT but with there position now I am not sure if it would be worth me quoting them in my presentation. Thanks
  8. Couple of things to consider when putting sophos on a image. Have a read of this KB article: Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000+: including Sophos Anti-Virus current versions in a disk image
  9. I have been processing schools agreements for 4 years now and am still confused by them. They get confusing every year IMO.
  10. I am having this same problem. I have tried changing the pens for a newer replacement and still have the problem. The red light on the tray for the ren pen intermittently just keeps flashing. Whats odd is if I change the black and red pen around it seems to be ok.
  11. Is there a way to utilise this with a JPEG. At logon I want to be able to put an illustration.
  12. Hi As some of you maybe aware Ofsted are really looking into how schools are managing E-safety. I have been asked to created an AUP so when a user clicks on CTRl+ALT+DEL, it displays the AUP. I am aware on how to do this in Group Policy, the question I had was is there any way I can insert a picture into this AUP as well. There is a very good illustration that demonstrates to kids the importance of E-safety and we would like to show this at login, does anyone know how to do this? Thanks
  13. Hi Just wanted to ask if other 02 users are having problems at 20.47 hours. Trying to ring peeps and keep getting connection error on my phone, even after turning it off and back on. Anyone else having similar issues?
  14. Ahh yes I was under the impression that scavenging was set but I think that was when we had a 2003 network. I dont think I enabled it when we moved over to 2008 so have set that now. I'll see how we get on and report back. Thanks for the replies.
  15. We are running it on a Windows 2008 server. We only have 1 DHCP server on the domain.
  16. Hi Seem to be having a problem where occasionally 2 computers may get the same IP address. Problems we begin to see are things like when using VNC we intend to connect to a particular machine but instead get connected to another machine on the network. We can resolve it by running an ipconfig /release and an ipconfig /renew on both machines and it sorts it but then we can have the problem reappear on other machines on the network. I have checked how many IP addresses are leased out and we are barely using 50% of our allocation so I know that we aren't running out of IP addresses. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else we could try? Thanks
  17. Yes I wasn't looking properly, it was a port issues on the Kaspersky firewall. All working now and working quite well actually :-)
  18. Hi I am seem to be having major issues trying to get my partners Mac to remotely connect to my windows machine using remote desktop. The Windows machine has Windows 7 installed with Kaspersky Anti-Security 9 and the Mac has OSX Snow leopard. I know the issue is with kaspersky firewall because if I turn off the protection it works fine and I can use either RDP for mac or CoRD to remotely connect in. I tried to open the Kaspersky firewall up as much as possible but still cant get it to connect when the firewall is turned back on. Can anyone help? I have tried the Kaspersky forums but doesnt seem like there is a thread related to this. Thanks
  19. Hi At our school we have introduced WDS as our method of deploying images, at the same time I was also recommended to look at Novell Zenworks 10.2. This was coming from a Novell guy who did some virtualisation work for us as he was from a Novell background and said it was far more powerfull than SCCM. I originally started to look at WDS and we have managed to get it working at a very basic level, we had a few problems on the way and we have got it working so that we can deploy a wim file from a WDS server to the client. The next stage is really to automate it all so there is no need for a technical person to be at the end users desk. The aim here is to make it fully zero touch rather than a lite touch deployment, so if a machine is playing up and we want to reimage we can go to a web console or similar, pick a machine click a few buttons and it will reimage a machine and next boot, give it the correct computer name if it's already been on the network, join it to the domain etc etc. I am aware that there is a lot of work on the Microsoft side to get this working and it will likely involve using SCCM. We have made more progress using zenworks but its been a nightmare just to image a machine and drivers and coming from a Microsoft background its been a struggle to fully understand a Novell product. As you know us techies have limited time with so many things on the ball that to spend a lot of time on it would not be possible. I recently got a quote to get a consultant in to get zenworks working and showing us what we need to do for it to work in our environment with the requirements we had. Its a lot of money and because of the issues we have had I am now thinking whether we should get a Microsoft SCCM consultant in to see what can be offered and at what cost. Does anyone know of any Microsoft SCCM consultant's/companies that they recommend for this type of work? It would literally be getting us up and running with this, there are a few goals we are looking to achieve mainly from a Windows 7 deployment. If anyone can recommend please give me a shout.
