-
Posts
2,502 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesb
-
Now I'm going to have to go and change all my passwords...
-
Definitely didn't work on the PC, on something like my fourth run-through of the game I got bored and left him underwater for a few hours to see what would happen. Nothing did.
-
If we start going down this road, that people shouldn't be allowed to talk to students as there's a potential risk of gathering information we may as well lock the little darlings away at home, after CRB checking the parents of course. Can't let them go out after all, there's scary strangers out there.
-
Not to mention computers, and if you do things just right (or wrong depending on how you look at it) the entire domain.
-
Just to bring a different viewpoint, I paid a bit more for an intensive residential course, and didn't regret it for a moment once I was there. Its all about the way that you learn best and what suits you most. For some, its self-study or e-learning, for some its regular classes, and for me it happens to be an intensive practical course involving 14 hours of lessons a day for two weeks (no days off at the weekend). So, decide what suits you best, then go with that one.
-
Multiple choice tests, with some simulations. Books can be picked up from Amazon fairly cheaply, and its worth at least picking up the ExamCram and working through it. While a lot of people say that the tests are easy and anyone could pass them I personally believe that without the background, you would probably have some difficulty. If you fail though you can always take a second shot, which gives you a free second attempt at the exam.
-
Where can you buy these?
-
It took you until the fourth? Sickness quotient, 61% apparently. Even on spoof tests I'm disturbingly sane.
-
It is real, its fifteen metres, and it fails the moment you have more than one variable input on a circuit. It wasn't meant to be some amazing hacking tool as they appear to be trying to present it, just a demonstration of what could be done.
-
I.On the first day Sysop did the unpacking of the boxes and the construction of the rack. And he called forth low creatures known as PFYs to unpack the machines in rooms, while he worked on the higher task of the Server Cabinet. And the machines were unpacked, and they were plugged in, and lo there was much cursing as only darkness reigned. II. On the second day did Sysop call forth the electrician, who brought light to the School at Sysop's command. And for a time there was rejoicing, and the PFYs were set forth to make arcane drawings of the layout of the holy Network while Sysop installed the Operating System of the Servers. And at the end of the day there was rejoicing, for it was On Schedule. III. On the third day Sysop brought forth the Active Directory, and the PFYs were sent about to bring life into the machines in classrooms and in offices alike. And life was brought to many machines, though some refused to acknowledge the Great Network for a time. IV. On the fourth day Sysop summoned his PFYs, and made them construct an Image in his design. And the PFYs did, and Sysop drank coffee, and all was good. V. On the fifth day Sysop summoned his PFYs again as he deployed the Images they had created perfectly to his design. And as the Images were sent forth he and the PFYs travelled to the land of Pub for a rest. VI. On the sixth day Sysop visited alone and unbidden, confirming that all was working well. VII. On the seventh day Sysop rested. VIII. On the eighth day darkness entered the world and evil and chaos reigned. Sysop and his PFYs have ever since been bound in great battle against this evil, brought forth by the hordes of those they call Users.
-
Move from Roaming profiles to less hungry profile management
jamesb replied to ranj's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
My guess is that you're right and its merging his profile back when he logs onto an old machine. Username's irrelevant to this if he's using the same account, as it'll be using the object GUID. -
Sorry, but who are you talking about? I think I may have heard the names but since I avoid television like the plague (don't own one) and only read a very careful selection of papers I've managed to avoid hearing anything about these two.
-
10 Commandments for Network Admins: 1. Thou shalt understand the language of binary. 10. Do what thou wilt shalt be the whole of the law.
-
Case of good French wine? Or a selection of fine cheeses, with some good port?
-
It all depends if we're talking about commandments for techs or users. Users: 1. Thou shalt backup thine work. 2. Thou shalt understand that a backup means two copies. 3. Thou shalt learn into which sockets the wires of thine device should go. 4. Thou shalt learn the difference between thine computer, the network, and the internet. 5. Thou shalt not call upon the assistance of the divine ones to understand an 'out of paper' message. 6. Thou shalt not call upon the divine ones unless you have written down a message of error which was displayed. 7. Thou shalt not write down your password upon a post-it. 8. Thou shalt not complain when websites are blocked for good reason. 9. Thou shalt not question the authority of the divine ones. 10. Thou shalt not trespass upon the holy place of the servers.
-
I'm the opposite, if I wake up too late it slows me down all day. Usually I'm awake around six, today I overslept until ten and now I can't summon up the energy to do anything. Plus I have a headache from oversleeping.
-
I have to say, I actually prefer Bing. That might be just the pretty pictures though. Google's simplicity approach to things is getting a bit dated.
-
You can use as many as you can cram into the machine.
-
I'm not concerned about it doing everything, I'm concerned about Google's lack of any respect for user's privacy. I'm also concerned that they appear to be delusional - talking about creating an OS which won't need any anti-virus or even carry any security risks - Google Oompa-Loompas dream of virus-free OS ? The Register. They succeeded so well in making Chrome secure after all (ignoring the security vulnerabilities in it, and its tracking back information straight to Google HQ).
-
No problems here either.
-
Isn't that just what your standard MIS system relies on anyway?
-
Why wouldn't it be?
-
Not quite, it looks like the maximum fine is $11000 per violation, so each day would increase the total by only $11000. Of course they do mention that each breach of any individual rule is a separate violation, so the fine could work out being several times $11000 each day.
-
I have yet to work in a single place where their main, mission-critical applications are written in Java. If I did I wouldn't want to work there for long. I have seen these programs written for DOS, Windows, various flavours of Linux and even one which needed users to telnet into a Unix box, but I've never seen one written in Java.
