yhttech
Members-
Posts
95 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by yhttech
-
I'm in charge of a small private school's network (approximately 90 faculty and staff/600 students) Only half the students have their own logons, only 4th - 8th grades. We are currently using Carbonite to back up the servers and data, however we're somehow on a HomePlus level subscription, and I'm bringing in a new W2k12 server into the domain over the summer, as we're using 2 server 2003 boxes now. I am starting to research backup solutions, we are really too small a network to justify the costs of a BackupExec type solution. I'm open to recommendations.
-
I think the KB install fixed it
-
They're starting to report.
-
-
I've started to set up a WSUS server on a box running W2K8 R2 x64. My domain is a small mixed (XP and 7) environment at the moment, we're planning W7 rollout over the summer. I've started testing my SUS server, however all my clients that are showing up in the SUS console show "Not yet reported". I've installed KB2720211 on the server, and still can't seem to get the machines to communicate, although the GPO is controlling the settings for the timing and everything. Any ideas?
-
Does the server this is going to be hosted on have to be outside the school's firewall at all? Before purchasing an SSL, is there a way to test the setup to see if it truly is what I want?
-
We already have a domain and it's hosted by bluehost.com. Their site says they have SSL. I guess I should contact them?
-
Thanks, I'll contact them. Since our website is hosted by a 3rd party, do you see that being an issue?
-
I'm trying to set up a server for HAP+, the setup is going well, and the issue I'm having is startssl.com won't let me authenticate to download a certificate. Are there any other providers for certificates that anyone knows about?
-
I have a SonicWall Pro 2040 firewall with VPN capabilities. I followed the directions I found on Google to set it up to accept incoming connections to the VPN, went home, installed the global vpn client from sonicwall, and it won't connect to my external IP. I'm not sure if the issue is with my router at home or the configuration. Anyone have this unit or similar model that can share their expertise with me?
-
Impact of DeepFreeze/HDGuard on User Profiles & Logins
yhttech replied to justinmglc's topic in Windows 7
Mandatory profiles could be your solution here. Give all students one shared mandatory profile. You need to configure the software that "freaks" while setting up the profile. This way, everyone who logs in gets the same profile. You can also set it to keep a local copy of said mandatory profile, and have the computers poll the server for updates upon startup. Building a profile for the first time can take time, depending upon how much data you have to create.- 7 replies
-
- deep freeze
- hdguard
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Movie Maker issues in Windows 7/Server 2008 environment
yhttech replied to slacker20012's topic in Windows 7
Movie Maker is not really geared for an environment that uses folder redirection. I remember reading about a registry hack for it, I can't find it at the moment. -
The network I have has a SonicWall 2040 Pro firewall and the device has VPN capabilities. I've followed How Do I... Configure SonicWALL VPN Connections? - TechRepublic document, and when I try to connect to the VPN, my client PC does not connect. The IP address I give it will not ping as well from my client PC. I get the same IP from the Sonicwall box as I do when I'm inside my network and use whatismyip.com. Any ideas?
-
No reason to, unless you want to take them out of the regular VLAN. Print jobs are not huge bottleneck causes.
-
Thanks, got it. I just need to test behavior on a WXP machine.
-
I've done that, except for the checkbox for the XP/2003 machines...however, when I log in as my test user (the only user that the GPO currently applies-for testing purposes; test machine is W7), I get a message in the event log that says that it failed to apply policy and redirect "documents" to network share - redirection options 0x1211 - the following error occurred: "Could not create folder on network share \\server\share\%username% - the security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object. All users have network home folders that are created when user accounts are created. I don't want to delete these pre-existing folders.
-
I have recently taken over a small domain with both XP and W7 clients. Is there a simple way to redirect documents folders? The domain is a functional 2003 domain, I have a W7 workstation with the RSAT, so I have access to the Server 2008 GPOs. Can anyone help me configure this so I do not have to distribute a memo asking the users to compare contents? I know it can be a pain with folder redirection when you have a mixed domain. I am planning a W7 deployment soon.
-
I'm looking at getting some proposals together from different companies to cover my small private school with WIFI. Anybody know of a reliable, low cost system that doesn't require the purchase of a separate controller box? I've seen some reviews on a product called Ubiquiti UniFi, if anyone has experience with this, your opinions would be appreciated, if you have a better suggestion, could you let me know of it?
-
I'm in the planning and testing stage of a Windows 7 deployment for my school. As it stands right now, all student and teacher profiles are local, the teacher's desktop is redirected to a network share. There are some apps that run on our server who's shortcuts I am trying to push via GPP to the user's desktop upon login. I'm getting an error that says that the Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070002 The system cannot find the file specified.' This error was suppressed. The drive that the shortcuts are pointing to is mapping, and that is a GPP also. Anyone with an idea?