  20. Hi Its come to the stage where we dont have enough room in the server racks to house our flat screen monitor. I now need to buy a KVM which takes the minimum amount of space. After having a look I can see there are all sorts of different ones. IP or non IP, 8 port 16 port etc. Can anyone recommend a good 16 port KVM, ideally I am looking at one with USB connections as all of our servers have USB and our Mac Xserve is only USB and have found it flaky using one of the ps2 to usb converters as the KVM we have at the moment is just a basic belkin one which doesnt have the fancy bits and screen and is only PS2. Also is it worth spending the extra on an IP KVM, am I right in saying that the benefit this gives is we can control all of our servers via IP (similar to using VNC). If the network was to go down I am assuming this would stop working? have people found the control better than using something like RDP or VNC? I have also seen KVM consoles which have a single copper port at the back of the KVM and then just a video and kb/mouse input to each server, I like this as there will be less cables everywhere, has anyone got this, is it any good? If anyone could advise it would be most appreciated.
  21. So I took a clone from the live ESX cluster of an exchange server VM. I have to mention that it was a running VM and i didn't stop it. I copied the contents and have now tryed to integrate it into Workstation 7 and whilst the VM runs I now have a new problem which I am not able to resolve. The Exchange VM which is running on x64 Windows 2008. When it runs and gets to the Ctrl+ALT+DEL screen, it does not allow me to enter a username and password, it seems the keyboard has stoppedworking and it is just stuck on that screen. I have tried all sorts of possibilities to unlock the machine and attempt to enter the password but it just doesnt seem to work. Whilst booting up I can access the keyboard and go through the different options such as safe mode but when it gets into Windows it just doesnt to work. Has anone seen this problem?
  22. Hi All I have a CLEVO laptop and it currently has Windows 7 installed. I now want to create a separate partition to install Ubunutu 9.10 64bit. I attempted to install this and the install part worked fine but as soon as I rebooted all I seem to be getting after the BIOS is 'grub loading'. I get no other error messages and am stumped on what the problem is. I have looked at other threads on here and other forums and it seemed to say the problem could be with BIOS. It also meant I couldnt load windows either but I fixed this by loading the windows cd, running repair and then fixing the MBR which another thread mentioned. Once this was done windows loading up ok. I have checked nearly every setting and it has made no difference. Can anyone help? I tried reinstalling 9.10 but came up with the same problem. I am not sure what I did in Windows may have caused it. I have a 320gb drive and I shrunk it using disk management as I know the ubuntu will see this free space and install the OS onto it. Should I have left this and let 9.10 create some space automatically during install? If anyone can advise what I am doing wrong it would be most appreciated. Thanks
  23. Can I use the new query to find dormant computer accounts.
  24. Can I ask if any school is using the Asus EEBox PC Model EB1502. I am thinking of trying these out in a small area where the main use is office internet and online exams? Does anyone recommend them? thanks
  25. Can I ask if any other school has had problems with the latest release of PCE 3.0.0.9 We have IE7 installed across the network and I was under the impression that the latest version was meant to have resolved these problems. A few people have said that since version 9 it seems to be working fine. I am thinking maybe the problem is to do with the version of IE7 we are using. We are currently using IE7 Ver 7.0.5730.13. Can I ask schools who have version 3.0.0.9 of PCE to clarify whether the IE version you are using is the same as ours or different? We are getting the same problems as we got with 3.0.0.7 when if you go to a site you just get the circle spinning and also at times when IE will just close down. Can anyone help?
×
×
  • Create New...