Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

timtom

Members
  • Posts

    80
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by timtom

  1. Anyone going to the JANET Networkshop42 https://networkshop.ja.net/ next year or any previous years? Any good? I've not been to one before but looks like a good do despite being 3 days residential!
  2. If you migrate the VM's to another host before rebooting then you can reboot the fine. Assuming your cluster quorum settings can sustain one failure, if not then the whole cluster will forcibly shut down anyway (done that)
  3. We did this over the summer and it went smoothly. If you're running VMM 2012 you can just migrate although the machines have to be powered off and the network needs to be configured the same. When that's done, re-add or check the network, check storage and you're away. It does the storage migration as part of it.
  4. We've had the exact same issue, plugging in speakers or headphones has sorted it straight off. Really weird that there's an audio requirement somewhere!
  5. we use Lansweeper which works very well for us
  6. I used to have this exact issue - the switches would continue to work but you couldn't get into the management until a hard reset. The fix seemed to be (well, they've all held for 3-4 months now) upgrading to the latest firmware. At the time for us this was from PK1.4 to PK1.15 although there is likely an even later one now
  7. I've struggled with that for a long time GPP shortcut creation and then GPP file copy for shortcuts and use the GPP options for item level targeting. They worked but GPP shortcut creation added 10 seconds onto the login and GPP file creation added 5 seconds. In the end I figured a few invalid shortcuts was better than 5 seconds on every login and I'm just in the process of going back to redirected Start Menu
  8. NobleGuy thanks for this, I've also been struggling with GPP printers that were hit and miss as well as very slow, scripts that were also hit and miss and easy to enter information incorrectly. Just trailling PrintMAN at the moment and it does the job simply for setting the defaults. Computer based policy to deploy and it's knocked a good 10 seconds off our login time compared to GPP
  9. I'm surprised you need SCCM to deploy an MSI generated through the AAMEE? I use SCCM to deploy our msi created that way now but in early trials I just used AD and I'm fairly sure from memory that worked! I'm against putting too much stuff on the golden image.. what happens when you want to deploy CS7 or you don't have enough licenses for all your workstations?
  10. We give our students a tiny £1 and then a further £2 if they complete an enrolment quiz. We're a 6th form though and in the prospectus it is advertised that to do e.g Photography you'll be expected to spend £20 in print credit - in the same way Maths you're expected to spend £20 on books
  11. We also use SCCM for the msi and then the adm templates depending on OU container. It's the same 'channel' settings regardless of teacher or student msi. But - when we were on CC3 I used to use Orca and there is a property field where you can enter the channel. It resulted in loads of packages for each different student+channel version but if you don't have OU's setup it's an easy way round it
  12. timtom

    Sigh Shortcuts

    Apologies to drag this up again but I've found a much better way of doing it. If you use GPP Files option to copy from the network share you can still keep the item-level targeting but the file copy operation is a lot quicker than the create shortcuts. I'm just doing some tests at the moment but it's a couple of seconds instead of 20 seconds so a huge improvement. (Happy Days)
  13. timtom

    Sigh Shortcuts

    Thanks Cache I know the one and that sounds promising. I didn't realise it worked like that I thought it meant the shortcut gets removed when the GPO is no longer applied. I will test and see ...!
  14. timtom

    Sigh Shortcuts

    hmm, half got an answer to my own question. About 90% of our software is sitewide, so I only need to use a delete GPP to remove the software that may or may not be installed rather than wiping out everything which we're doing at the moment
  15. Oh shortcuts shortcuts shortcuts... I have a nice setup of GPP shortcuts for different user groups that check if the exe exists and only creates the shortcut if so. Before this is also clears out the Start menu to remove any junk in there so I am confident on each login the start menu is only the shortcuts I want. Unfortunately this adds around 20-30 seconds on each login. The total login time isn't terrible - only 30-40 seconds total - but I'm trying to get that down. I could go for the popular redirected start menu but I hate having shortcuts that don't work and general clutter. At the moment I am thinking sticking to GPP but removing the delete all option. The GPP's are create so this means only the first login creates the shortcuts and later login's are quicker. Does anyone got any amazing solution that creates a neat, personalised menu but without the longer login times? Thankyou all
  16. timtom

    A new Homedir

    Sorry to drag this up but it was a classic 'duuur' moment for me. I wasn't being patient enough and the change hadn't replicated to our other DC's yet.... so all working as intended, just give it a minute before you login
  17. We use Lanschool and waay before that RM Tutor 3 - although they are both net support school underneath. Great products and a good price. We trialled Impero but didn't use most of the features so couldn't justify the price
  18. timtom

    A new Homedir

    Hi All, I hope someone can help I'm looking to move a number of users from one server to another. At the moment they pick up their homedirectory (to which their my documents point to) from the Active Directory field for map a home drive. Simple enough! Unfortunately when I change that I need to wipe/reset their profile for it to pick up the changes - otherwise their 'N' drive still points to the old location. I'd rather not have to wipe all their profiles - does anyone know a way to force an update? Thankyou
  19. Hi - do you need drivers? I've got the FC verison of this connected to a 2012 host and it doesn't need anything that Windows doesn't pick it up itself. Apologies I know that's not what you asked!
×
×
  • Create New...